PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone beryled a lite desktop :D

Redlance
December 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
In the line of digital blasphemy (Akin to a an uncompressed TGA of a stick figure)

has anyone gotten the odd idea of iceWm or fluxbox and beryl?

just curious

hanzomon4
December 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM
No because iceWm, fluxbox and beryl all are window managers, hence you can only run one at a time.

In gnome beryl replaces metacity, because metacity is a WM

Redlance
December 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Ahhh i see well that kinda explains it :D
I guess the confusion is my newness thinking gnome/kde and icewm/fluxbox are in the same boat guess not

SlCKB0Y
December 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM
I am running compiz with XFCE

xopher
December 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Ive been using gnome for a long time now, tried KDE in the past but never liked it.

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of XFCE compared to Gnome?

Im thinking of switching over to Xubuntu. :)

midwinter
December 1st, 2006, 03:49 PM
I usually run Beryl by itself, works quite nice.

fuscia
December 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
beryl, in console mode, would be cool. you could do echo 'hello world' and have it actually echo.

SlCKB0Y
December 2nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of XFCE compared to Gnome?

XFCE is really quick.

Redlance
December 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
I am running compiz with XFCE

Nice!!!:KS
I might just have to try that :D

3rdalbum
December 2nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
XFCE works quite well with Compiz.

There's a video somewhere of Fluxbuntu running with Beryl instead of Fluxbox, maybe you should look on Youtube or somewhere for it.

.t.
December 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
I run XFCE with Beryl... But I've hacked in a load of GNOME to run with it...

el_itur
December 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm having a strange effect with beryl and compiz on xfce, the desktop icons moves when I click an icon or window (both with xfce4-desktop and with nautilus), it's very annoying because I can't handle the desktop.

None of you has this problem?

bonzodog
December 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
It *could* be fun adding compositing to the lite WM's. Openbox with a good composite manager....hmm. Some of the composite managers could have code from beryl or compiz added to them, and that would make them cool....

.t.
December 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm having a strange effect with beryl and compiz on xfce, the desktop icons moves when I click an icon or window (both with xfce4-desktop and with nautilus), it's very annoying because I can't handle the desktop.

None of you has this problem?
I have this problem. It seems to happen when Beryl is started after xfdesktop. It's not happening at the moment, and does happen with nautilus. Get xfdesktop or nautilus to start after Beryl and you should be set to go.

kuja
December 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Beryl with XFCE or Flux? Sounds interesting ... but doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being lite? Beryl + Beryl-Manager + Emerald on my machine, ALONE, is taking up 100MB of RAM.... Not exactly light.

dbbolton
December 8th, 2006, 12:48 AM
i haven't tried. but i'm crazy enough to.

BOBSONATOR
December 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Beryl on Fluxbox would be amazing.

el_itur
December 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I have this problem. It seems to happen when xfdesktop is started after Beryl (or maybe the other way round). It's not happening at the moment, and does happen with Nautilus. Get Beryl to start after xfdesktop or Nautilus and you should be set to go.

I didn't try switching the way those apps starts, by now I'm starting beryl or compiz after xfdesktop, so I believe you mean the other way around. By the way this problem happens with nautilus too. It's just the same.

Thanks for the tip anyway, I will try it now.

spockrock
December 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I run xubuntu with beryl.

.t.
December 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah; I probably meant the other way round. I've just dipped into sluggish GNOME again, so everything happens in the right order. Nonetheless, post your findings here, and I'll update my post accordingly.

el_itur
December 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah; I probably meant the other way round. I've just dipped into sluggish GNOME again, so everything happens in the right order. Nonetheless, post your findings here, and I'll update my post accordingly.

Thaks man, that fix it. I only have a question now, how do I make this settings default. I still want to use my desktop.

and... xfce panels are traslucid when they loose focus. Do you have the same effect. It doesn't matter but are an odd behaviour

K.Mandla
December 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
xfce panels are traslucid when they loose focus. Do you have the same effect. It doesn't matter but are an odd behaviour
I believe they're set to be that way. If you want, there should be an option to keep them opaque under the Panels menu.

.t.
December 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Hmm... I was sure it was a Beryl option... I'm sure I remember turning it off. Perhaps I'm thinking of the panel shadows.

With regards to keeping it in that order, you could probably write some kind of script, but I'm not sure what that would be like at the moment. As I said, I'm using GNOME at the moment.

c.dric
January 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
i've just installed compiz on my XFCE using this how-to for Nvidia cards (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=326592), and it works great.

the only problem i still have is that i can't zoom out of the cube, i can zoom in tho ...
probably my newly installed graphire tablet that needs more tweaking.