PDA

View Full Version : openoffice calc cell formatting

shoagun
December 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Hi,

does anyone know how to control openoffice calc? oo seems to insist on having the number of decimal places set. Say I want to enter the numbers

oo defaults to two decimal places, and it formats the cells to be

If I set it to three decimal places, I get

But, I want it to only print exactly what I write! Anyone know how to do this? As a second question, does anyone know how to change the default cell formatting? So that I don't have to play with it every time I start a new spreadsheet?

Alternatively, is there a better spreadsheet program out there? One that lets you do what you want, instead of forcing you to do what it thinks you want?

akniss
December 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Alternatively, is there a better spreadsheet program out there? One that lets you do what you want, instead of forcing you to do what it thinks you want?

I personally prefer gnumeric. It is basically an excel clone, but actually works better for statistical tasks. However, it can be a real pain in the @$$ to print from... at least that's my experience. It might be worth your time to give it a go.

sudo aptitude install gnumeric

slimdog360
December 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Another vote for gnumeric here but Id say you will get the same result. You will have to set the formatting as text rather then a number format.