PDA

View Full Version : Web space going to space, suggestions?

Phatfiddler
December 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM
I used my space to host a clan site for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for about 6 months, but finished that project and now I'm left with all this bandwidth! Unix based 10gb space with 250gb transfer monthly, php, flash, ftp, 5000 e-mail accounts, forums, etc etc and full support. I thought about using it as a mirror for some of the more popular Ubuntu packages like Beryl, but don't know how. Let me know what you think.

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 06:12 AM
mm mirrors are boring. There are a lot of people around trying to start up their own little projects. I suggest you pick a project that you're interested in/would like to help and let your space be used as a website for that. and you'll still have space left over to do multiple projects or even a mirror if you'd still like.

Phatfiddler
December 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Quick response:) I considered maybe starting my own project, and actually have released my own software in the past (before I switched to Linux, so essentially for Windows only) with very positive results. The problem is that I am fluent in VB.net;) Just started learning Python, so at least that whatever I create can be accessible on various platforms...

coder_
December 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
I'll take it ;) :p

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Quick response:) I considered maybe starting my own project, and actually have released my own software in the past (before I switched to Linux, so essentially for Windows only) with very positive results. The problem is that I am fluent in VB.net;) Just started learning Python, so at least that whatever I create can be accessible on various platforms...
well the great thing about so much space is that you can host multiple projects. I'd be surprised if you could hold any less than 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went up to 20. If divvied up evenly, most projects will never use their 512 MBs of space, and linux programs usually have fairly low bandwith as well. So you have a lot to play with.

pedrotuga
December 1st, 2006, 06:38 AM
Offer it to host some local band's music.
Or, if you don't know any, anounce it properly here and lend some bandwidth to some tux related project. You can offer a certain amount of bandwidth on some mirror for example. Don't assign all demanded bandwidth to the mirror.

weatherman
December 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM
a beryl mirror seems like a good idea to me, I'd suggest just contacting them on how to set it up

Phatfiddler
December 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Giving host space for a few projects here would probably put the space to best use. Could maybe set part of the bandwidth up to specifically handle mirrors.

Besides having the space, though, I also have a domain that could be used. I don't have it directed to any folder on my server yet, so it's blank atm, but it's www.cutlersoftware.com. Seems like it could be a good front for such projects.

Phatfiddler
December 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Also, I have a file manager installed on the site which allows unlimited number of users (password protected of course) , and allows me to assign folders to each individual. These in turn could be the sub-domains for such projects. Let me know what you think.

rowanparker
December 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
May I ask what this file manager is?

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Giving host space for a few projects here would probably put the space to best use. Could maybe set part of the bandwidth up to specifically handle mirrors.

Besides having the space, though, I also have a domain that could be used. I don't have it directed to any folder on my server yet, so it's blank atm, but it's www.cutlersoftware.com. Seems like it could be a good front for such projects.

That sounds brilliant. You could even pick a selection of software that fits together really well, and bring it together as a suite under the patronship of Cutler Software. If you get enough traffic, and success, in time I could see an entrepreneurial opportunity here.

A corporate name can often help solidify projects. Once you've dealt with a bunch of projects, you'll probably have a bunch of cool, dedicated developers that you can stay in contact with and whatnot. Lots of companies are also looking for Linux solutions, and they can pay for it. With money, your project can grow, thus benefiting open source. There is a LOT of potential here if you play this right.

Also, I have a file manager installed on the site which allows unlimited number of users (password protected of course) , and allows me to assign folders to each individual. These in turn could be the sub-domains for such projects. Let me know what you think.

That's really cool as well. This is a great opportunity you have here at your fingertips.

Phatfiddler
December 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
The file manager at this point is PHP based, and uses a SQL database which I have managed through MySQL. I've already started the build of the website, which will be in PHP as well since there will be regularly updated content. Will probably take a few more days to complete the site since I am desgning it from scratch, instead of using a template.