PDA

View Full Version : Moral-ish debate

Zaen
December 1st, 2006, 01:46 AM
sorry to anyone who tried to make sense of what I wrote, I was tired when I wrote it, and didn't really think.

I recently came up with a rather good project that I think is relatively easy to do, and uses junk, but the average consumer would be afraid to do. I have shown it to people, and it is widely liked, and I even got a few offers to buy them if I made more.

The problem is this, I plan to market it, but I support DIY stuff, and free stuff (legal) so , I couldn't decide if I should make a write-up on how to do it.

I decided before I originally saw it what I was going to do, but I posted to see what other open-source users would say.

again, sorry for making no sense (not that I often do make sense) :)

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 01:49 AM
I guess that kind of depends on the project? But as a general response, i'd say sure, do it. if there's legal repercussions, just write that you "claim no responsibility for any legal repercussions. It's up to the reader to ascertain legality of this project in his/her area."

utabintarbo
December 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM
So, uhhh, what's the moral issue here? :confused:

bionnaki
December 1st, 2006, 02:25 AM
could you be any more vague?

daynah
December 1st, 2006, 03:43 AM
Are you having a moral issue between wanting to make some for money or having it "pseudo open source" like the plans online for anyone to make? For that I say... go capitalism! Sell it for as much as you get a profit from it! There is nothing morally wrong with that. Things that are morally wrong to make a profit from are... selling religious advice over the phone. That is very wrong

Or are you having a moral issue over you want to write it up but you think people will hurt themselves? Write it up and make it very clear that they can hurt themselves and how they will hurt themselves. Don't write how to avoid it, because they will think that if they take those steps to avoid it, they'll be okay (there's always an infinate number of ways to avoid getting hurt, not just the ones you'd list).

Erik Trybom
December 1st, 2006, 07:29 PM
I read your post five times and I still don't understand what you're asking.

sanderella
December 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Go for it!!! I converted a Mothercare baby bath into a sledge by sawing the legs off, and I converted a fireguard into a cage for a rabbit. The world is full of good stuff waiting to be invented.:D

Spano
December 2nd, 2006, 12:12 AM
I read your post five times and I still don't understand what you're asking.
Once was enough for me.