PDA

View Full Version : best Ubuntu parts

falkenberg_cph
November 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi
Are there any "living" documents about optimal hardware parts for ubuntu/general linux.
Notebook and/or workstation

/Carsten

bernied
December 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
How about the ubuntu wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

falkenberg_cph
December 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Well. Shopping for a computer is confusing enough - making it optimized for Ubuntu/Linux only makes it more confusing.

The wiki tells me nothing about the components. And its so easy to buy the wrong stuff. So what im really looking for is a Ubuntu specific websites with guides to computer/parts shopping.

Are there any such out there?

/Carsten

DoctorMO
December 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Er, it's not as clear cut because ubuntu doesn't support any hardware per say.

Linux Kernel support most hardware, if you have 2.6.17 then you've got the latest support.
Support for scanners from sane
Support for printers from gunten-print
etc, etc

If we're talking components (inside the computer) then that's going to be the kernel, unfortunately there aren't good lists of supported hardware.

falkenberg_cph
December 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
i meant whats inside the computer.
Its a pitty that there are no good guides. I guess i will have to do with the more general guides, and then just read about the components listed in the wiki

/Carsten

lyceum
December 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I spent a lot of time looking for lists, and most of them seem wrong. That means there were things on the list that did not work and things not on the list that did.

What are you wanting to build? I can tell you that I find creative sound cards, in general work very well, Intel processors work, I have not found a hard drive or memory set that does not work, Intel graphic cards work well. Otherwize, look fot the penguin and save you receipts :-D