PDA

View Full Version : linux for a friend

baalthazar
November 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
greetings dudes!

can some1 tell me a linux version that is extremely easy and has everything done and its rather small. because its for an old pc with an internet conection from a celphone

i was thinking for mepis, but as soon as i read affordable i closed the browser :rolleyes:

i was thinking in download a linux version for him... but not sure wich one..

he barely uses his pc to surf and do homework....

mips
November 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe you should give people a bit more information. PC specs etc

Malta paul
November 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM
How about XUBUNTU ? :cool:

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Maybe you should give people a bit more information. PC specs etc
Yeah. that mobile phone net connection sounds interesting.

by "interesting," I mean "might be a challenge to support."

baalthazar
November 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
well.. its an old pc.. i guess that is one of the middle class of P3. with atleast 10gigs

does xubuntu comes with everything (aka word, excel, broser with pluggins like flash and movie stuff and of course, mp3 support)

red_Marvin
November 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
none of the *buntu versions comes with mp3/flash support built in, but it's fairly easy to add. For a pIII I think xubuntu would be best but it also depends on the amount of ram installed.
There are word/exel/powerpoint/etc. equivalents out there, open office is one...

Abild
November 30th, 2006, 07:33 PM
A p3 should be enough for gnome if it has enough ram. Gnome is extremely ram hungry. 256mb is not enough. Minimum 384mb in my opinion. Its my experience that Gnome is easier for windows users than xfce

timdsmith
November 30th, 2006, 07:40 PM
greetings dudes!

can some1 tell me a linux version that is extremely easy and has everything done and its rather small. because its for an old pc with an internet conection from a celphone

i was thinking for mepis, but as soon as i read affordable i closed the browser :rolleyes:

i was thinking in download a linux version for him... but not sure wich one..

he barely uses his pc to surf and do homework....Mepis is free. You can download it here.
http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/
It's nice.
Might also try Mint. It comes with all the "dirty" stuff.
http://lt.k1011.nutime.de/