PDA

View Full Version : Boston (Massachusetts) Ubuntu Users?

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I know that the NE-US team is spread from Maine to Virginia...but how many of the team are in the Boston, MA area proper?

Tipo
December 2nd, 2006, 01:09 AM
One right here! :)

In the Harvard/Cambridge area

GameManK
December 3rd, 2006, 01:36 AM
I'm in the boston area as well.

RAV TUX
December 3rd, 2006, 02:02 AM
let me know if you would like to be a part of the NU UBuntu Team?...I encourage you to start a local Boston chapter...ideally I would like to see local chapters/teams grow in each state and major city represented here in the NU Ubuntu Team

endersshadow
December 5th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I'm at Boston College...so I'm half in and half out of Boston :)

jrib
December 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm in boston too

whomever21
December 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Somerville here

BenWhitey
December 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM
belmont, ma

going to college next year, hopefully northeast (i love the weather)

Tipo
December 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Just thought it should be mentioned, I just saw a copy of the "Switching to Ubuntu Linux" book in the computing section of the harvard bookstore the other day :D

RAV TUX
December 15th, 2006, 12:53 AM
It is good to see the gathering from Massachusetts here;)

riskbreaker927
December 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm coming out of Everett. Represent!

shadowfx78
December 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
i live in north attleboro so not to far from boston.

danhm
December 31st, 2006, 09:33 AM
I go to Wheaton College in Norton, which is fairly close to Boston.

malathia
December 31st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Greater Attleboro area represent. What up North Attleboro and Norton. And that's funny, I drive past wheaton almost daily to go to work. How's the college life treating you?

drascus
January 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am in the Boston area as well, I am in the Brockton, Canton area.
~Mike~

RAV TUX
January 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I encourage the Boston users to start a Boston LoCo Team....

I will sticky this thread to aid in this...please know we are here to help in this process....

and encourage a close affliation to bring all our LoCo teams in our region together

justin whitaker
January 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I encourage the Boston users to start a Boston LoCo Team....

I will sticky this thread to aid in this...please know we are here to help in this process....

and encourage a close affliation to bring all our LoCo teams in our region together

That's not a bad idea RAV.

So how about it Boston Area Ubuntu users? We want to form a chapter?

malathia
January 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Sounds like it could be awesomely reckless.

drascus
January 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I would love to be part of the boston chapter I say we work on setting it up.
~Drascus~

malathia
January 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Well, since I'm not part of any at the moment, someone fill me in.

RAV TUX
January 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM
That's not a bad idea RAV.

So how about it Boston Area Ubuntu users? We want to form a chapter?

Thats the spirit!

drascus
January 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?

malathia
January 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"

okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

But yes.

justin whitaker
January 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"

okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

But yes.

I think we can do cookies. That shouldn't be an issue. :mrgreen:

So, how about people email me some times when they are available, I'll do some homepage work, and get a tentative schedule going?

Email is in the profile. ;)

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?

for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

Mackenzie: macogw (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631)

Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.:p

justin whitaker
January 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

Mackenzie: macogw (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631)

Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.:p

Geez RAV, do you even sleep?

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Geez RAV, do you even sleep?
nocturnal for the most part....

I almost forgot once you set up your LoCo Team I suggest requesting an Official LoCo Team forum here within ubuntuforums.org, this will give you much increased exposer to recruit new members in your LoCo Team area....

submit your formal request only after you have set up your LoCo team here:
Request a LoCo forum (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)

also see this great HOWTO in that forum:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290685

or of course you are welcomed and encouraged to continue using the NU Ubuntu Forum (that would be quite awesome indeed)

but if you choose your own, just remember to keep a close affliation.;)

%hMa@?b<C
January 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I live 5 minutes from boston proper. my brother is going to Boston University next year... but no matter what, i cant convince my brother to use linux at college.

drascus
January 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I don't think we have to concern ourselves with shoving linux down peoples throats who don't want it. It doesn't matter one day he will get sick of the constant issues with his current OS and start looking at Linux. I use to spend so much time messing with my old OS that It really hurt my productivity and fun. Now I just work and play as I please.
~drascus~

donnellymp
January 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm here in Melrose. What's the latest on forming a chapter? We could meet down in Harvard Square or something. Somewhere warm...

Cool story: My little sister in Malden got an old Dell P4 PC from Tufts that came with Win2K installed. She got it running with DSL last week, and one day later her computer was rendered unusable because of a trojan even her antivirus software couldn't kill. I went over to her house yesterday, wiped the HD, installed Kubuntu, got her fiance's iPod Nano working like a dream, showed her the glories of OpenOffice, and she was an instant convert. We Linux guys forget how revolutionary it is for lots of computer users not to have to worry about constantly updating antivirus software, getting a virus, etc. She was tickled pink.

She just couldn't believe it was all free. Then, when I was done with my demo, she asked me a great question, "Why don't more people know about this?"

Good question. That could be part of the Boston group's mission statement.

shadowfx78
January 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM
thats awesome donnellymp, chock another win to linux and a loss to windows

%hMa@?b<C
January 30th, 2007, 02:12 AM
if there is ever an official boston LoCo team, I would be proud to join.
-jeff

LostShootingStar
January 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Somerset, MA here!

ahathaway
February 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Taunton, MA here. I am down for a Boston Ubuntu Chapter!

justin whitaker
February 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Sounds like we have a critical mass for a Boston area chapter....

sdlvx
February 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Beacon Hill here. I go to suffolk university and have Ubuntu on my laptop and desktop. I'm from Chicago though. Do I still count?

GameManK
February 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Are any of you guys going to ubucon?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TheUbucon

I want to go but I have no clue how to get to NYC for 8 in the morning.

justin whitaker
February 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Beacon Hill here. I go to suffolk university and have Ubuntu on my laptop and desktop. I'm from Chicago though. Do I still count?

You sure do!

voided3
February 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, i'm currently living on campus at Berklee College of Music where it most definitely is Mac OS X land (i'm using a Macbook Pro now) but I also brought my desktop that dual boots and gets used mostly with Ubuntu... probably the only one on campus (haha). I have a bunch of other desktops at home that either solely run Xubuntu or dual with Ubuntu/WinXP, and there is a guy I know here that used to use Red Hat, but OS X is better than Windows (and UNIX based!) so I guess there wouldn't be too many converts over here, especially since everyone uses Finale, Garageband, Reason, and so forth. If I ever get another Macintel laptop, I'd love to triple boot it w/ OS X/WinXP/Ubuntu, but for now I have to keep this an OS X machine only, and I get my Linux fix on the desktop just fine (haha). Anyway, I always try to bring up Ubuntu to people who see my desktop comp running and ask me "what the heck is that?", so at least people who have never heard of Linux before are at least aware of it. Spread it on!

justin whitaker
February 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Ok, so absent anyone else stepping forward, I'm going to set the wheels in motion on this.

Viva Ubuntu!

Skye
February 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I'm in Arlington- I'd be happy to join a LoCo team should one get started. Keep us posted, Justin!

mrgomeg
February 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM
I'm in Fitchburg. Is that too far away? We're starting to implement edubuntu throughout our school, so it'd be nice to meet with some people who might be able to give some advice or encouragement.

GameManK
February 21st, 2007, 03:22 AM
Ok, so absent anyone else stepping forward, I'm going to set the wheels in motion on this.

Viva Ubuntu!
How is it coming along? I'm on break right now, so hopefully I'll have time to help set up wiki pages, etc. Please get on #ubuntu-us-ne to discuss.

I'm in Fitchburg. Is that too far away? We're starting to implement edubuntu throughout our school, so it'd be nice to meet with some people who might be able to give some advice or encouragement.

That's excellent!
Fitchburg's not too far away, I think by "Boston" we mean "Massachusetts". Though it's up to you how far you want to travel for meetings.

I'm interested to know how you went about getting a local school to convert to Edubuntu.

mrgomeg
February 21st, 2007, 03:57 AM
I'm interested to know how you went about getting a local school to convert to Edubuntu.
We are a small, private, Christian school with limited resources. We recently updated our lab with eMacs and iMacs, but we wanted computers in the classroom too. I had a local computer training company go out of business and donate a few dozen old computers. I didn't want to mess with windows and looked for other possibilities. Edubuntu seems a perfect fit.

justin whitaker
February 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Based on current discussions of what we can and cannot call ourselves, we will be taking the Massachusetts Team slot.

Any thoughts? Reservations? Any logo ideas (say a 3 leaf shamrock in the Ubuntu circle?)?

GameManK
February 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam

RAV TUX
February 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
Based on current discussions of what we can and cannot call ourselves, we will be taking the Massachusetts Team slot.

Any thoughts? Reservations? Any logo ideas (say a 3 leaf shamrock in the Ubuntu circle?)?

Justin officially you can take the pre-defined and pre-named Massachusetts slot(and you should) but you can also start a Boston LoCo Team too.

RAV TUX
February 22nd, 2007, 02:57 AM

Awesome Wiki!!

justin whitaker
February 22nd, 2007, 04:09 AM

Nice work!

The launchpad team is set up as well. Everyone that is interested in participating, now is the time!

GameManK
February 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Just for fun :D

justin whitaker
February 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Just for fun :D

Too funny! That won't get us sued, not at all! :)

jerrylamos
February 25th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Well I'm in Hollis, next to Nashua, about an hour+ depending on traffic from Boston central, close enough if there's an event of interest..

I have done a one class intro to Ubuntu for senior citizens at a local college.

Right now I've been doing some testing on Feisty Fawn daily current updates. As new fancy features get put in, some of the regularly used functions get bugs. Good way to learn my way around Ubuntu since I never know what will happen next.

I do run Windows for some things Linux doesn't handle, like head cleaning and cartridge changing on Epson printers, and Active X videos on ABC News. Ubuntu handles BBC News with Real Player and You Tube with Flashplayer.

Seems to me for education Ubuntu + Firefox + Open Office ought to be able to handle most everything. My wife teaches Windows XP, Office 2003 Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, ... from time to time at a community college; the functions she's seen on Firefox and Open Office are quite familiar, and of course there's document compatibility.

I've tried some other Linux distros like Knoppix and Puppy and of course Red Hat.

The chief reason Vista will be on the map is because it will ship with most new PC's in the U.S.

So there are some of us who can mull around questions on anything that shows up in an education situation, and maybe attend some events of interest.

I haven't run Edubuntu, which is intended for a class situation with thin clients i.e. student machines with limited features for lower cost, and depending on the teacher's server, but Edubuntu may be more slanted for lower grades?

Cheers, Jerry

justin whitaker
February 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Jerry, I see Team Massachusetts being really open. I would have no issue at all with any Ubuntero showing up to a MA event. The more the merrier.

GoatTuber
February 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I live in Lynn, MA and work in Boston. I run Ubuntu 6.10 on my home pc and laptop. The workplace is a Windows environment with a couple Macs around for testing.

I've gotten a few other people interested in Linux, but not enough for them to leave Windows yet.

I also recently had to give some support for a Windows user that was getting a NTLDR error the other day due to a failed HD (and yes, there was no floppy in the A drive), so she had to buy a new drive to fix it, but she needed her computer working "right now", so I gave her an Ubuntu Live CD, and she was happy to be back online while waiting for the new HD.

Lastly, I'm also talking with a teacher from the elementary school over by Bunker Hill. Their tech department is on a pretty slim budget, so I was talking to her about the greatness of Edubuntu (seriously, why aren't all schools running it?). She's pretty psyched about it, and needs to run it by the school's administration to get their approval. I would love to see our public schools (actually, the private ones too) running Edubuntu. I'm sure there are plenty of old PCs lying around that aren't fast enough to run any of the latest versions of ******* that people wouldn't mind donating to their local schools. We need to break corporate greed's grasp over our schools and warm them up to friendly open-source communities.

So here I am, part web developer (html, js, css, cfml), part dba (sql 2000, sql 2007), part network admin (mixed cisco/sonicwall setup w/ vpn), part graphics artist, part musician, and I sleep about 4 hours a day. What do you need me to do?

GoatTuber
February 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Oh, for logo ideas, how about something in the spirit of the Boston Tea Party? Ubuntu users throwing crates with the ******* logo into the Boston harbor?

justin whitaker
February 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, for logo ideas, how about something in the spirit of the Boston Tea Party? Ubuntu users throwing crates with the ******* logo into the Boston harbor?

Oh nice! If I had any skills in graphics at all, I would create that!

GameManK
February 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I live in Lynn, MA and work in Boston. I run Ubuntu 6.10 on my home pc and laptop. The workplace is a Windows environment with a couple Macs around for testing.

I've gotten a few other people interested in Linux, but not enough for them to leave Windows yet.

I also recently had to give some support for a Windows user that was getting a NTLDR error the other day due to a failed HD (and yes, there was no floppy in the A drive), so she had to buy a new drive to fix it, but she needed her computer working "right now", so I gave her an Ubuntu Live CD, and she was happy to be back online while waiting for the new HD.

Lastly, I'm also talking with a teacher from the elementary school over by Bunker Hill. Their tech department is on a pretty slim budget, so I was talking to her about the greatness of Edubuntu (seriously, why aren't all schools running it?). She's pretty psyched about it, and needs to run it by the school's administration to get their approval. I would love to see our public schools (actually, the private ones too) running Edubuntu. I'm sure there are plenty of old PCs lying around that aren't fast enough to run any of the latest versions of ******* that people wouldn't mind donating to their local schools. We need to break corporate greed's grasp over our schools and warm them up to friendly open-source communities.

So here I am, part web developer (html, js, css, cfml), part dba (sql 2000, sql 2007), part network admin (mixed cisco/sonicwall setup w/ vpn), part graphics artist, part musician, and I sleep about 4 hours a day. What do you need me to do?

The school thing sounds very interesting and it's good news.
I was thinking that getting Edubuntu into local elementary schools should be a major goal/activity for the team. Sounds like a couple of you have such connections already. I think once a decision is made, the team could help by having a sort of install fest to help the school up and running on Edubuntu.

mselva
February 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I know that the NE-US team is spread from Maine to Virginia...but how many of the team are in the Boston, MA area proper?

I am a newcomer to Ubuntu, living in Cambridge and working in Watertown.

As the newly-hired in-house techie at an Armenian parochial school, I inherited a computer lab containing 11 Dell PCs running ******* XP. Faced with the enormous cost of upgrading & replacing balky software that was purchased four years ago (and a miniscule budget), I decided to take a serious look at the world of open source. I downloaded & installed EDUBUNTU a couple of weeks ago on my home computer (an intel iMac running Parallels). It worked flawlessly, and I was delighted to find viable alternatives to MS Office, Publisher, Explorer, etc as part of the distribution.

My next adventure is to set up a "test drive" in my school's computer lab. Over the years, we've received a couple of dozen donated PCs that are not quite up to snuff for running Win XP, but they ought to do fine as "thin clients" for Ubuntu. If all works out well, I hope to switch the entire lab to Ubuntu. Once it's up and running, I'll be happy to offer guided tours to others in the community who are thinking of going in the same direction.

Michael Selva
St Stephen's Armenian Elementary School
Watertown, MA
:guitar:

mselva
February 27th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Nice work!

The launchpad team is set up as well. Everyone that is interested in participating, now is the time!

I can offer my school's humble computer lab as a gathering place for local UBUNTUers.

We're located about 1 mile west of Harvard Square, accessible by bus (#71, which runs frequently out of H. Square), and there is plenty of parking. We have a conference table & chairs, which will comfortably seat at least 10 people. We also have a refrigerator & a microwave for making popcorn . . . all the comforts of home ;-)

:popcorn:

justin whitaker
February 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I can offer my school's humble computer lab as a gathering place for local UBUNTUers.

We're located about 1 mile west of Harvard Square, accessible by bus (#71, which runs frequently out of H. Square), and there is plenty of parking. We have a conference table & chairs, which will comfortably seat at least 10 people. We also have a refrigerator & a microwave for making popcorn . . . all the comforts of home ;-)

:popcorn:

And you are right near the Border Cafe. Don't forget that.

I think this is an excellent idea.

Both the meeting place....and the Border Cafe.

sdlvx
February 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM
sounds good to me too. I just recruited a potential member who goes to WIT and seems cool.

FredSambo
March 1st, 2007, 12:14 AM
I am just up the coast in Portland, Maine (about 2.5 hours by train)! I'd love to get in on anything that you folks have going on! We have a Maine team as well, so maybe once in a while we could form an Old Massachusetts Ubuntu Team, since Maine was once part of Massachusetts.

:)

justin whitaker
March 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
We have 10 members so far.

If you want to sign up:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-us-ma

kenn_palmer
March 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
I'm in he Springfield area.

justin whitaker
March 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm going to be moving ownership of the team to someone else...I'm pretty frustrated with Ubuntu's community, and with my ongoing issues with the distribution itself, and that's not something that a lo-co team leader should be.

GameManK
March 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
That's unfortunate Justin. Mind posting your concerns? (or link if you already did)
Better luck with another distro!

I guess take over admin of the team for now. Any other volunteers?

justin whitaker
March 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
That's unfortunate Justin. Mind posting your concerns? (or link if you already did)
Better luck with another distro!

I guess take over admin of the team for now. Any other volunteers?

I'm not leaving the team, or the distro necessarily: I just think I cannot spearhead something where I believe I have to say "Ubuntu is the best!" when so many hardware issues still exist, and where simple things like USB peripherals are broken (for me, and others-since Dapper, for some).

Keep in mind, that this is a kernel/HAL issue that has been decided on by the development team: every other distro that I have tried (PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Slax, Mepis, Kanotix, Sidux, Arch, OpenSUSE) has found my iPods, external harddrives, cameras, and flash drives.

Next, I am not a free software zealot. I believe that Linux is "the way", far superior in almost every respect to closed source operating systems, but I am not blind to the fact that many closed source applications are superior to open source alternatives (Photoshop? Flash? Every PC game?), and to the fact that many people want to use the software that they have paid for on Linux, RMS and the FSF be damned.

The vocal "free or nothing" minority is blind to this. I do not believe that we will ever be free of closed source, nor do I think we should be. Competition is good for both Open Source and Closed Source software users.

I believe that a LoCo leader needs to be able to say, with a straight face, that Ubuntu is THE option, and right now, I cannot say that.

GameManK
March 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Next, I am not a free software zealot. I believe that Linux is "the way", far superior in almost every respect to closed source operating systems, but I am not blind to the fact that many closed source applications are superior to open source alternatives (Photoshop? Flash? Every PC game?), and to the fact that many people want to use the software that they have paid for on Linux, RMS and the FSF be damned.

The vocal "free or nothing" minority is blind to this. I do not believe that we will ever be free of closed source, nor do I think we should be. Competition is good for both Open Source and Closed Source software users.
By that requirement I don't think I'm qualified either. *hugs Opera* :KS

kenn_palmer
March 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Justin, respect your decision to pass on the leadership of the team, but Ubuntu needs honest people that can see where problems exist and shine a light on them. As a community we need to be self policing or we could end up like a certain company tthat decides what bugs it wants to fix, not what needs to be fixed. That way when the issues are resolved we will ALL be able say that Ubuntu not just a good option, but the best option.

RAV TUX
March 11th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I'm going to be moving ownership of the team to someone else...I'm pretty frustrated with Ubuntu's community, and with my ongoing issues with the distribution itself, and that's not something that a lo-co team leader should be.Justin I respect your decision but keep in mind that I myself am a mod here at ubuntuforums.org, I primarily use Sabayon Linux on my main computer, and even though I use Ubuntu on my older computer I do believe that Wolvix Hunter is far superior.

I am on staff at both ubuntuforums.org and sabayonlinux.org, this community is the most realistic of Linux communities many people still use Windows &/or Apple on a daily basis.

Don't let the narrow focus of a few zealots dampen your spirits, I believe free-thinking is more the rule in this community. You can still challenge the weakness and disagree and still be accepted. I am well aware of the Ubuntu-counter culture that a few mis-guided people have started but I am living proof that ubuntuforums.org is open minded and the "Other OS" forum is empirical validation of that.

Before ubuntuforums.org created Windows and Apple OS X forums, you never saw this on a Linux forum board, now if you search around this is more the norm. then the exception.

You don't need to be a Ubuntu Fan Boy to lead a LoCo team, in fact I would rather not see this, because this may scare away people. Fanatics in any realm is a fearful thing that throws up red flags of caution.

I agree with kenn_palmer when he stated:

Justin, respect your decision to pass on the leadership of the team, but Ubuntu needs honest people that can see where problems exist and shine a light on them.

Again, Justin I respect your decision and wish you the best on any endeavor you may pursue.

DoctorMO
March 11th, 2007, 10:40 PM
West Broadway Ubuntu programmer, MIT LUG member and Linux zealot.

can I join?

I've been meaning to create a linux user group in boston for a few weeks. I find the MIT LUG to be more a place for programmers and systems admins to talk about the latest network protocols then to provide a user level community.

Do we have a schedule for when we're meeting up?

GameManK
March 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Just realized that I never posted the ml in here..

Our mailing list is here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ma

I just sent out subscription invitations to everyone on the team on launchpad (except one person who didn't have an email listed). Anyone else planning on joining, please subscribe to the mailing list as well as joining the LP team. We'll plan a meeting once everyone is subscribed.

GoatTuber
March 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I just sent out subscription invitations to everyone on the team on launchpad (except one person who didn't have an email listed).

From the lack of that email being in my inbox, and then seeing that my email address was set as hidden, I'll assume I'm that person. It's scary out here, but I've come out of hiding nonetheless.

Ok guys, check this out. A little while ago I gave a demo of Ubuntu running on my laptop to a few of my coworkers. I work for a dating site, LoveAccess.com, so my coworkers are of various levels of technical expertise, being marketers, graphics guys, and an Operations Manager (the rest have work to do). They loved it ("it's so smooth!"). I compared almost every program I use everyday on my WinXP workstation to Linux versions and opensource alternatives on the laptop. I still don't have an alternative to SQL Management Studio 9 on there, but in my defense, I haven't looked for one yet. I will when I get around to it, I have way too many non-SQL projects piled up right now. Anyway, they were all pretty impressed by how a Linux box that's only running free software could do everything that a Windows box does that we've spent over $1k in licenses on. They were especially impressed by how much faster the file explorer ran on Linux, and how the GIMP was considerably faster than Photoshop. Ok, now here's the kicker... my workstation is a P4 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM. My laptop is a P3 650MHz with 384MB RAM (Dell Latitude CPx). Their reactions were priceless when I took my hands off the keyboard so they could see the "Pentium III" sticker and told them the specs.

Ok, I have work to get back to. I just thought I'd share.

Hercynium
March 16th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Workin' in Waltham, Livin' in Uxbridge. (Office may move to Marlboro soon)

All new *nix servers for my department are Ubuntu LTS, unless the app only supports RHEL (and the boss overrides me)

So far, management of Ubuntu is brain-dead easy, and no baby-sitting required. (Unlike our Solaris and RHEL systems :tongue: ) (though the *BSD boxen are pretty autonomous, no 'commercial support option' leaves the PHB's uneasy, so I've been phasing those out with Ubuntu)

mselva
March 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
During our first IRC chat yesterday, we decided to schedule our first face-to-face meeting on March 31st. Thanks and a round of applause to all who participated in yesterday's chat, and to Yuriv Kozlov who organized it all.

When: 3/31/2007 at 12 noon

Where: Stella's Pizza
605 Mount Auburn Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Phone: (617) 924-5692
URL: http://www.stellaspizza.com

Map: http://www.google.com/maps?q=605+Mt+Auburn+St,+Watertown,+MA+02472&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&iwloc=addr

RSVP: to Michael Selva by Friday 3/30

By car, this restaurant is easily accessible either from the Mass Pike (Newton Corner exit, then Galen Street to Watertown Center, then Mt Auburn Street), from Route 2 eastbound (right turn onto Mt Auburn Street in Cambridge), or Storrow Drive westbound (take exit after Harvard Square, bear right after Charles River bridge, then bear left after Mt Auburn Hospital onto Mt Auburn Street.

By public transportation, take the RED LINE to Harvard Square, and then take connecting bus #71 which travels along Mt Auburn Street, and then get off at the first bus stop past Grove Street. It's a quick trip, only 2 miles from H Square, and you have to alert the driver before you get to the stop.

If you need further info, or if you get lost on the 31st, call me at 617-605-7429.

================================================== ======
MICHAEL SELVA
St Stephen's Armenian Elementary School
47 Nichols Avenue
Watertown, MA 02472 phone: 617-605-7429
================================================== ======

justin whitaker
March 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Justin, respect your decision to pass on the leadership of the team, but Ubuntu needs honest people that can see where problems exist and shine a light on them. As a community we need to be self policing or we could end up like a certain company tthat decides what bugs it wants to fix, not what needs to be fixed. That way when the issues are resolved we will ALL be able say that Ubuntu not just a good option, but the best option.

Well, I am still here. I will see anyone that comes along to this weekend's meet, and I will be active in the team. I just can't in good conscious lead the team since I do alternate between being completely happy with Ubuntu, then tearing out my hair and cursing the dev team.

maccam94
April 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Joined this thread just too late... I live in Cohasset, MA (about 20 min south of Boston). Ubuntu advocate, been using linux for a few years now. Currently work in a computer repair shop (we now offer Ubuntu installations), and I'm working on a proposal for the Cohasset Technology Committee to switch the school district's computers to an (Ed)Ubuntu Linux setup. Gonna join the mailing list, and if anyone wants to e-mail me you can find reach me at [thisusername]@gmail.com

tmetro
April 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
If you're looking for a Linux/UNIX community in the Boston area, check out Boston Linux/UNIX (BLU) (http://www.blu.org/). We have monthly meetings at MIT, periodic "installfests", and an active mailing list with many Ubuntu users. Anyone is welcome.

-Tom

Spaniard
April 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'
m very new to Ubuntu, but I'm here in Salisbury.

GoatTuber
April 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Well, I managed to sever the power cable to my hub, so that meant I couldn't do any work remotely for a couple days. That gave me the opportunity to work on this logo that I've been wanting to do. Tonight I picked up a new netgear 5-port switch, I'm back online, and here's my first version of the logo...

GameManK
April 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I managed to sever the power cable to my hub, so that meant I couldn't do any work remotely for a couple days. That gave me the opportunity to work on this logo that I've been wanting to do. Tonight I picked up a new netgear 5-port switch, I'm back online, and here's my first version of the logo...
heh. nice!
how about a more tux like penguin? and let's not trash windows too much, stick an apple logo in there! :P

Sonicgoo
April 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I'm in Cambridge don't have a lot of time, but glad to see a group started. I'm surprised there is not one here already.

Love my Ubuntu...

sonicgrass@gmail.com

Matt 6:27
April 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I'm an hour plus north of Boston on NH's Seacoast, but do venture into the big city once in awhile. Not sure how often I'd be able to make a meeting. Been handing out Ubuntu CDs to people from here to Cape Ann for over a year.

Seems to be a paucity of Granite State Ubunteros.

octoberdan
April 21st, 2007, 05:13 AM

Count me in! Although I technically reside in Buzzard's Bay (Cape Cod), I work and spend a great deal of time in Boston. I'd love to get involved, just let me know what I can do!

Some how I missed the several pages following the quoted post, I must be over tired...

squarebug
April 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM
hey,

just discovered this thread today, and obviously missed the first meeting. but you can count me in, i work north of boston and live in central mass.

octoberdan
April 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
hey,

just discovered this thread today, and obviously missed the first meeting. but you can count me in, i work north of boston and live in central mass.

octoberdan
April 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I wonder if I'll run into any other Ubuntu loving MA masons...

jmagsho
May 4th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Hudson/Marlborough area here. I too don't have much time these days, to get into Boston proper for meetings, but would be glad to participated in online discussions and such.

fdrake
May 8th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Here I am :Medford (15 min from Boston)
hope there will be soon a Masschusetts LoCo Team :)

jfinkels
May 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I'm at Tufts University in Medford (will be home in New York for the summer, though :().

GameManK
May 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM
There is! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam/

octoberdan
May 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM

You should join the Boston team as well. I'm in Buzzards Bay (an hour and so from Boston), but I'm a member. I think they share the same mailing list and same launchpad anyways.

fdrake
May 11th, 2007, 03:18 AM
GameManK, octoberdan thanks , i've just signed up now. !!

RAV TUX
May 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM
You should join the Boston team as well. I'm in Buzzards Bay (an hour and so from Boston), but I'm a member. I think they share the same mailing list and same launchpad anyways.

do you have a link for the Boston Team?

octoberdan
May 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I'm actually sort of confused now. I think it's more of a chapter than a team. I asked about it earlier in this thread, followed the link I was given and assumed I was joining the Boston team only to find out that it was just the MA loco. Perhaps I shouldn't do all my forum posting late at night. I hope I haven't caused any confusion... can some one please clear this issue up?

GameManK
May 12th, 2007, 05:24 AM

I'm actually sort of confused now. I think it's more of a chapter than a team. I asked about it earlier in this thread, followed the link I was given and assumed I was joining the Boston team only to find out that it was just the MA loco. Perhaps I shouldn't do all my forum posting late at night. I hope I haven't caused any confusion... can some one please clear this issue up?
There is currently no official Boston chapter. However, a large portion of the members of the MA team are from in and around Boston, and Boston is a central location so that's where events so far have been and will be planned. So far we've met at a pizza place in watertown, a restaurant in cambridge, and will be participating in BLU's install-fest at MIT. Of course, if you have any suggestions for other good locations for events, please tell!
If there are enough people and interest, we can make some sort of official separation, but for now I think that we need to focus on getting stuff happening and getting the (one) team approved.

RAV TUX
May 12th, 2007, 06:32 AM
There is currently no official Boston chapter. However, a large portion of the members of the MA team are from in and around Boston, and Boston is a central location so that's where events so far have been and will be planned. So far we've met at a pizza place in watertown, a restaurant in cambridge, and will be participating in BLU's install-fest at MIT. Of course, if you have any suggestions for other good locations for events, please tell!
If there are enough people and interest, we can make some sort of official separation, but for now I think that we need to focus on getting stuff happening and getting the (one) team approved.

No reason why you can't set up an unofficial Boston team right?

The Pennsylvania team has done this for Philly

Just make it a sub-team of the MA team:)

GameManK
May 15th, 2007, 01:51 AM
another logo idea

octoberdan
May 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I like it! Good work. Very Slick.

justin whitaker
May 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM
another logo idea

Now, that is sweet!

jfinkels
May 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM
another logo idea

Cute :D

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2007, 03:02 AM
another logo idea
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32615&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1179190271

Simply Awesome!

Deffy
May 18th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Checking in from North Oxford (Southwest of Worcester).

dart1007
May 18th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Bridgewater here!!!:)

GoatTuber
May 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
another logo idea

That's pretty sweet, I think we should use it.

I had previously made a concept logo, but I really don't think we could use it. With the MS icons and stuff in mine, it would probably be a few copyright violations using it.

fdrake
May 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Simply Awesome!

nice job!! did u use gimp or photoshop?? ;P just kidding... i like it , it's simple and pertinent. The way u used the color (the same of ubuntu's logo) looks really good! can you attach an image with a bigger resolution. thanks.

GameManK
May 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
nice job!! did u use gimp or photoshop?? ;P just kidding... i like it , it's simple and pertinent. The way u used the color (the same of ubuntu's logo) looks really good! can you attach an image with a bigger resolution. thanks.
Used inkscape ;)
I'm attaching the SVG. If anybody is good at vector graphics, could you fix the circle areas where I was trying to follow the logo? I'm not very good at making circles..

Dayylin
May 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Used inkscape ;)
I'm attaching the SVG. If anybody is good at vector graphics, could you fix the circle areas where I was trying to follow the logo? I'm not very good at making circles..

Nice logo. While I haven't lived in the Mass area, I did spend some time in Boston when I lived in R.I. Logo looks good.

Cheers,

Brian aka Dayylin

GameManK
June 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
We now have our own forum here at http://ma.ubuntuforums.org

EricWiz
June 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I'm from Dedham here....

gwmerc
January 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Boston here!

Dr.Danger
January 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Dorchester here

kittiphanh
February 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
in college so in and out of Boston here ^_^

N8K99
March 21st, 2008, 05:12 AM
moved to cambridge a couple of months ago.:guitar:

mD3m4r415
March 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Walpole Massachusetts right here... GO SOX!!!

eikkaj
March 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
from arlington!

earphone
March 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Somerville/Cambridge here, with Xubuntu & Unbuntu on several machines + a powerbook that is OS X free.

Max Roswell
April 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Medford, here.

drascus
April 11th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I am a bit south of Boston but I am in the Boston area and I go to school in Boston.

cmnorton
April 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Arlington, MA

DJ_Peng
August 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I spend days with my comp in Madlen, although I spend the nights in JP.

Supersquirrel
May 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Im from brockton, I just joined today. I am only an mbta train ride away to boston =).

This September i will be in college in boston. Benjamin Franklin institute.

ahathaway
May 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Im from brockton, I just joined today. I am only an mbta train ride away to boston =).

This September i will be in college in boston. Benjamin Franklin institute.

I have a friend that teaches courses at BFIT. Very knowledgeable and I highly recommend his courses.

Thomas McGonagle, Lecturer in Computer Technologies
B.S. in Computer Information Systems, Bentley College; M.S. in Information Technology, Elkin B. McCallum Graduate School of Business, Bentley College. Certified Advanced Perl and Bash programmer, Certified Perl DBI and SQL programmer; CSC, Cambridge, Senior Linux Engineer.

n0yd
May 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Roxbury, MA. Mission Hill/Brigham Circle to be exact. :D

mkkohls
May 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Acton, Ma Well for the summer any way.

kraisz
February 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hello:
I'm new to Ubuntu. Based in Allston. Has anyone successfully installed ffmpeg on their computer? If so, would you help me figure out how to do it on mine?
Many thanks,
Kate

leftyfb
February 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I'm from Dedham here....

welcome :)

sreyan
February 23rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hello:
I'm new to Ubuntu. Based in Allston. Has anyone successfully installed ffmpeg on their computer? If so, would you help me figure out how to do it on mine?
Many thanks,
Kate

If you enable the universe and multiverse repositories you should be able to install ffmpeg using Synaptic or from the command line:

$ sudo aptitude install ffmpeg

IIRC ffmpeg in the official Ubuntu repositories isn't built with support for all codecs due to some licensing issues.

If the official version of ffmpeg is unsuitable for your use, there are guides on how to build it from source.

Feel free to respond with questions if you're unsure how to proceed.

Nicodemus144
March 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
my wife and i live in the North End and we both use Ubuntu. =)

i hope to be more involved in any LoCo activities in the future. i'm no technical wizard, just a hobbyist, but i love Ubuntu! =)

maddog39
October 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
From Somerville here, would love to see a Boston area specific chapter.

paguilera
November 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hi there,

I recently moved to the Boston area (Watertown) and am interested in getting involved with the loco. I moved from Rochester, NY, where Chaz has done a great job with the loco there. I've seen a post or two from him in this particular forum.

I prefer to use Ubuntu though still use Windows on both my desktop and laptop (both are dual-boot machines). I'm also very interested in Ruby and feel I'm going to be looking at Ruby on Rails for both home and work use soon.

-Thank you-

bazita
August 30th, 2011, 03:10 AM
boston, right here