PDA

View Full Version : A world without Windows

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Microsoft windows, silly.

What if one day (now work with me, this is very much "never going to happen") some judge or something goes, "Dude, microsoft, you are messed up, stop doing business! I order you to stop everything! You must stop selling windows and stop supporting windows. In fact, windows itself is illegal because it is anti-american and weakens our nation and anyone who uses it is anti-american. No one is allowed to offer support for or use Windows. Microsoft, you are not allowed to sell any of your other products as you, again, are no longer a company, but your other products do not undermine the nation's security so they still can be used."

Yeah, I know, my writing is awful. I can't set up scenes worth a

But what if that happened?

I think it would be very Y2K like. Everybody freakin' out and stocking up. You know, 'cause people are dumb and think that all computers wont work and computers are evil. Ithink a lot of people would use windows anyway. I don't think people would learn linux fast enough. I think the stock market would go way down.

What do you think would happen if windows, such a vital part of our system, just dissapeared?

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
if it were due to a sudden, major exploit hitting all networked Windows machines? it'd plunge us right back to 1989: computers everywhere, but not networked.

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
if it were due to a sudden, major exploit hitting all networked Windows machines? it'd plunge us right back to 1989: computers everywhere, but not networked.

Except for BSD, Solaris, and Linux machines.

Rinzwind
November 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Software you have to pay for will always loose if there's an alternative that costs nothing and that can do the same. It just takes time to convince anyone.

I don't think alot will change: people will stick to the Windows they are working with and when the time is really there to switch to another OS they will.
It's not that the software will stop working when MS is gone.

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
which is how it was back in the day. The consequences would be pretty profound.

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
which is how it was back in the day. The consequences would be pretty profound.

I don't think it would be that bad. How many of the major web and e commerce sites run BSD? I would be a major step back, but I do not think that it will be a plunge back to the dark ages of bulletin boards and baud rate modems. People are alot more savvy now.

hotbrainz
November 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
the four horsemen of Apocalypse will then bring peace and stabilty in the world - Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu , Edubuntu ;)

syrleb
November 30th, 2006, 04:46 PM
i would laugh my *** of at bill gates, then come on ubuntu and play frozen bubble..:D

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think it would be that bad. How many of the major web and e commerce sites run BSD? I would be a major step back, but I do not think that it will be a plunge back to the dark ages of bulletin boards and baud rate modems. People are alot more savvy now.
I don't think the mass of users are any more savvy than they were back in the day. The servers might still be up, but there'd be nobody to surf to them: all the windows hosts are down. ISPs who drank the Windows Kool-Aid would be knocked out, ditto educational institutions (my grad school was an all-Windows shop, from the library computers through the Exchange server).

Sluipvoet
November 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
A world without Windows...
That would be very good news for Apple.

other OS(Linux, BSD,...) would remain very small.

kuja
November 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I don't think the mass of users are any more savvy than they were back in the day. The servers might still be up, but there'd be nobody to surf to them: all the windows hosts are down. ISPs who drank the Windows Kool-Aid would be knocked out, ditto educational institutions (my grad school was an all-Windows shop, from the library computers through the Exchange server).
Agreed, I find it's rather the contrary. People are a lot LESS savvy now, because oftentimes they don't need to be.

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
i would laugh my *** of at bill gates, then come on ubuntu and play frozen bubble..:D

That made my day a whole lot brighter! *turns on super tux*

Windows could never be made illegal, but it could be possible that microsoft could dissapear, and thus Windows not get updated and schools pretty much have to have that.

And for some odd reason, I'm a Sophomore who's been to four colleges, and all of those four had the dumbest tech deparments, right up to the head, that I have ever seen. Dumb as bricks I say. If they don't get support and updates who knows.

Mathiasdm
November 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Err... The economy would collapse, you know.

Lots of companies depend on their networks, and most of the computers run Windows (not mentioning the servers here).

Yes, the setback would be temporal, but still...

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I agree that it would have a profound effect on our economy, and thus world wide balance. If Americans (I'm American, I assume everyone I'm talking with is American, it's apart of our culture just like beans on toast in england, get used to it) and other big tech developed countries are hit hard and are put on even level with developing countries ("third world country" is not a correct phrase anymore, by the way) then that gives the developing countries a chance to catch up, just as much as we would have.

Do you think this affects any judges decisions to make against microsoft or how heavy of punishments they do make against microsoft? Not in a "it's a conspiracy" way, but...

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
the third world has a hard enough time getting enough electric power to run computers and enough literate people to operate them. It also has a hard enough time keeping the few literate, competent people they might have alive, since war and pestilence tend to have a detrimental effect on one's life expectancy.

Computers are important. They are not everything.

super breadfish
November 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Well there'd likely be panic for a while, but then some bright spark would go "Oh heres's this Linux thing we can use" and things would steady out again. Unless Windows suddenly stopped working at all overnight I can't see rioting on the streets or anything...nothing on the scale of say, EMP attack or anything.

Though it's hardly likely is it? Just remember who this judge would be up against, a guy with the deepest pockets in the world who just happens to be plugged into most of the worlds computers. Dunno about you but I'd think twice about putting someone like that out of business without at least a large army behind me.

jincast90
November 30th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Linux in 1989? Was that the Linux before Linux?:cool:

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Err... The economy would collapse, you know.

Lots of companies depend on their networks, and most of the computers run Windows (not mentioning the servers here).

Yes, the setback would be temporal, but still...

I call BS. Every major bank runs contingency programs, including dealing with paper backup just like 20 years ago. Just because the network goes down, that doesn't mean that you can't go back to calculator and phones.

It may be a networked economy, but there was an economy and a market before the network.

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I call BS. Every major bank runs contingency programs, including dealing with paper backup just like 20 years ago. Just because the network goes down, that doesn't mean that you can't go back to calculator and phones.

It may be a networked economy, but there was an economy and a market before the network.
it does make for a much slower pace. On Black Friday (the friday after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US), the credit card authorization network went down briefly at around 0600, Eastern Time. That setback turned what would have been an hour's wait in line to a two or three hour wait as credit cards had to be authorized manually.

would people adapt? certainly. Would they live the same life they used to? Certainly not.

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think people would keep using illegal copies of Windows, just like they do now!

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 06:30 PM
it does make for a much slower pace. On Black Friday (the friday after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US), the credit card authorization network went down briefly at around 0600, Eastern Time. That setback turned what would have been an hour's wait in line to a two or three hour wait as credit cards had to be authorized manually.

would people adapt? certainly. Would they live the same life they used to? Certainly not.

That's not in question.

I'm just refuting the claim that the economy would collapse. :mrgreen:

geoffm33
November 30th, 2006, 06:35 PM
So the "economy" is only related to Banks? What about stock markets. The companies traded on those markets. The privately held companies. The people employed by Microsoft and it's affiliates. The people that support MS products and products that run on Windows. All those things (and many more) are what make up the "economy".

Mathiasdm
November 30th, 2006, 06:40 PM

That's what I mean.

And it's not just banks I'm talking about. Nearly every major company works globally, and has huge networks.

Circus-Killer
November 30th, 2006, 06:45 PM
i think i had this dream.....i was president of the world and had 10 replaceable wives. ;)

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM
So the "economy" is only related to Banks? What about stock markets. The companies traded on those markets. The privately held companies. The people employed by Microsoft and it's affiliates. The people that support MS products and products that run on Windows. All those things (and many more) are what make up the "economy".

Look at it objectively.

Behind retail banks are the investment banks, custodial banks, and the reserve system. All of them are part of the system that keeps the money moving around, and the capital markets up and running.

Your retail bank goes offline, well, that sucks. Back to cash, I guess.

Your Brokeage Firm or the bank custodying your retirement assets go offline, the economy is royally screwed. Companies need capital to run. That means you need ready access to capital markets. Without that, Companies can't pay their bills, meet their purchasing requirements, get inventory. That's why we can always go back to stock tickets, paper archive, and the phones.

Also, my bank, one of the largest custodian banks in the world, we don't use Microsoft for mission critical client facing apps. We aren't the only one to do this. You think Goldman or JPM Chase are tied to one system?

Yes, whole sectors of the economy would be effected, but saying that the whole economy would fail because of a massive network failure...not going to happen.

geoffm33
November 30th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Yes, whole sectors of the economy would be effected, but saying that the whole economy would fail because of a massive network failure...not going to happen.

Agreed. And frankly,I don't believe there would be sudden, catastrophic collapse of the world economy. I just feel the impact will be seen away from Banks.

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I still kinda think the stock market would slow. Doesn't a distrust in any large section of the economy cause that?

newlinux
November 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I would open up a store selling machines with Linux pre-loaded and giving classes on using Linux :)

BarfBag
November 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM
The goody goody people in the US would go, "ZOMG!" and burn their computers. Then, all computers - whether it be Linux, Mac, BSD, whatever; would be considered evil until the government directly says they're not. Which would probably never happen anyway. And if it did happen, those people would still consider it an "evil hacker operating system." At least the Kool Aid drinking home schoolers I know.

geoffm33
November 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Back to the OP, what about Windows itself is un-American. One could argue about MS's business practises, but a piece of software being un-American?

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Back to the OP, what about Windows itself is un-American. One could argue about MS's business practises, but a piece of software being un-American?

Monopolies are "un-American". Really, they are as American as you can get. But the law states that they cannot exist, even though they do.

geoffm33
November 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Monopolies are "un-American". Really, they are as American as you can get. But the law states that they cannot exist, even though they do.

OK, thanks. But, what about "Windows" is un-American. I now know your opinion on how Microsoft operates as a company. But what in particular is un-American about Windows. Besides that it was written and distributed by Microsoft.

justin whitaker
November 30th, 2006, 09:00 PM
There is nothing "Un-american" about Microsoft, or the software they produce. All they have done is begged, borrowed, marketed, programmed, and even stole whatever it took to basically own the operating system market.

And once they got to be a defacto monopoly, they litigate and lobby legislatures to protect their position.

The American Dream right there. :mrgreen:

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
OK, thanks. But, what about "Windows" is un-American. I now know your opinion on how Microsoft operates as a company. But what in particular is un-American about Windows. Besides that it was written and distributed by Microsoft.

nothing

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
There is nothing "Un-american" about Microsoft, or the software they produce. All they have done is begged, borrowed, marketed, programmed, and even stole whatever it took to basically own the operating system market.

And once they got to be a defacto monopoly, they litigate and lobby legislatures to protect their position.

The American Dream right there. :mrgreen:

Sad but true.

That_Geek
November 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
the third world has a hard enough time getting enough electric power to run computers and enough literate people to operate them. It also has a hard enough time keeping the few literate, competent people they might have alive, since war and pestilence tend to have a detrimental effect on one's life expectancy.

Computers are important. They are not everything.

what? ahhh! *runs outta the room crying*

daynah
December 1st, 2006, 12:33 AM
what? ahhh! *runs outta the room crying*

OH, I actually didn't mean Windows was un-american. I was kinda riding on the whole... well, I live inthe south folks. If a southern person sees someone doing something the southern doesn't like, basically they just call it un-american. I was exagerating a bit, like most of the original post is. :)

I don't use Windows, but I'm not going to go around and scream at it. :) Hense starting a thread meant to point out, yeah, we can't immediately do without windows. :)

Beamerboy
December 1st, 2006, 12:36 AM
Microsoft windows, silly.

What if one day (now work with me, this is very much "never going to happen") some judge or something goes, "Dude, microsoft, you are messed up, stop doing business! I order you to stop everything! You must stop selling windows and stop supporting windows. In fact, windows itself is illegal because it is anti-american and weakens our nation and anyone who uses it is anti-american. No one is allowed to offer support for or use Windows. Microsoft, you are not allowed to sell any of your other products as you, again, are no longer a company, but your other products do not undermine the nation's security so they still can be used."

Yeah, I know, my writing is awful. I can't set up scenes worth a

But what if that happened?

I think it would be very Y2K like. Everybody freakin' out and stocking up. You know, 'cause people are dumb and think that all computers wont work and computers are evil. Ithink a lot of people would use windows anyway. I don't think people would learn linux fast enough. I think the stock market would go way down.

What do you think would happen if windows, such a vital part of our system, just dissapeared?
Microsoft would bribe some officials, appeal and win.

Paladine

Beamerboy
December 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM

Plus these non automated systems are well used, due to their networks going down on a frequant basis anyway. When was the last time you didn't hear a member of staff complaining about their internal systems?

Paladine

Peyton
December 1st, 2006, 03:45 AM
I think that the creative judicial interpretation necessary for your situation would make me cry.

daynah
December 1st, 2006, 03:57 AM
I think that the creative judicial interpretation necessary for your situation would make me cry.

I'd give you a cup of coffee to try to make you feel better. :)

user1397
December 1st, 2006, 04:16 AM
IMHO, and this is if windows could not exist anymore, (even illegal copies would not work for some reason) i think major servers would eventually make the move to either *nix servers, or mac servers (ok, mac is also *nix-sy :P)

but as far as desktop users go, i would think many would either switch to mac, or give up computers, or somehow hear about linux and decide "o what the hell, let's try it. half of them would be put off by some minor impedement of linux installation, like x server crashing on them, and another half would be happy ubunut, fedora, suse, [insert distro here] users. for the most part tho, all dumb windows users would switch to macs or give up computing.