PDA

View Full Version : knoppix = free internet ???

dbbolton
November 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM
my friend booted windows on his notebook, hooked it up to the ethernet port at his grandfather's house (where no active service was subscribed at the time) and of course it said he wasn't recognised as a verizon customer. exempli gratia: no internet.

so then he boots knoppix from a live cd and it connects.

what ??

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm sure there is something you haven't noticed...

newlinux
November 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Perhaps knoppix caught a local wireless network? This is strange.

IYY
November 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM
If the machine has a wireless card, it obviously just connected to an unsecure network belonging to the neighbours.

BarfBag
November 30th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Sounds like it connected to a close wireless network/hot spot. What brand of notebook is it? Does it have any indication of wireless capability on it (buttons, logos, whatever)?

dbbolton
November 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM
come on guys, give me some cred.

no, it doesn't have a wireless card. oldddddddddd compaq

v8YKxgHe
November 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Maybe the guys at Knoppix have downloaded the entire internet and managed to put it on the CD.........somehow :p

halfvolle melk
November 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Maybe the guys at Knoppix have downloaded the entire internet and managed to put it on the CD.........somehow :p
:mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
November 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Don't be stupid. How can you download a series of tubes?;)

/If you get this joke, you are a geek.

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Don't be stupid. How can you download a series of tubes?;)

/If you get this joke, you are a geek.
because you only got one internet on the disk. there are plenty more internets where that came from.

newlinux
November 30th, 2006, 10:35 PM
How many computers have you tried? What are the specs of your laptop? Perhaps your internet connection is enabled, but something installed on your windows side prevents you from connecting (or something isn't installed that you need to work with your provider). How do you receive your Internet connection (DSL Modem, DSL modem to router, T1? - what are you plugging into?) These are all just guesses...

dbbolton
November 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
i kind of think he made it up, actually. :D

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM
:-# [-(

](*,)

givré
December 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

:-k

[-(

:mrgreen:

newlinux
December 1st, 2006, 05:02 AM

Wouldn't surprise me... with some the posts I've seen... But I thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt

steven8
December 1st, 2006, 05:45 AM
What I want to know is if they got Al Gore's permission to put his internet on a disk.

slimdog360
December 1st, 2006, 06:46 AM
it would not make any sense otherwise.

pedrotuga
December 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Open the computer and check out if there is a big amount of tubes. as somebody said you might have download all of them.

come on.. what's with this topic... if you dont have internet access its not you operative sistem that will magically connect the internet through some devine network protocol.

dbbolton
December 1st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Open the computer and check out if there is a big amount of tubes. as somebody said you might have download all of them.

come on.. what's with this topic... if you dont have internet access its not you operative sistem that will magically connect the internet through some devine network protocol.
uh. thanks for clearing that up for me.

mushroom
December 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
*downloads Knoppix*

*cancels Bellsouth subscription*

tortus
December 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM

Haha! Your post was even better thanks to your avatar, I could see that dude from Futurama saying that :)

viper
December 2nd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Actually i put a Knoppix CD in the toaster and surf the net .........

Somenoob
December 2nd, 2006, 02:50 AM
Maybe the internet connection was active in some way...

jdong
December 2nd, 2006, 03:39 AM
It could just be some odd bug with the verizon system and how it handles non-Windows systems.

newlinux
December 2nd, 2006, 04:45 AM
If he/she would answer some of the questions I posed (Assuming this is real) we might find out what happened.

Albi
December 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM

.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,...... ............
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

~LoKe
December 2nd, 2006, 05:06 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Bryan181/picardsad.jpg

dbbolton
December 2nd, 2006, 05:29 AM
It could just be some odd bug with the verizon system and how it handles non-Windows systems.
i agree, but apparently i am retarded.

December 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
i think he was paying for it afterall

dbbolton
December 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
bug him on aim : OxIEatEmoKidsxO

steven8
December 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
@~Loke

You never saw Kirk looking depressed like that. He'd just go punch 'em out!! You gotta vent man!! :-)

dbbolton
December 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
for the toaster users, naysayers, scoffers, and hang-head-in-despondency doers

i think what you people have forgotten is that knoppix is from the germans, and there pretty much is nothing out of their reach.

they're beta testing the matrix as we speak. brain plugs and all. there's also talk of wi-mind, which is the same thing minus the plugs.

Dual Cortex
December 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
for the toaster users, naysayers, scoffers, and hang-head-in-despondency doers

i think what you people have forgotten is that knoppix is from the germans, and there pretty much is nothing out of their reach.

they're beta testing the matrix as we speak. brain plugs and all. there's also talk of wi-mind, which is the same thing minus the plugs.

Wait, aren't those the Russians?

;)

dbbolton
December 3rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
only if they got it used from east germany.

qalimas
December 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM
To be completely honest, and sound like an idiot in the process... at an internet cafe on a vacation I went on, in Windows it wanted me to pay and type things in.. on Kubuntu, connecting to the same network let me use the internet o.o Maybe the lock used on both systems we're talking about is Windows specific? I still can't explain it, but it worked, that's all I know, or care to know xD

zenwhen
December 3rd, 2006, 01:26 AM
To be completely honest, and sound like an idiot in the process... at an internet cafe on a vacation I went on, in Windows it wanted me to pay and type things in.. on Kubuntu, connecting to the same network let me use the internet o.o Maybe the lock used on both systems we're talking about is Windows specific? I still can't explain it, but it worked, that's all I know, or care to know xD

I have heard of this a few times before, and don't doubt that you are speaking the truth. Sometimes Linux's incompatibility with certain wireless authentication systems used by hotspots works out in th user's favor.

raublekick
December 3rd, 2006, 01:43 AM
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,...... ............
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

+

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Bryan181/picardsad.jpg

=

..........................................._______ _
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\