PDA

View Full Version : Out of the mouth of kids: Linux is Better

newbie2
November 30th, 2006, 07:09 AM
It was hard to believe, but early Saturday morning my kids snuck downstairs, grabbed my laptop out of the bag and started using it for fun and games. What was more surprising was the fact that they chose my laptop running Fedora, rather than the family PC running Windows with all of the kids games and edutainment packages.

When I asked my son why he had snatched my laptop instead of using the family PC, he replied without hesitation: "Because Linux is better."

After some more fact finding, I learned what was the underlying reason. I had recently installed the latest K12ltsp.org release on the laptop.
http://reallylinux.com/docs/linuxforkids.shtml
:)

aysiu
November 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM
What looks like more fun to a kid?

chaosgeisterchen
November 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Is there any Tux within the Fedora artwork? I haven't seen one yet, so I would rather suggest that they did not decide upon a mascot. Just because of the software available.

Hm. Linux has some rather good games and educational software available, doubtless. This are things that are capable of convincing kids to use it. Apart from those who want to play the newest 3D games...

aysiu
November 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Is there any Tux within the Fedora artwork? I haven't seen one yet, so I would rather suggest that they did not decide upon a mascot. Just because of the software available. You're right, of course. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.

chaosgeisterchen
November 30th, 2006, 07:43 AM
You're right, of course. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.

But some Tux integrated in their artwork would clearly do no harm. It really looks nice and not only children are admitting that they like it.

newbie2
November 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM
What looks like more fun to a kid?
from the article :mrgreen: : -->

The final moans occurred when I told them they needed to go back to using the family PC, because my laptop was for work. This resulted in a revolution. When I finally reminded them that all of their games were loaded on the family PC, they both responded with intensity: "we don't want those, we like the little Tux!"

Apparently not only was Linux easier for them to load. Not only were Gnome and KDE easier to traverse and simpler to use. Now they were declaring the attraction to the Linux mascot! I guess I can understand, looking at a cuddly Penguin certainly beats looking at the hard edged corporate logos that fill most of the Windows desktop icons and graphics.

Sushi
November 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Earlier this year I had my in-laws visiting me and my wife. They had their 11 year old kid with them. He wanted to play some online-games with my computer (Runescape mostly). Back then my computer was running Kubuntu. I had to punch in few commands to make the game work (some Java-thingies), and he was looking over my shoulder as I punched few commands in to YaKuake. He looked on, and asked my mother in-law: "How come this computer is so cool and advanced, whereas our computer is not?". Their computer runs Windows 2000.

chaosgeisterchen
November 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM
You should have answered 'there's no big deal in achieving that. Just install Kubuntu.' and pass him over some installation disc.

He will be happy with it, I hope.

Miguel
November 30th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Get them while they're young! MUAHAHAHAHA

Ahhhhh... Ahhhh... Come to the dark side of the source, Luke.

TLE
November 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
You snatched the words right out of my muth.

Oh but even seriously. Consider how much of the problem of getting fair competetion is due to that fact that people don't want to try Linux because "they don't want to have to learn a lot of new stuff" (though offcourse in essence they don't really know that much about the inner workings of their ******* either, and a lot of the knowledge they have about the rest can be recycled). So but anyway, just teach them Linux to begin with, no more problem. YEAAAHH

kuja
November 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Ahhhhh... Ahhhh... Come to the dark side of the source, Luke.
I'll never join you! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Miguel
November 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Oh but even seriously. Consider how much of the problem of getting fair competetion is due to that fact that people don't want to try Linux because "they don't want to have to learn a lot of new stuff" (though offcourse in essence they don't really know that much about the inner workings of their ******* either, and a lot of the knowledge they have about the rest can be recycled). So but anyway, just teach them Linux to begin with, no more problem. YEAAAHH

I was talking half-seriously. THe "half" part is the wording, with a tone that should show some madness. But the sentence is true. It's not actually mine, as I've read it all over the net. It refers to Microsoft's campaign, prices and policies towards schools and universities. The reason MS develops and encourages DX is to assure games run only on windows, so children want windows. It seems they failed this time.

TLE
November 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I was talking half-seriously. THe "half" part is the wording, with a tone that should show some madness. But the sentence is true.

Yeah it was the "mad" part I was referring to. It is a funny quote! Though I sort of thought it was something politically related or founded, I mean there are plenty of examples. Like what Hitler did with Hitler Jugend, and well (though in a totally different context) as far as I understand there are also military representatives drafting for the US millitary in High Schools and other stuff like that. Like they show in one of those TV spots in Starship Troopers where some soldiers are showing 10 year old kids their rifles and teaching them to squash bug while their teacher is laughing fratically in the background. "Want to know more" LOL

Miguel
November 30th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Well, if this works for Starship Troopers, the US Army and even Microsoft Windows... tomorrow I'll go to a school and start preaching quantum mechanics. Welcome to the dark side of physics!!! It must work. IT MUST!!!! The world will be mine!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA Everybody will know what the heck an eigenvalue is!!! MUAHAHAHAA

Sorry, I haven't eaten the pill. It must be the headache.

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM
You now have the perfect reason to install linux (that or maybe edubuntu) on the home computer!

Just tell the wife and back up her stuff, including emails, before you do? :)

Reshin
November 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I find this misuse of the term "dark side" disturbing

hotbrainz
November 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Darkside is the best side...no sacrilege will be tolerated. Feel the force..... u jedi scum :>

Spano
November 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
They know daddy likes Linux - They want to be like Dad?

daynah
November 30th, 2006, 05:13 PM
They know daddy likes Linux - They want to be like Dad?

Shh, don't add perfectly good psychological explainations to this. Like the following footsteps. Or the "cookie in the jar" idea. Or that it's something new to play with. We'd much rather believe that children have more pure intelligence and that if -just a few children- like it better, it means conclusively that linux is absolutely without a doubt better all around. ;) ;)

I wouldn't worry about the fact that they may just be following daddy's footsteps too much though. How many people are just following someone else's footsteps for windows? I mean, in college we're taking Word classes and being taught that to be successful you must know Word. Following footsteps with computers doesn't end at childhood.

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM
(haven't read the whole thread)

Meh, they just like the Tux and gnibbles.
I remember I always wanted to use that weird OS that my older brother used with that fun-conveying penguin.