PDA

View Full Version : Buisnesscard Design Programs?

Dokatz
November 30th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Is there a program out there for linux, specifically for designing buisnesscards and printing them off onto cardstock? If so, please link me and tell me something about if (If you know anything).

And if there isnt, Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to go about doing this? Why pay someone else for something that seems so simple...Heh.

My basic idea is to design some, Once I get the image down I can just go print it off on cardstock on a windows machine or whatever, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything for this job specifically or has any good ideas on how to go about it.

Thanks alot in advance, thought I would give the forums a shot (Since you guys are so friggin helpful with everything)

-Dokatz

Beamerboy
November 30th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Is there a program out there for linux, specifically for designing buisnesscards and printing them off onto cardstock? If so, please link me and tell me something about if (If you know anything).

And if there isnt, Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to go about doing this? Why pay someone else for something that seems so simple...Heh.

My basic idea is to design some, Once I get the image down I can just go print it off on cardstock on a windows machine or whatever, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything for this job specifically or has any good ideas on how to go about it.

Thanks alot in advance, thought I would give the forums a shot (Since you guys are so friggin helpful with everything)

-Dokatz
Well you should be able to design the cards in any graphics package that will allow you to set the image to a specified size in mm as opposed to pixels.

You can do this in GIMP (I know cos I recently created some 1"x1" images for case badges).

Paladine

Dokatz
November 30th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I guess I'll learn to play around with it of course, But I am such a moron when it comes to GIMP, I was just getting my bearing on Paint Shop Pro, Even though I coulden't really do much, I was comfterble. GIMP actually seems easier to use to me but still, I'm not artsy in a eyecandy kind of way; Guess I'll have to play with it until it looks fine

Polygon
November 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM
and also if you set your cardstock printer up correctly, you should be able to print your business card design onto the cards using your printer. Just select it from the list when you hit print.

Roger Mudd
November 30th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Another option is OpenOffice. Here (http://documentation.openoffice.org/Samples_Templates/User/template/id_2_business_card.stw) is a template direct from Open Office. My understanding is that it needs to be placed in the "template" folder. In Windows, it's located here:

%OpenOffice.org%/user/template

I assume it's found somewhere like this in Linux:

/home/username/.openoffice/template

mips
November 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Maybe look at inkscape, http://www.inkscape.org/

Dokatz
November 30th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks alot for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and play with that template... Cheers!

Wow, I never really thought about just designing it in openoffice to be portioned off with colored and toned tables like that, The entire idea just escaped me.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know when/if I get done and maybe take a snapshot of the finished procuct(s).

Roger Mudd
November 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Glad we could help. BTW, the location to save the template to is:

/home/username/.openoffice.org2/user/template

I was writing from XP before. Sorry.
Open the template via the following routine:

Launch Writer
CTRL-SHIFT-N
Select "Templates"
Select "My Templates"
Select the business card template you just downloaded and then click open.

Bezmotivnik
November 30th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I don't have OO on this machine, so I'm curious about the printing format.

A good business card program would arrange the maximum number of cards on a standard sheet of card stock and put cutting guides on the outside of the margins.

Any of these do this?

The Mekon
November 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
There is a simple program gLabels available via Synaptic Package Manager.

It is suitable for producing a wide variety of business card format and labels.

Brian

bean77
August 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
gLabels is fantastic-thanks for the tip!

likemindead
August 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I don't have anything to add other than I dig your avatar and I'm listening to a bootleg of Tom Waits' VH1 Storytellers. Amazing. He's a genius.