PDA

View Full Version : Ths Forum s the most....

KCSlions
November 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM
This forum is the most "Mature" forum I've ever been on. Honestly. I've never seen anyone get flamed or otherwise harassed here. Everyone here is so patient. Btw- i do not post that frequently- but i read this forum regularly. i just don't talk a lot on forums- but I'm there.. XD

-'s are commas Just fyi. My eyboard doesn't wor properly and cannot type anything on the row with "i" in it. i copy i onto the clipboard. lol

Somenoob
November 30th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I could not agree with you more :D

~LoKe
November 30th, 2006, 05:16 AM
That's because of consistent moderation. I got a warning for calling someone an idiot. ;)

KCSlions
November 30th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Lol.. Bonus points (this was an assignment? Who new?) for anyone who can guess what my avatar is. :mrgreen:

KCSlions
November 30th, 2006, 05:23 AM
That's because of consistent moderation. I got a warning for calling someone an idiot. ;)

teehee. i called myself an idiot on these forums once. XD

Iandefor
November 30th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Lol.. Bonus points (this was an assignment? Who new?) for anyone who can guess what my avatar is. :mrgreen: Looks a lot like my favorite drug ;).

Gotta love caffeine :).

aysiu
November 30th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Moved to the forums subforums.

People do get flamed and harassed, but we moderate that kind of behavior heavily--very little tolerance for that sort of stuff.

Mimsy
November 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Lol.. Bonus points (this was an assignment? Who new?) for anyone who can guess what my avatar is. :mrgreen:

It's a caffeine molecule. Now, can I have some, please? In espresso form, if possible. :)

/Mimsy

matthew
November 30th, 2006, 08:31 AM
It's a caffeine molecule. Now, can I have some, please? In espresso form, if possible. :)

/MimsyYou beat me to it...serves me right for sleeping late.

/me hands Mimsy a double espresso and reaches for one myself.

Brunellus
November 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Moved to the forums subforums.

People do get flamed and harassed, but we moderate that kind of behavior heavily--very little tolerance for that sort of stuff.
Our banhammers are well-worn from much use.

But seriously. A lot of it is due to the tone that u-g set on this forum to begin with. this is a largely self-policing, self-regulating community, with plenty of pride in how the community operates.

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 02:35 AM
This is the most diciplined forum, I think, the moderators are seemingly watched carefully on how they worked before they were chosen, because they are the smartest, inspriational, and kindest people here.

Ben Sprinkle
December 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
It is also because almost everyone on this forum is at least over age 20 - being an adult.

I myself am 16, and I think that you must be around 13-15 because of the way you type. :)
(If I am wrong don't get mad, just a guess)

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:10 PM
It is also because almost everyone on this forum is at least over age 20 - being an adult.

I myself am 16, and I think that you must be around 13-15 because of the way you type. :)
(If I am wrong don't get mad, just a guess)
Not true. We have quite a few users who are well under 20, I believe. If I'm not mistaken, Jdong got started as Backports project leader back when he was 16 or so (during the Warty cycle).

I would like to think that we *behave* like grown-ups, and *expect* users to behave like grown-ups, and that expectation is usually enough to promote good, healthy discussion.

There are, of course, those who will disagree and say that we are rather heavy-handed in our moderation around here--and I wouldn't dispute that. We take a very dim view of abusive and aggressive behavior.

Personally, I don't much enjoy locking/moving threads or handing out infractions. As someone who "grew up" on USENET, I'm always mindful of how "moderated" newsgroups tended to limp along, always near death, while their "unmoderated" counterparts tended to be more vibrant and engaging. There, of course, every user was his own moderator, exercising good old-fashioned restraint on the one hand and *LIBERAL* use of his scorefile (aka "killfile") on the other.

justin whitaker
December 1st, 2006, 05:00 PM
This forum is the most "Mature" forum I've ever been on. Honestly. I've never seen anyone get flamed or otherwise harassed here.

We can harass you if you really want. :mrgreen:

Actually, that's one of the big reasons why I keep Ubuntu: the quality of the forums, the help from the community, is very, very important to me. These guys and girls are the best, and the ban hammers keep it nice and tidy.

Ben Sprinkle
December 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Not true. We have quite a few users who are well under 20, I believe. If I'm not mistaken, Jdong got started as Backports project leader back when he was 16 or so (during the Warty cycle).

I would like to think that we *behave* like grown-ups, and *expect* users to behave like grown-ups, and that expectation is usually enough to promote good, healthy discussion.

There are, of course, those who will disagree and say that we are rather heavy-handed in our moderation around here--and I wouldn't dispute that. We take a very dim view of abusive and aggressive behavior.

Personally, I don't much enjoy locking/moving threads or handing out infractions. As someone who "grew up" on USENET, I'm always mindful of how "moderated" newsgroups tended to limp along, always near death, while their "unmoderated" counterparts tended to be more vibrant and engaging. There, of course, every user was his own moderator, exercising good old-fashioned restraint on the one hand and *LIBERAL* use of his scorefile (aka "killfile") on the other.

That's why I said almost.
I know there are young people here it's just I'd say at least 80% of the people here are adults.

PriceChild
December 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
That's why I said almost.
I know there are young people here it's just I'd say at least 80% of the people here are adults.I really think you'd be surprised...

Oh and about the locking of threads etc. So far as a moderator, I could count the number of threads I've locked on one hand... probably twice. (Not counting jailed spam)

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
I guess one other reason this forum is the best is because nobody has a title position, there are staff and moderators and what not, but the community is just as powerful as the ranks, nobody has a say over another, there is no "I should respect what the elders say" because nobody has an age, we have no race, no religion, no political bias, here I feel as if we are all human, this lives up to its name "Linux for Human Beings".

PriceChild
December 1st, 2006, 11:19 PM
there are staff and moderators and what not,But don't make that make you think we're "better" than you...I think I'm still pretty much a newb at Linux after my year with it so far.