PDA

View Full Version : "Has an Ubuntu Drip" - Wrong grammar!

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I'm talking about those descriptions that appear above the pictures of the coffee cups, etc. It should be "Has a Ubuntu Drip."
"an" is also used before words that start with a vowel that sounds like a consonant. i.e. the starting sound of Ubuntu is more like 'Yubuntu'

Same goes the other way around... i.e. "It is an honor"; the 'h' is silent.

I'm sure this is a very easy thing to fix ;).

qalimas
November 30th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Since U is an actual vowel.. wouldn't it be an? o.o I never paid much attention in English.. still don't xD

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 03:03 AM
That's a VERY common misconception, in fact, this site explains it quite well:

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/3431/?letter=A&spage=1

PriceChild
November 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM
English is a funny language.... most of the rules are broken quite a lot.

I was sure that the actual rule was "an" before a vowel and some "h"s... so is fine as it is.

At the end of the day... it switches between a & an to make a sentence easier to speak out loud. Try saying it with "a" and it won't sound anywhere near as good and easy as "an".

Pricey

qalimas
November 30th, 2006, 03:08 AM
That's a VERY common misconception, in fact, this site explains it quite well:

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/3431/?letter=A&spage=1

Thanks for the link, very informative. I wonder if I could get bonus points in English for bringing up this topic and being correct about it... :P

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I actually have a hard time reading it and pronouncing it with "an."

It just stood out when I read it and couldn't keep myself from posting this after seeing a Ubuntu member a couple of times with that "description" under his/her name.

GStubbs43
November 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
But Ubuntu is pronounced like ooo-boon-too not you-boon-too. And ooo (or ooh) is a a vowel sound.

Dual Cortex
November 30th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Oh it is?
Well in that case then "an" is correct :P

Heh, and Spanish is my native language, don't really know why I stuck with the "you."