PDA

View Full Version : Vista - BBC Ariticle

Titus A Duxass
November 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6191812.stm check out this article on the BBC webpages, it is about vista and how the BBC sees it.

The experts predict that 100 million PCs will have vista installed within 1 year.

Also of interest, an en masse defection to alternatives/rivals like mac or linux is not expected.

ixus_123
November 29th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Just looks liek a re-hashed press release to me.

No mention was made of the steep hardware requirements for example & the only "expert" I could see was a MS employee.

holylucifer
November 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Actually i have dumped xp for this so i can learn and make it my new home, for gameing,hey at least it can play Unreal tournament 2004!,

holylucifer
November 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM
And yes the media are hypocrites,

dbbolton
November 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM
In some ways, Vista's success is inevitable.

if success means that it will generate profit for M$ rather than in any way be an improvement over anything else they have ever hawked to the general public.

hotbrainz
November 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM
The article is well funny. It is like... "hello kids, who wants the nice big red Candy, everybody will get one ...get in line"

I dont see how businesses will just fall for the "looks thing" when they have invested bucketloads of time and money on XP.

Well..... it is the media which does most advertising for Microsoft even more than the misleading Ads that they put up. I reckon they pay BBC or what?

holylucifer
November 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah do basicly the same stuff, which requires more computer resources, erm hello mr microsoft, what did you do to this os?

Josh1
November 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Most will stick with XP & 2000, businesses really do not want to fork over 1000's for 2gigs of RAM, most still have like 512megs with 2.4/2.63.0 ghz P4's...

Just my 2c.

chaosgeisterchen
November 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Interesting, their criticism on Windows is still inexisting and I regard this article as more or less highly biased. Upon this emphasis I can't take it for too serious.

mips
November 29th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Most will stick with XP & 2000, businesses really do not want to fork over 1000's for 2gigs of RAM, most still have like 512megs with 2.4/2.63.0 ghz P4's...

Just my 2c.

I do not think you understand how corporate enterprises work.

They do not pay the average 'joe' consumer prices for XP or Vista. They buy licenses for 50 000+ versions of the software and they get discounts on it. Part of the contract includes support and on site ms engineers etc. They want the support.

They will not switch immediately to Vista but wait 1-2 yrs before they switch. They will test stability & application compatibilty in house.

Corporates have a maximum of 3yr depreciation cycle on their hardware for PCs & laptops. After that they get replaced. They buy 1000's of new pcs a year. Their latest purchases will run Vista just fine, after the waiting testing period all their hardware will be up to spec in order to run Vista. They will switch regardless when support for 2000/XP comes to an end.

I'm tired of hearing how MS will fail, they will not fail as they understand how business/marketing works. If you believe otherwise you are suffering from some form of dillusion.

Yeah sure, lots of businesses use Linux/Unix, but it is usually in the back end stuff for servers etc, not the desktop.

John T. Monkey
November 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't really see too much wroing with the article, and I believe that Vista will be successful.

It is going to come preinstalled on the new computers that people buy, and people are going to use it that way.

When people are looking for new computers, they are going to go to the new Windows because, even if it does have alot of changes to it, it is going to be the OS that most resembles the one they are used to. And they won't have to install it.

The article (probably) correctly points out that the success of Vista will not happen over night

"Only early adopters will upgrade to Vista straight away - for example avid gamers who want to play snazzy games that make use of Microsoft's new Vista-only DirectX 10 standard.

Most consumers will adopt Vista gradually, as they replace their old computers".

In terms of the claim that users will not flock to (Apple and) Linux

And as Vista is much better than Microsoft's current offering, there is little reason to assume that customers will defect en masse to rivals like Apple or Linux. After all, they failed to do so when Windows XP was riddled with security holes.

Can you really, honestly see lot's of users moving over to Linux because MS are releasing a new OS? Because I can't. People are going to buy the new computers with the new OS installed and are going to use that OS.

I think Linux is great and love using it, I want to see more use it and believe that it will gain users, especially taking into account the rate at which it improves, but it's not going to happen overnight just because of Vista.

The article is a fine overview of the situation, and is what I would expect of the BBC website (There could be more Linux coverage on there though :( )

tom56
November 29th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Actually, I read that article and thought it pretty fair. Much as I don't like it the article is more or less correct. Admittedly, they don't point out the advantages of other OSes but the information presented is clear and accurate.

And as Vista is much better than Microsoft's current offering, there is little reason to assume that customers will defect en masse to rivals like Apple or Linux. After all, they failed to do so when Windows XP was riddled with security holes

I think the writer is spot on to say that people won't choose Vista because it's better in any way; they simply won't "choose" it at all.

From 30 January 2007 nearly every new Windows computer on every shelf will come ... preloaded with Vista

.t.
November 29th, 2006, 10:06 PM
What is promising is that "Traditionally this so-called OEM business (where the operating system is pre-installed on the computer) accounts for about 80% of Microsoft's Windows revenues." When Ubuntu is successful, and OEMs install it, I can see that Microsoft will have little income to wrestle with; although, they'd certainly have one hell of a lot of capital. No-one should ever be allowed into this situation, where, even though they can make nothing, even a loss, but still survive. Living off their capital. Capitalism, I believe it is called.

Gargamella
November 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM
the only thing i miss is macromedia flash, however i feel very good standing in Dapper ;D

teaker1s
November 29th, 2006, 10:38 PM
vista will sell, the difference I believe is that slightly more power users will get pee'd off with DRM/TRUSTED PLATFORM side of things and think of moving.

I've RC2 of vista and I thought it wasn't breath taking-improvement on xp yes-rewriting MS history I think not

doobit
November 29th, 2006, 10:43 PM
What is promising is that "Traditionally this so-called OEM business (where the operating system is pre-installed on the computer) accounts for about 80% of Microsoft's Windows revenues." When Ubuntu is successful, and OEMs install it, I can see that Microsoft will have little income to wrestle with; although, they'd certainly have one hell of a lot of capital. No-one should ever be allowed into this situation, where, even though they can make nothing, even a loss, but still survive. Living off their capital. Capitalism, I believe it is called.

We need big-time OEM installs. There are a few of us small timers trying to ship new computer system with Ubuntu installed, but we are getting booed a little by the community because we can't sell them cheaply enough.
Vista may actually present us with an ooportunity because the hardware requirements will result in increased base cost for a Vista system compared to a Linux system which doesn't yet need as much RAM or as big a hard drive or as fast a CPU to be useable.

Brunellus
November 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
We need big-time OEM installs. There are a few of us small timers trying to ship new computer system with Ubuntu installed, but we are getting booed a little by the community because we can't sell them cheaply enough.
Vista may actually present us with an ooportunity because the hardware requirements will result in increased base cost for a Vista system compared to a Linux system which doesn't yet need as much RAM or as big a hard drive or as fast a CPU to be useable.
...or hardware manufacturers will take the loss leader and cut their margins. I am reminded of the industry that invented "rebates"--the railroads of the 19th century...

dbbolton
November 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
the only thing i miss is macromedia flash, however i feel very good standing in Dapper ;D
same here !

dbbolton
November 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
my friend's father is a computer administrator at a local college. they bought like 12 blades, and each supposedly came with ubuntu pre-installed.