PDA

View Full Version : How long it will take us to see Ubuntu with MCE functionality?

PryGuy
November 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Good day everyone!
Ubuntu is a nice OS! It's stable, good looking, etc, etc. But still have to use M$ Windows Media Center Edition 2005 for my DVDs and TV recording.They have a very functional and nice remote also. But I'd love to replace it with Ubuntu. I've heard a lot about MythTV and similar projects, I know there's still a long way till the developers will be able to integrate it into Ubuntu. But anyway, I'd like to ask you when do you think it will happen (if it happens). Thanks!

DC@DR
November 29th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I'd love to see it come around next year, but it seems unlikely so, that's why I voted for 2 years to come :-)

Magnes
November 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Why don't you replace MCE with other distribution then? There is at least one linux distribution that is intended to be "media center". Don't remember the name though.
Edit: But Ubuntu as media center would be great to have.

ixus_123
November 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM
there is mythtv

if you are booting into Windows to do it then why not just have that on your machine? Knoppmyth pretty much does all the hard work for you.

Or if you still want to use your desktop & don't want to follw the howto to install mythtv under Ubuntu (in the docs section & Howtos) then you could just use Mplayer / mencoder to watch TV & record the stream - using mplayer / mencoder you could even encode to h264 on the fly (if your PC is fast enough) giving you reduced file sizes

pelle.k
November 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I love geexbox as a mediaplayer. If you wan't to setup a PVR then read this article first. http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/13/linux_pvr.html

Lem
November 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I have a dedicated mythbox, but also have a frontend installed on my main pc. I can open up myth and do MCE type stuff whenever I wish. Having multiple desktops means I can listen to DVB-T radio and still carrying on using my PC.

It's there already - you just need to install it.