PDA

View Full Version : Which Wireless card to buy for native Linux support (Ubuntu 6.10 and Suse 10.1)?

stuh84
November 29th, 2006, 02:28 AM
I'm in the UK, and am getting sick to death of my ACX111 based card in my desktop PC. It would be okay if it didn't just stop working half the time. I have a friend who bought the same card (Safecom), and he think's its god awful too.

I've spent many many hours and days trying to get it working wirelessly, and finally in 6.10 it started working correctly, however this problem with it kopping out still exists. It happens in Ubuntu, Windows 2K, did it in Kubuntu when I had it installed, and Suse doesn't even see it at all.

I've had enough of trying to configure a card for hours and hours, and then when its done, it still doesn't want to play. I've been using Ubuntu loads on my laptop now I have the wireless working, if I could sort this then the Desktop would see so much more use.

ANYWAY I'm based in the UK so people from this side of the pond could help with vendors, but what do you guys recommend in terms of Wireless cards? I'd prefer to avoid TI ACX based cards, and Broadcom aren't the nicest to get working either (I'm not adverse to them now I know how to make them work, but it sure was a chore), so maybe something Atheros? Or otherwise, whatever as long as it works.

As long as it works in Ubuntu perfectly thats all I want on this PC, Suse support would be great too, and Windows 2000 support would be.....functional I guess :p

So yeah, a challenge to you guys, help! :-D

stuh84
November 29th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Right I'm off to kill myself now,

Not to self: use the search function in future and you will find https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

prizrak
November 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Intel