PDA

View Full Version : Want to write an app for Ubuntu, where do I start?

GreenLantern33
November 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'm been a visual basic programmer for about 10 years now. About a year ago I started playing around with linux, until a few weeks ago when I finally did the big switch and run Ubuntu on my main machine.

Now that I have everything working, I'm beginning to wonder how I can write applications for Linux. I have dabbled in C, but I don't really understand how to go about creating forms and dialogs like you can in visual basic.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is my first step? And what is the step after that, and after that, and so on?

Thanks,
GL

marianom
November 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
It seems that Python is a popular language here. I have more or less the same doubts you have (although I'm used to pl/sql) and I started recently learning it: too few days to comment anyway).
You can create a launchpad account, look for a project there and download a branch of any of them to take a pick.

Just my 2 cents.

cgrebeld
November 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I would say that even though the web is full of tutorials and such, a good way to start is with a book. I get like 300 hits of 'linux' in the Amazon programming category.

The choice of gui api depends somewhat on what features you want.

GreenLantern33
November 30th, 2006, 12:47 AM
I want something that is similiar to visual basic. Something that I can create forms and drag controls. I have looked into C and Python, and I don't really see any way to do this. In fact, I don't even understand how these programs even make forms and controls.

addicted68098
November 30th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I would recomend you use python, its a very nice language, just type python in the terminal!

Tkinter is very easy to use (although isn't as useful as GNOMES support) I don't think it supports dragging out of the box.
Basic is the highest level language out there.

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

coder_
November 30th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Try Python with Gtk and Glade. Install the Python Gtk and Python Glade packages via apt-get (or my personal favorite, aptitude), then look here for a nice tutorial: http://www.pygtk.org/articles/pygtk-glade-gui/Creating_a_GUI_using_PyGTK_and_Glade.htm

ZuLuuuuuu
December 1st, 2006, 12:15 AM
I was also a Visual Basic programmer and recently decided to learn C to also write programmes on Linux. Learning C is also good if you are writing programmes for microcontrollers etc. But so many people say that writing programmes with Python is so fun that I started thinking of learning Python. I think this is the last topic of them. I will buy a Python book as soon as possible and learn them in parallel.

crazedgremlin
December 1st, 2006, 12:31 AM
wxPython is cool for making windowed applications, plus you can run it anywhere.

scoon
December 1st, 2006, 12:38 AM
I want something that is similiar to visual basic. Something that I can create forms and drag controls. I have looked into C and Python, and I don't really see any way to do this. In fact, I don't even understand how these programs even make forms and controls.

Hey there,

Why not check out mono ( open source .net )? You know tomboy and f-spot were written in c#. That way, you could feel much more 2 home with your coding.

-scoon

GreenLantern33
December 1st, 2006, 01:26 AM
I've been playing around with Python for a few days now. I'm really starting to understand it.

The more I read about programming the more I'm starting to realize how worthless visual basic is.

mdurham
December 1st, 2006, 03:18 AM
GreenLantern33, if you don't want to learn a new language why not try Gambas. I'm not a basic programmer so have no personal knowledge of it but have read very favorable reviews. I think it comes complete with it's own IDE.
Good luck.

fossile57
December 1st, 2006, 03:27 AM
I looked into programming under Linux and I wanted to find a VB like
programming environment and I found that Gambas is not bad at all.

I also tried Lazarus with free Pascal but I find it generates huge codes
compared to Gambas.:confused:

I will look into using Python link suggested previously but a quick glance at the tutorial reminded me of Windows programming 10 years ago...:(

I find that Linux is still catching up to Windows for Visual programming but
the gap is narrowing compared to just a few years ago.

Of course I am still a newbee to Linux programming and I did not want to invest much time into learning a new programming language so my opinion is
based on being able to quickly write a small program without investing a lot
of time learning a new language.

fossile57
December 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM
snip

coder_
December 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM
FreePascal and Lazarus is really good in my opinion, as well as Kylix Personal Edition by Delphi (If you are into the proprietary software thing, which I'm not, but I admit, it's a nice dev environment).

You can get the Linux Kylix Personal Edition by going to www.borland.com