PDA

View Full Version : What are the plans?

BLTicklemonster
November 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
So there is Dapper out with long term support, as well as, of course, Hoary and all. Now Edgy has come out, and Feisty is about to hit the pipeline. Why? I mean, the improvements that each new version has... should those not logically be incorporated into the previous releases without someone having to do a dist upgrade? I have only had one update on edgy in the last week or so, yet I know that someone is coding their fingertips off for Feisty. Would not it be more practical to be working on wireless support and dual monitor set up than to be tearing off in new directions every time a release hits? Once Feisty is released, I guess Gorillasnot is the next version? While people are working on that, should they not be better put to use working on getting Dapper (remember the one that has long term support and is the "use this" version?) to have the best possible setup for wireless, hardware support, dual monitor support, etc?

I'm sorry, but it just seems to me that once a version is put out, it's left to it's own devices while the coders run off reinventing the wheel, and it just seems like their talents would be better off used to nail down everything possible with the current LTS version before even thinking of making a new verion.

Or am I just totally way off base here?

:-k

ciscosurfer
November 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Have you had a bad experience with Edgy (or are you using Dapper?)

Brunellus
November 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
"newer" is not always "better."

LTS releases are really meant for large deployments or server use, where stability is more important than bleeding-edginess. Everything up to Dapper (Warty, Hoary, Breezy) was building to Dapper, whose release cycle will be as long--but not quite--as, say, Debian Stable, or RHEL's.

There are backporting efforts to get certain new features into the older distributions, but those are not officially supported, nor are they all that recommended for users interested in stability. And yes, I am being very cautious.

BLTicklemonster
November 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Good answer Brunellus.

I'm running triple boot; automagically boot to Edgy with Dapper and XP in grub if I want to boot to them. I'm eager to try out Feisty, too.

I have no problems with Dapper or Edgy at all, though I can tell you that Dapper appears to have stuff work better, I have Edgy formatted to reiser fs or whatever, so it runs faster/better than dapper does. (probably I'll redo dapper soon to take advantage of the speed reiser seems to give Edgy)

I just wondered about all that is all. It just seems like a waste of resources to keep hotrodding when there's fine releases that need support, too.