PDA

View Full Version : Imagine No Ms Windows Tomorrow

viper
November 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
If a virus/bug/whatever got every windows pc on the planet and in a short period all windows pc's died - servers the lot....how long before millions of people started starving - at least in the developed world. Compaines would crash, wall street, farmers....
Is it acceptable that one company should be able to hold so many people in the world to ransom?

PryGuy
November 28th, 2006, 10:45 AM
...Imagine there's no Windows, It's easy if you try... :D

Bender the Robot
November 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Can I presume that my tax records and, consequently, my debt to the Inland Revenue will be wiped. If so, then bliss... bring on the 'virus'.

falkenberg_cph
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM

He he. i was gonna write that :)

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 10:55 AM
the original post in the thread reminds me of an article on winehq.com. here is the link: http://www.winehq.com/site/why

read the paragraph entitled "Large homogeneous populations are a risk to society". it's a good read, and makes this valid point even clearer.

ubeauty
November 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
He he. i was gonna write that :)

It's unlikely such a beast can be written, the point is though, why should the world be held ransom by one organisation with a overwhelming monopoly on operating systems?

ubeauty
November 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM
the original post in the thread reminds me of an article on winehq.com. here is the link: http://www.winehq.com/site/why

read the paragraph entitled "Large homogeneous populations are a risk to society". it's a good read, and makes this valid point even clearer.

Perfect article.

slimdog360
November 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM
No Microsoft below us
Above us only linux

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
imagine steve ballmer.....
begging at a traffic-light.....

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
you may think i'm a luser,
but i'm just a linux one.
i hope some day you'll join us,
and the world will code as one.

falkenberg_cph
November 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
He he.

Interesting article, though Im not sure its right. I couldnt imagine that truely fragile/important systems would run on a windows system.

viper
November 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM
imagine steve ballmer.....
begging at a traffic-light.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FurryNemesis
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
What would happen?

Meltdown.
Chaos.
Confusion.

And me with a gigantic spindle of freshly-burnt LiveCDs and one of those rapid-fire guns that fires foam discs. Now there's a delivery system.

Ballmer wouldn't beg. Not that I wish it on him, but he'd just suffer an explosive heart attack. That or die of shock.

falkenberg_cph
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
:mrgreen: I should record it in Ardour :mrgreen:

viper
November 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM
He he.

Interesting article, though Im not sure its right. I couldnt imagine that truely fragile/important systems would run on a windows system.

Yet they do......Banks, critical infrastructure, Governments the list goes on and on....95% as in the article.

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM
you know how a renegade virus destroyed the world in T3: rise of the machines, those weren't no linux boxes that were infected. :D

PryGuy
November 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I see it now, rebels would use Linux machines! ;) I have expected Arnie is nothing but a Windows machine... :D

ubeauty
November 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
So we know that 'nix is a solution, but how will the 95% find out? That's my life they are risking, that's my family, my neighbour, my mate and partner. That's the woman across the road. That is my friends in Europe and Asia and the Americas' and and and....it's serious threat and it scares me -really.

steven8
November 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Oh no!, we were scuttled by an "Ah'll be back."-door trojan!!

*ouch!*

falkenberg_cph
November 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Oh no!, we were scuttled by an "Ah'll be back."-door trojan!!

*ouch!*
Oh, that was bad one :mrgreen:

Well i would love to stay for this apocalyptic chat, but i gotta go to work. Lets hope the trains arent run by windows machines.

falkenberg_cph
November 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
PS: an old danish computer magazine from the eighties had an article called. "C64 controls the nuclear plants" - now those were the days!!!

PryGuy
November 28th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Imagine there's no Windows,
It's easy if you try,
No Micro$oft above us -
Above us only sky...

jclmusic
January 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
i think this is very possible, considering 95% of windows computers are infected already. it's only a matter of time before they are infected to the point of becoming unusable.

Tomosaur
January 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't happen. This is why we have backups, security systems etc. The most a 'windows blackout' would cause would be something like a 24hr period of disruption. Many vital systems do not use a 'proper OS', and run on their own architecture, while many of those that DO use Windows or some other OS are either on darknets (not connected to the 'real net') and are thus not likely to be infected, or are otherwise isolated from the universe.

insane_alien
January 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
at least all the important internet sites and the back bone would be up and running(google, wikipedia, these forums etc etc.) power plants tend to use an embedded OS specifically written for that plant. its unlikely they'd use windows on the important stuff.