PDA

View Full Version : Computer / Electronic waste

ade234uk
November 28th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Everytime you pick up a magazine, newspaper its always advertising a new mobile phone, pc etc.... It really is scary the amount of waste we are producing these days.

My boss is one of these people that has to go out and get the latest greatest without thinking about if his exisiting technology works for him. All he does is surf the web, read emails and write letters.

For example just becuase Windows slowed down on his laptop becuase of the amount of crap he installed, instead of just formatting and starting over again he went and bought a new laptop becuase he think the components inside get old and slow down. I think a lot of the average joes think this as well.

My boss is now insisting I have a new Laptop, I have told him I dont want one as my current Laptop does everything I need it to do. A new laptop is not going to make my work any faster.

My Laptop is 5+ years old, but it still works great for what I need it to do.

So what if it does not have a DVD Drive or decent Video Card, so what if I need a PCMCIA card to surf the web. At the end of the day I dont need a new laptop. Im kind of rejecting it on Enviromental issues as well. I feel that there is too much waste these days.

Do you get the most out of your technology?

smoker
November 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM
hi, take the new laptop, just ensure the old one is donated to a school/charity, and not dumped, then more will benefit!

FurryNemesis
November 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Yep. Nothing wrong with new stuff, as long as what goes around comes around.

Sounds like your boss needs a few home truths told.