PDA

View Full Version : cannot install "build-essential"?

Ian0107
November 28th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I have a c program compiled, it just show " stdio.h: No such file or directory". Someone said I shold install build-essential, but it just doesn't work:

~# apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package build-essential

blackrim
November 28th, 2006, 07:09 AM
that is odd. it should work.
in your message you have $ apt-get install build-essential but it should be $ sudo apt-get install build-essential.
one thing you could try is $ sudo apt-get update to ensure that you repo databases are up to date and that they recognize there is a build-essential package.
could also open up synaptic and verify that there is something there for build-essential.

the_dragon_booster_
November 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Do you have to pay 4 it? :-k

if u do i don't really wanna install it [-(

Ian0107
November 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
the problem is solved.launch the synaptic package manager & click the reload button. thank you! Actually, I have reinstall the OS before i find the solution. :KS

Ramses de Norre
November 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Do you have to pay 4 it? :-k

if u do i don't really wanna install it [-(

Pay for software from the repositories? No way! It's all free and open ;)
(This is, as long as you don't add multiverse.)

steevk
November 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Something else I'd like to ask...how did you compile a program without build-essential?

shining
November 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Something else I'd like to ask...how did you compile a program without build-essential?

build-essential is only a metapackage, so you can build everything you want without having it installed (as long as its dependencies are installed) :

$ apt-cache depends build-essential
build-essential
|Dépend: libc6-dev
Dépend: <libc-dev>
libc6-dev
Dépend: gcc
Dépend: g++
Dépend: make
Dépend: dpkg-dev

steevk
November 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I guess that's my lack of knowledge speaking. Whenever I had tried to just 'sudo apt-get install gcc' it wouldn't do it, and I was pointed towards build-essential.

joemaller
December 11th, 2006, 05:21 AM
minor footnote which might trip up some fellow newbies. Only one instance of apt-get will run at a time. Ubuntu's Update Manager uses apt-get, I'd run updates and failed to close the window before trying to install the build-essential package. Because Update Manager had an instance open, trying to run apt-get returned these not-so-helpful errors:

E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

Once I realized I needed to close Update Manager before running apt-get, my installation went smoothly.

sheds
December 11th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Quick questions here!!!

apt-get install is asking me to put in my 7.10 gutsy cd. The thing is that i installed from a rewritable and now the cd is full of music. How can i tell the apt install command to use the regular download from the internet fashion rather than use the cd?

Thanks for the help.

ruibernardo
December 11th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Hi sheds,

click on the menu System > Administration > Software Sources. On the first tab, below, uncheck the CD-ROM. Enable the other repositories (main, restricted, universe and multiverse) if you don't have them active. Click the close button. You will be asked to update, do it.

Now the CD-ROM isn't on your sources.list file and all packages will be installed from the internet.

jespdj
December 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Select System / Administration / Software Sources. Uncheck the CDROM and click Close.

*edit* Oh, I see someone else already answered that...