PDA

View Full Version : How we can help to market Ubuntu

firenurse4
November 28th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Perhaps its time to put the power of the pen (or keyboard) to work for us. While distributing CD's is a very worthwile effort, we need to get people to pick them up and use them. My idea is to start a letter writing campaign highlighting the benefits and key features of Linux in general and Ubuntu specifically.

At some point in time we all made the decision to switch to linux and I am sure there was some compelling reason. Perhaps it was the price, freedom, or security that linux offers. Whatever the reason, if we can them into print, maybe we can convince some to give Ubuntu a whirl.

steven8
November 28th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I'm all for it, but who do we write to and not have it be called spam.

firenurse4
November 28th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Opps should have been more specific. I was thinking about letters to local newspapers.

steven8
November 28th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Ah, I see it. Like letters to the editor kind of thing? Or like classified ads?

Vorian
November 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
letters to the editor
:idea::idea::idea: Nice idea.

And we could write up a press release about the Ubuntu-Ohio team...

Vorian
December 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
*bump*

cstudent
December 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
These are just some ideas I had.

1) Go around to area schools, middle or high schools, with LiveCD's and give talks about Linux and Ubuntu, open source software, etc.

2) Teach a free adult education class at the area vocational school in the evening using LiveCD's and give some hands-on training to people interested in learning more about Linux and/or Ubuntu.

3) Accept donated computers and refurbish them. Install Ubuntu and configure a working system. Then give them away to elderly, underprivileged, schools or senior centers.

Of course it would be extra gooder if the local newspaper could do a write-up on these efforts too.

Just some thoughts.