PDA

View Full Version : Opera under Edgy

Cyraxzz
November 28th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Anyone else getting lag from it? Firefox 2.0 is quite stable for me.

finferflu
November 28th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I actually use Swiftfox 2.0, which is even better, and Opera only for compatibility issues: I can access some websites through Opera, but not through Firefox, I wonder how, since they are equally standards-compliant, as long as I know...

maniacmusician
November 28th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Nah, opera is more standards compliant than firefox is. But, on the flip side, it is proprietary, doesn't integrate as well with linux as FF, and doesn't have the same scope of extensions, despite having a prospering community.

addicted68098
November 28th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Actually Opera is much more standreds complinent.

Also I used it a little and it ran perfectly fan (other then a lack of polish)

GameManK
November 28th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Anyone else getting lag from it? Firefox 2.0 is quite stable for me.
I've actually been getting a little bit of lag with it on edgy sometimes. Still use it though and it hasn't bothered me enough to figure out why.

gmc
November 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I though I'd add a little to this thread.

Since the folks at Mozilla at taking their sweet time fixing the recently announced "Password Disclosure Bug", I switched to using Opera 9. I've tried it before but really couldn't get use to the interface. After using it for a week now, I really have to say that I'm *really* digging it.

I highly recommend Opera

G.

non-free
December 1st, 2006, 05:19 AM
I actually use Swiftfox 2.0, which is even better, and Opera only for compatibility issues: I can access some websites through Opera, but not through Firefox, I wonder how, since they are equally standards-compliant, as long as I know...

Yuck, Swiftfox is non-free. Why support software that takes away a freedom its parent gives you. The right to redistribute. Thats why its not in the repositories.

Sef
December 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
I find Opera is bit slow to start up, but once it is up, it works just fine.

finferflu
December 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Yuck, Swiftfox is non-free. Why support software that takes away a freedom its parent gives you. The right to redistribute. Thats why its not in the repositories.

Well, sometimes I get quite pragmatic, and if it works better, then I just use it (especially when my system gets deadly slow - at this point I think usability matters more than the right to redistribute something), and as it's been pointed out on another thread, the developer gives the source code freely to anyone who wants it, and I think it's also fear enough.

And by the way, I found Flock to be much faster and less resource-hungry than both Firefox and Swiftfox, the only problem being that it's based on Firefox 1.5 and not all the FF extensions work.

My two €cents.

non-free
December 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well, sometimes I get quite pragmatic, and if it works better, then I just use it (especially when my system gets deadly slow - at this point I think usability matters more than the right to redistribute something), and as it's been pointed out on another thread, the developer gives the source code freely to anyone who wants it, and I think it's also fear enough.

And by the way, I found Flock to be much faster and less resource-hungry than both Firefox and Swiftfox, the only problem being that it's based on Firefox 1.5 and not all the FF extensions work.

My two €cents.

There is only a less than one second speed difference (http://www.apcstart.com/node/3097) between Swiftfox and Firefox,it isn't worth it.

chaosgeisterchen
December 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM
I think that Konqueror is the most standards-compliant browser around, am I right?

patrick295767
December 1st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Opera 9 can do torretns too