PDA

View Full Version : Managing (pre-migration) Expectations?

Brunellus
November 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Well, we're well into Edgy and, just as I predicted, the new release generated its own share of disgruntled new users--mostly migrants from other operating systems. Thanks to the tireless efforts of my forum moderator comrades, most of the legitimate support questions seem to be separated from the gratuitous griping.

But this has got me thinking: most of the griping seems to arise from users' frankly unrealistic expectations of what will happen when they migrate to Ubuntu. I don't know what people expect when they move to a new operating system (especially on the same hardware), but my expectations are usually very very modest. I tend to move forward on the assumption that *nothing* will work, but then, I'm a born pessimist (as regular readers here and lurkers on #ubuntuforums will have figured out already).

So my question: What can we, the user community, do to manage migrators' expectations better?

I have toyed with the idea of a wiki page that divides various functions into a number of categories: "Works--no problems," "Should work, with few exceptions" "Can work with some effort" "Only works with considerable effort" and finally "Doesn't work. Don't bother."

That way, migrators who are duly diligent in their research (admittedly a small minority) can see if Ubuntu is really right for them.

qalimas
November 27th, 2006, 09:49 PM
"Works--no problems"

Only to have them gripe it won't work on the forum when it was promised to? They might be typing their password wrong ;)

Brunellus
November 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
"Works--no problems"

Only to have them gripe it won't work on the forum when it was promised to? They might be typing their password wrong ;)
well, yes. but there's little that can help a user like that other than...err...help.

Any other thoughts...anyone?