PDA

View Full Version : Religious Discrimination :P

Kittie Rose
November 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I noticed that Ubuntu's spellchecker forces me to type "Christian" "Islam" and "Jewish", but not "Pagan", "Atheist", "Agnostic"...

and what is really annoying is that it doesn't even RECOGNISE Wicca. Look, it's underlining it right now! You can level all claims of it being a "kiddie religion" but it's still every bit as valid as the others...

Please fix this for the next version :P

Also, the word PenOSMaster is not recognised, despite it being a very popular gnome skin.

Circus-Killer
November 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM
this isn't really an ubuntu issue, rather than the dictionary software. by default the dictionary software doesn't recognize the word ubuntu. try it, type "ubuntu". red line.

but, it's really easy to update your dictionary with the desired word. just right-click the underlined word, and click "add to dictionary".

GStubbs43
November 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM
What spellchecker are you talking about? The OpenOffice one or the Firefox one or...

Neither of these are Ubuntu's fault though.

Brunellus
November 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't read this post properly. I was too busy pronouncing anathema on monophysite heretics.

sloggerkhan
November 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I think recognizing "PenOSMaster" would be a little ridiculous. If you type it a lot and red lines annoy you, add it to your user dictionary.

I agree Wicca ought to be added to the dictionary. But I'm not so sure pagan should be automatically capitalized, as it is mostly used as an adjective in historical context to refer simultaneously to many ancient religious, most now dead. I think it's often misused by Earth-worshipers and Neo-druidic types.

Kittie Rose
November 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
What is the dictionary software it uses? It appears to use the same for Firefox and GAIM...

And yeah, not recognising Ubuntu is funny :P

IYY
November 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Words like Pagan and Atheist can be capitalized, but can also be written in lower case, depending on the context. Same with Communism and Capitalism, and many other words. Christianity can only be spelled correctly with a capital C.

Of course, Wicca should be a word.

GStubbs43
November 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
What is the dictionary software it uses? It appears to use the same for Firefox and GAIM...

Firefox and GAIM use there own Dictionary.... It's the same on Windows... Nothing to do with Ubuntu. :D

justin whitaker
November 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM

This whole thing is Vbulletin...the spellchecker would be a plugin, I guess.

I could be wrong. That's what it looks like to me.

bonzodog
November 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
No, it's the FF 2.0 Dictionary. I am using Zenwalk and it does it on here too. just right click on the red line and 'add to dictionary'. Easiest way.