PDA

View Full Version : Locking "Linux isn't ready for the desktop"

bodhi.zazen
November 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I check this thread every so often, and I note more flames than I usually like on these forums. Please keep the flames off-forums.

Yawn....

I say "lock it". Nothing productive here. Just a user with a hardware problem shifting blame....

We all recognize it for what it is...

aysiu
November 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
There's not really a point to locking "Linux isn't ready for the desktop" threads. You lock one, another one springs up, and because that thread is its own thread and not attached to the thousands of posts that preceded it, the person posting will think she's original and will have that much more energy go into the thread (from herself and from others responding to her).

It's much better to keep it all in one place: easy to find and--more importantly--easy to avoid.

If people get out of line, we can move their posts to the Backyard and/or Jail.

John E
November 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
You cannot have progress without debate - but equally, you cannot have debate without compromise.

I'll be moving on from Ubuntu but as a word of caution, I would only urge that if people cannot offer their help to someone with a problem, they should either stay quiet or stay out of the thread. It's never a successful strategy to criticise the person seeking the help - or to suggest that they lower their expectations and/or they stop messing with things they don't understand etc, etc. Strategies such as these are doomed to result in conflict.... :(

bodhi.zazen
November 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
aysiu: I see you point, thank you for your time...

Your thoughts were the most informative thing on the thread !

aysiu
November 27th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I'm glad you see it my way, of course. I do agree with your general sentiment, though--such discussions are rarely productive.

bodhi.zazen
November 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Also interesting. I had no idea you moved individual posts to the jail :p

I find these discussions somewhat productive if the OP is open to a solution.

I also agree with John E about the potential for progress via discussion, but I saw no progress in the previous thread....

aysiu
November 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I actually haven't moved any posts to the Jail from that thread recently, but it can be done if things get out of hand.

bodhi.zazen
November 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'll be moving on from Ubuntu but as a word of caution, I would only urge that if people cannot offer their help to someone with a problem, they should either stay quiet or stay out of the thread.

But we can and do solve problems. I see problems solved on a daily, no hourly basis ....

See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1814282&postcount=22)

What was the OP you ask:
I have installed ubuntu as a second OS on a samsung V20

I am using an external monitor (Dell D1526TX-HS) as the samsung display is dead. The samsung has an Intel 845GL 64mb onboard video card.

When in Windows the dispay works fine, but when I am in ubuntu, the display refuses to use the whole of the screen, staying centre of the screen at roughly half size

can anyone help? i have tried a lot of different things out, from varius forums, but none have come to fruition of yet

thank you ](*,)

A resolution problem on the order of magnitude you were having.

Solved via the CLI (as opposed to a GUI) I might add....

It's never a successful strategy to criticise the person seeking the help - or to suggest that they lower their expectations and/or they stop messing with things they don't understand etc, etc. Strategies such as these are doomed to result in conflict.... :(

I think part of the problem you had was in your method of communication. You do not seem to strike most as someone in need of help and, judging from the original thread, have a knack for evoking an emotional response, both for and against your position.

While it certainly makes for an interesting "discussion" I am not so sure it was the best method to solve your problem.

justin whitaker
November 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I have no opposition to locking threads...when everything devolves into name calling and OS slagging, well, the CoC is pretty clear on that.

But what I would suggest is that if someone is actively policing a thread, then locking it is probably counterproductive. My thought is that someone new comes in, reads it, sees one of aysiu's (or another forum regular's) cogent responses, and decides for themselves if Ubuntu is right for them.

Measured helpful responses are a strong selling point.

John E
November 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
But we can and do solve problems. I see problems solved on a daily, no hourly basis ....

I know you do. Lots of people here have been enormously nelpful to me and I've got nothing but praise and admiration for them.

Unfortunately - on this occasion - some posts of mine (that were initially on the more technical boards) got merged into the Desktop Readiness thread - where I immediately started getting flak for 'making comparisons with Windows' and 'having too high expectations' and 'meddling with things I didn't understand' etc. This kind of 'assistance' is patronising, provocative and unhelpful - which is why I'm saying that when people are unable to help with a particular problem, the best strategy is to stay out of the discussion and help somebody else.

bodhi.zazen
November 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I know you do. Lots of people here have been enormously nelpful to me and I've got nothing but praise and admiration for them.

Unfortunately - on this occasion - some posts of mine (that were initially on the more technical boards) got merged into the Desktop Readiness thread - where I immediately started getting flak for 'making comparisons with Windows' and 'having too high expectations' and 'tinkering with things I didn't understand' etc. This kind of 'assistance' is patronising, provocative and unhelpful - which is why I'm saying that if people are unable to help with a particular problem, the best strategy is to keep out of the discussion & go and help somebody else.

LOL :lol: I have been guilty of that. Worse, I have given what has turned out to be bad advice :redface: But, on the flip side that is part of what gives the Ubuntu forums so much color :p

And thank you for your time and the discussion. ;)

I use dual monitors and would be willing to assist you if I can... Although I am no expert, I have been able to get a few users going with dual monitors.

I must apologize though as I have not read through the 3572 replies to your thread :mrgreen:

Feel free to either restate the problem or PM me. If you would be so kind as to include information such as videocard, monior, and a current copy of your xorg.conf (as an attachment if you please). \\:D/

If it would be of assistance to you I have attached a copy of my xorg.conf. It is both a mess and commented at the same time :rolleyes:

frodon
November 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
BTW, the easiest way for an nvidia user to set a dual monitor is to use the latest version of the drivers (9629) :
http://i10.tinypic.com/2zz729e.png

Amazing, isn't it !

bodhi.zazen
November 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM
{puts tongue back in mouth} ....

Sure makes my xorg.conf on vim look ugly !