PDA

View Full Version : Any idea why GAIM might be doing this...?

Kittie Rose
November 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Everytime I post a link in MSN "Message could not be sent because a connection error occurred".

You cannot imagine how frustrating this is.

Can someone recommend some more stable Linux multi-clients...? I always had problems with GAIM in windows too.

PatrickMay16
November 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I dunno if it's any better, but you could try kopete.

scoon
November 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hey there,

I am running gaim and am having no problems w/ msn whatsoever. Can you try running gaim from a terminal and see if there is any messages about msn sending problems. Otherwise, I'd bet that there is *not* a problem with gaim but a problem with the msn chat servers.

-scoon

ComplexNumber
November 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
there isn't a better multi protocol client than gaim - its the best on linux there is.
btw i wouldn't hold your hopes for kopete if i were you. gaim is more feature rich and considerably more stable, reportedly.

qalimas
November 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
there isn't a better multi protocol client than gaim - its the best on linux there is.
btw i wouldn't hold your hopes for kopete if i were you. gaim is more feature rich and considerably more stable, reportedly.

I like both GAIM and Kopete. I've honestly never had a problem with either (exception: GAIM on Windows was horrid with file transfers -- I don't blame GAIM). I use Kopete, because I use KDE, but both are wonderful clients =)

I'd do as scoon suggested ;)

ComplexNumber
November 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
there is always problems with the msn protocol, so i doubt that it would surprise anyone.

Orunitia
November 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Everyone I talk to has problems with msn not sending messages, while using gaim AND the official msn client, so switching to kopete or something would do you no good.

thomashauk
November 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM
There always aMSN if you just want MSN support but its probably network or microsoft.

I gereally find MSN very tetchy, almost as much as IRC...

Brunellus
November 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
There always aMSN if you just want MSN support but its probably network or microsoft.

I gereally find MSN very tetchy, almost as much as IRC...
What's the problem with IRC?

shining
November 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/protocol.php#msn

MSN
The MSN protocol was originally published by Microsoft as an IETF draft. It has since been "embraced and extended" to the point that it had to be reverse engineered to work. Some documentation on this effort is available here.

I hope everyone will keep loving Microsoft and their products for a long time, because it sure is a lot of fun :)

bonzodog
November 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
The fact that you mention you had problems in windows as well points to your ISP. The windows Gaim and Linux gaim are two very different programs now. It sounds like your ISP is maybe blocking something?

blue_screen0x0
April 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I get the same error quite frequently. It is very frusturating. As many in this thread have said, it doesn't seem to be a problem with GAIM itself.

Although the fact that there are people who never experience this issue using MSN on GAIM suggests it's not a msn server problem. Would i be right in making this assumption? love to get down to the bottom of this problem. Any suggestions on how to diagnose?

beefcurry
April 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like Im not alone. I get this from time to time. And it is innoying. Never found a way to fix it, just had to live with it.

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Are the people who are having problems running Gaim 2 beta 6?

daynah
April 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I like Kopete better, folks.

beefcurry
April 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I've been having it with nearly all Gaims :)

blue_screen0x0
April 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I'm using 2.0.0beta3.1

Bezmotivnik
April 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Gaim is a bug-ridden POS.

I have it on several machines and it's always doing something buggy: Maximize the buddy list screen and you can never reduce its size again...individual buddy info window comes up and won't go away, staying on top for some indefinite, lengthy period before mysteriously closing...on and on. It's just junk.