PDA

View Full Version : Listen to sound from microphone connected to remote computer through ssh?

PatrickMay16
November 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Hey guys.

I have two computers connected by network. I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a microphone to one of them, and listen to what the microphone is picking up on the other computer.

I've been playing around with setting up my webcam up on my other computer, and watching through it while in another room. So I thought it'd be pretty cool to have sound with this.

Jussi Kukkonen
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
ESD can do remote sounds:

On the local machine start ESD like this:

esd -tcp -public
SSH into the remote machine and set the esd speaker:

export ESPEAKER=192.168.22.77

Then you'll just have to get the mic sounds to ESD (can't help with that, sorry).

DoctorMO
November 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
you'll require compression too, wav can be a bit big if you have video going too.

PatrickMay16
November 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I found a way to do it, though it's a bit of an odd way.

I shared my /dev/ with samba, then mounted it using smbfs on the remote machine and did "cat /dev/dsp > dsp". It seems to work alright!

adam.tropics
November 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hey guys.

I have two computers connected by network. I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a microphone to one of them, and listen to what the microphone is picking up on the other computer.

I've been playing around with setting up my webcam up on my other computer, and watching through it while in another room. So I thought it'd be pretty cool to have sound with this.

So this is for either

a) fun,
b) security or
c) you need arresting? lol

PatrickMay16
November 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
So this is for either

a) fun,
b) security or
c) you need arresting? lol

Hah, just a bit of fun.

carsonrose
August 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Just install twinkle or ekiga on both machines, set the one you want to monitor to auto answer........... done deal. Works like a charm.

;)

CharlesA
August 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
4 year old thread. O_o

FuturePilot
August 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
4 year old thread. O_o

:shock:

carsonrose
August 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM
What can I say :)

cariboo
August 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You could have started a new thread. This one is Closed.