PDA

View Full Version : Software subforum

olejorgen
November 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Suggestion:
Add a subforum for discussing software.

Rationale:
I think this is a distinct subject from the other subforums. Say I want to discuss how to get the most complete gnome desktop, or I want to find a tool to search the howtos, or I want to find out what latex editor people think is best. Currently I can't find a good place to ask/discuss.

Usually, of course, it's quite easy to find the software you're seeking through apt or a search engine, but sometimes it's not that easy, or it exists dozen of alternatives.

frodon
November 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I think that the "ubuntu cafe" forum is the suitable place for such discussions, it's the place for general discussions (technical or not).

olejorgen
November 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Well, I looked there, and it seems to me that too much is going on there.
All posts on the first page are less than 5 hours old, so I really think that forum is used up. It's not very obvious to discuss software there either.

I think, especially on a huge board like this, that it's important to have good categories.

(But thanks for the temporally suggestion :))

PriceChild
November 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I think we've got good categories... Personally I'd put my question in the one of the main support categories.

They may only last a matter of hours on the front page without a reply before they die, but remember that there are 4000 people online right now, and someone will want to give a reply.

po0f
November 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM
There are already forums for software. Got a problem with GNOME? Post in Desktop Environments. Need a media player? Stop by Multimedia & Video.

I think the real problem is people not knowing (or caring) what forum a question belongs in, and so posts to ABT or General Help.

PriceChild
November 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
There are already forums for software. Got a problem with GNOME? Post in Desktop Environments. Need a media player? Stop by Multimedia & Video.

I think the real problem is people not knowing (or caring) what forum a question belongs in, and so posts to ABT or General Help.+1

olejorgen
February 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

I think the real problem is people not knowing (or caring) what forum a question belongs in, and so posts to ABT or General Help.
Sorry for bumping this thread :)

The problem with the "Main Support Categories" is that they're overflowed with support questions (obviously). What I'm after is discussion about software, not help with a particular problem.

Examples:

software comparison threads (text editors, browser wars, etc)
hints/tips threads (eg. I just found out something cool in gimp)
"software that does this?" threads

Education & Science
A place to discuss scientific and mathematics software for Ubuntu or linux in general. Questions and comments from all academic and research disciplines are welcome.
I want this, but not restricted. You also have gaming/leisure and art/design, but these does not cover all software types.

Announcing easystroke, a gesture recognition app ("http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=837032) might fit fairly nice in the Community cafe, but my chances of discovering that thread is fairly low because it get's buried by five favorite animals? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1060578)

I agree that it's a big problem that people don't post in the appropiate categories though.

bapoumba
February 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
The forums tree and architecture gets discussed from time to time. It is not easy to satisfy everyone . Since you have posted from the first time, tags and prefixes have been implemented. Have you tried to search or post including them ?

For now, specific softwares are discussed in related subforums when support is needed or Cafe for general discussions. If there was a section for discussing software, I am not sure it would be more efficient, all would get mixed up, from network packages to desktop stuff.

I do not know if others do as I do, but some sections i have no knowledge about, I rarely go (unless there is some moderation to do, and that is a different approach). So you will get better feedback posting in related areas, where users with some experience hang out.

slavik
February 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
speaking of which ... many times, text editors and various software related to programming is discussed in the PT forum. just an fyi

olejorgen
February 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The forums tree and architecture gets discussed from time to time. It is not easy to satisfy everyone . Since you have posted from the first time, tags and prefixes have been implemented. Have you tried to search or post including them ?

Yes, a good categorization is absolutly not easy to define.

The tags could help(*), but they're not used enough and consistently, and it's not possible to save a tag search. The prefix helps little in this case. (Btw, if a prefix is required, it should default to [other]? or is it intential to force people choosing something appropiate)

(*) eg. a "not support thread" tag

For now, specific softwares are discussed in related subforums when support is needed or Cafe for general discussions. If there was a section for discussing software, I am not sure it would be more efficient, all would get mixed up, from network packages to desktop stuff.

I think that's better than beeing mixed up with an infitive stream of support posts or animal posts.

I do not know if others do as I do, but some sections i have no knowledge about, I rarely go (unless there is some moderation to do, and that is a different approach). So you will get better feedback posting in related areas, where users with some experience hang out.
That's a valid point.

Well, I feel like I've explained my self. If people don't agree, it's not much I can do I guess :) Thanks for listening

bapoumba
February 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
You're welcome :)
We do try to listen. Some implementations or organization improvements have been made after being suggested by users. I just stated my point of view. I guess you understood I did not see much usability improvements with a "software discussion" area. If there are other opinions they are welcome, I am not strongly pushing ;)