PDA

View Full Version : What country are you from? | Say something about your country

Pages : [1] 2 3

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
So this is a thread about saying something about the county where you live. Say whether you like it or not etc...

I'm currently too lazy to say soething about Serbia, so you'll have to wait a bit (untill my lazyness stops).

nandasunu
November 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
ahem!! this is from the brainwashing at school (should be sung v loudly with a pipe organ):

:-({|= :-\"

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of Desire;
Bring me my Spear; O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant Land.

-- William Blake

(brings a tear to my eye :cry:)

spinflick
November 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

William Shakespear...Henry V Act 3 Scene 1

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hmmmm...my country is very cold in the morning and becomes quite hot in the afternoon(happens to every country doesn't it?). It also has a lot of nature,I can go on safari whenever I want!It is alright,but I would rather live in a country with faster internet.

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Ahhh, Kenya, cuntry of eternal spring

nandasunu
November 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm...my country is very cold in the morning and becomes quite hot in the afternoon(happens to every country doesn't it?). It also has a lot of nature,I can go on safari whenever I want!It is alright,but I would rather live in a country with faster internet.

hopefully with the advance of global warming we will get to experience this phenomena in the UK in the near future... for now cold & damp all day will have to do.

matthew
November 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

William Shakespeare...Henry V Act 3 Scene 1Excellent play--probably my favorite of Shakespeare's works. I love the St. Crispin's Day speech.

I'm an American so I could choose The Declaration of Independance, the U.S. Constitution, Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, John Kennedy's "Ask Not" speech, M.L. King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech, or The Simpsons. ;)

Since I'm currently living in Morocco I'll mention that this, "The Land of the Setting Sun" in Arabic, was the first nation in the whole world to recognize American independance in 1776 and is the country with which the U.S.A. has officially had diplomatic relations the longest.

cunawarit
November 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
I live in the United Kingdom:

* I love living here.
* Lots of friends all over the south coast.
* Career opportunities on IT are AWESOME!
* Its full of history and picturesque sites.
* Most things are tiny, houses, cars, roads, shops, buildings, malls, etc... All tiny...

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Why tiny??? i thought everything is big like in US.

Rhubarb
November 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
I'm not very patriotic, ... it's ok here.

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM

lol.
He was talking about the UK.
England!
The USA is big, I have to agree. Big cars, big buildings(been to New York?), big money(Bill Gates and Oprah), and big stars(movie stars).

Minyaliel
November 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Norway:

-either too cold or too hot
-tiny
-pretty liberal (which is a plus in my opinion)
-I hate snow. Seriously. *looks miserably out of the window to gaze on a blindingly white landscape*
-Has great culture, but no night life

I'm moving as soon as possible... I love the country, but only in spring/ summer...

Bartender
November 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
I live on the rainy west side of Washington State, USA, a country that's gone into the ditch under the idiot child King George W. Mid-term elections are coming up in a coupla days. The best I can hope for is that W's plans for the next 2 years will be checked by the opposition party.
I can't go on safari, but still stuck w/ dial-up internet. How fair is that?

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Ahhh, Kenya, cuntry of eternal spring

Eternal spring...great choice of words.
It gets very boring without snow.
Just wait till you live for 8+ years without snow,you will**actually** miss it.
Not much variety in weather here.
But those don't compare to the slow internet connection we have here ](*,)

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
lol.
He was talking about the UK.
England!
The USA is big, I have to agree. Big cars, big buildings(been to New York?), big money(Bill Gates and Oprah), and big stars(movie stars).

I know that he was talking about England!!!

I think the smallest things are in Japan. There is no space for all buildings, etc, so they buil underground structures, and/or high buildings, with small floors.

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I know that he was talking about England!!!

I think the smallest things are in Japan. There is no space for all buildings, etc, so they buil underground structures, and/or high buildings, with small floors.

](*,) My mistake!
In Japan things are small, they have tennis courts on the top of skyscrapers due to the space limits.Just think about hitting your tennis ball and it falling down hundreds of meters probably hurting someone.

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ahaaaaaaa, so the SonyEricsson K750 commercial was filmed in Japan!!!

cunawarit
November 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM

Tiny is perhaps an exaggeration. But, in particular houses, cars, roads, and malls are not as big here on average as they are in many other countries.

KhaaL
November 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Me, I live in Sweden. Pretty good country, but has it's disadvantages (no job opportunities, cold weather, cold people).

Originally I'm from the middle east, and it's a not so good region but has it's advantages (Wonderful music & bellydancing! delicious food, full of intresting history).

Still I almost kissed the ground when I came back from Syria this summer.

Norway:

Wanna switch places with me? :p

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Now something about Serbia:

A small country that is getting smaller and smaller (politics, wars, G. Bush). Climate is stupid, in these last years in summer the highest temperature was 40 Celsius degrees, and winter -20 Celsius degrees, cause of the ozon hole and global warming. People are OK. Buildings, well everything is centralised in Belgrade so that is the only well built city in Serbia.

puppy
November 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
I live in a country that is mostly undeveloped - 97% of the landmass of my country is given over to farms, forests, grassland and so on... but pretty as that countryside is I can't really stand the boredom :D So I live in a city that has a population average of over 4,500 people per square mile, all virtually living on top of each other... I live in London, England ;)

dbott67
November 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
It's always fresh at Tim Hortons (http://www.timhortons.com/).

How much does your country love coffee? (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1162335012346)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Horton

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Now something about Serbia:

A small country that is getting smaller and smaller (politics, wars, G. Bush). Climate is stupid, in these last years in summer the highest temperature was 40 Celsius degrees, and winter -20 Celsius degrees, cause of the ozon hole and global warming. People are OK. Buildings, well everything is centralised in Belgrade so that is the only well built city in Serbia.

Your country sounds quite "safe"!
At least you don't need security guards!
8) And Christmas is real for you, with the snow and all.

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
I live in a country that is mostly undeveloped - 97% of the landmass of my country is given over to farms, forests, grassland and so on... but pretty as that countryside is I can't really stand the boredom :D So I live in a city that has a population average of over 4,500 people per square mile, all virtually living on top of each other... I live in London, England ;)
I didn't know all of that!
But to tell you the truth, London seems to be the center of the world, everyone knows about that city! I did hear that it was quite expensive:-k
But one day I will visit that city :mrgreen:

midwinter
November 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
I live in Australia, it's a nice enough place.. I like the weather, lots of great scenery, eating out is pretty cheap and land prices can be decent (compared to what i'm used to). I'm from England though, there's plenty of things I miss and some things I dislike about Australia so i'll likely move on to somewhere else within the next few years.

OffHand
November 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm from Amsterdam... we are good at smoking spliffs :twisted:

Seq
November 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM

How much does your country love coffee? (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1162335012346)

Coffee is a necessity during both seasons: Winter, and Road-Construction.

- London, Ontario, Canada

Gargamella
November 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
I live in the central Italy and i like the old architecture of small towns,tipical foods and i play volleyball and piano.

puppy
November 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Oh yes, London is stupidly expensive in some ways - I feel like a millionaire when I go to other parts of thr country sometimes because everything is cheaper :D Restaurants, hotels, cinemas, pubs etc are often twice as expensive as equivalents in other cities across the country, and our transport system (although it is very efficient and takes you almost everywhere quickly) is VERY expensive indeed - my yearly travel ticket costs over £1000GBP and I only live 5 miles from the centre of the city!

wieman01
November 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Live in Hong Kong... Native German... Germany? Kafkaesque! As sad as it sounds.

_simon_
November 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
England -

1. Stupid weather, the one morning it was 9C, the next morning it was 0C.

2. Crappy government with crappy policies intent on making driving too expensive (anyone seen the new green tax proposals?!)

3. Despite paying my £95 odd every 6 months on road tax, the roads are appalling.

4. TV license! What the hell is that about? I don't even watch the bloody BBC.

Nothing much I like here, if I could afford to I'd move abroad somewhere.

wieman01
November 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
England -

1. Stupid weather, the one morning it was 9C, the next morning it was 0C.

2. Crappy government with crappy policies intent on making driving too expensive (anyone seen the new green tax proposals?!)

3. Despite paying my £95 odd every 6 months on road tax, the roads are appalling.

4. TV license! What the hell is that about? I don't even watch the bloody BBC.

Nothing much I like here, if I could afford to I'd move abroad somewhere.
F.I.L.T.H. - Failed In London, Try Hongkong. ;-)

hizaguchi
November 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm from the US. We have the most widely accepted make-believe democracy on the planet. :-#

christhemonkey
November 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
England.

Its cold atm.

End of. :D

mahy
November 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Slovakia. (Central Europe, twice the size of New Hampshire) Scorching summers, freezing winters: it's snowing and -3 Celsius here right now and that's just early November! (I know it's nothing for those from Canada or Scandinavia, but the Kenyan guy doesn't know what he's talking about when he says "cold in the morning".) What else? Peaceful people, pretty girls, stupid politicians. Second in Europe in terms of forestation (after Finland). Firefox usage share: 40% +

UchihanoKonoha
November 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I am an American, I like the country for what it is but i do not like the current government. I see it as quite corrupt and i would rather live in Europe somewhere, such as:Germany, England, Or Ireland. some place like that, I simply do not wanna be here anymore.

bonzodog
November 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm a British ex-pat living in Galway, Ireland, and would never return to the UK.
I love Ireland, especially the west, it's a stunningly beautiful place, with mountains where they touch the sea. The people here are friendly enough, but that sadly is in fast decline.
The Irish (Gaelic) language is growing in usage here, I think it's a wonderful language, and, indeed, lived in the Galway Gaeltacht for a long time, and now know about 40 words of it.
There is no Broadband as such out there at the moment though, so I moved back to the city suburbs - I've been told that proves my geekiness, moving house JUST so I could have broadband Internet Access.
Ireland is an expensive place to live now, but I find that financially I am much better off than I ever was in the UK. Wages here more than meet the cost of living, especially if you don't really drink, like me. If you do, you can easily find yourself losing 50 Euros or more in an average night.
The politicians are still very corrupt here, it still seems that you can planning permission to build on Green Belt land just by paying the right person enough money.
Ireland is indeed a good place to live, and we are settled here now. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a change in life.
Just one thing though - don't expect excellent weather, it's a lot like britains, but the west gets more warm weather as it mostly sits in the Gulf Stream.

Lord Illidan
November 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Ah, Malta... the small rock in the middle of the Med, filled with valiant men and v. hot women....need I say more?

Reshin
November 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Finland.

Lex Karpela (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_karpela)

zvezdogled
November 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
My country (just excepted in EU):
almoust 2 million people,
57% covered with forest,
very beautifull scenery,
very small but we have a bit of everything (to the north Alps, west the Adriatic see, in the middle and east is karst (huge caves that you may visit), and to the south are lowlands.)
So the climate is great in winter we ski in moutains, just two hours by car from moutains is the see side... (everything is so close. from Ljubljana - the capital; nothing is mor then 2.5hour drive away).
Ljubljana - London 40EUR and 1h with a airplane.
We have only one international airport :-k
I could write pages.

I am glad living here. i mean i live in peace full countryside 10km from the center of Ljubljana (20mintes by bus) :D where the nightlife is great and quite cheep (1liter beer in the bar is about from 1 to 2 EUR).

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Merkator... Yummy... I bought many things here in Belgrade Merkator.

Now it started to snow in here. Bloody S**T!!! And I was hoping that snowing will start tomorrow!!!

zvezdogled
November 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
oh and people tend to mix slovenia and slovakia.
These are two different countries!!!

For the confusion to be greater we have similar flags:
slovakiahttp://www.unc.edu/depts/seelrc/slovakia_flag.gif
sloveniahttp://www.ultimateflags.com/int/images/slovenia.gif

v8YKxgHe
November 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
England,

Cold - Very cold...nono, extremely cold.
Chavs - little 10-15 year olds being complete idiots thinking they own the place.
Other than that a great place!

sktfeelsdapper
November 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
*Ducks quickly

I'd rather be in Canada then the US.

mahy
November 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
For the confusion to be greater we have similar flags:

Cool, when i was in Slovenia in summer, i saw a tourist brochure in English explaining the differences between Slovenia, Slovakia and Slavonia. :-D Does Slavonia have any flag?

P.S. If you outsiders happen to wonder why are these names so similar, i'll tell you they all originate from Old Slavic and mean essentially the same: The Land of the Slavs.

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Where is Slavonia???

mahy
November 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Where is Slavonia???

Hey! It's just next to your country, in Croatia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavonia

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Ahaaaa, it-s a Croatian region, a part of Srem (in Vojvodina)...

songo
November 3rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
i'm from cape verde. 10 paradisiacal islands in the african west coast. nice weather, about 360 summer days per year, nice people, we have a word just for this niceness - morabeza, nice food. but we are a poor country (poor+nice=no piracy=linux heeheh) whith about 60% of incomes depending on tourism. so make us a visit. we have the particularity to be the first place in the world and history where white caucasians (europeans) mixed with black africans and made creoles that spread to latin america (brazil mostly).
ah... music is everywhere there. all kind.

TeeAhr1
November 3rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
* I know this war is effed up.
* As is the way we treat gays and brown people.
* I can't afford health insurance.
* There are way to many advertisements.
* We're the richest country in the world, but we can't seem to keep everybody fed, and I think we really ought to be ashamed.

* But at the end of the day, I still believe in the America my second grade teacher told me about. A place big enough for all kinds of people, a place where any kid can grow up to be President, a country that tries to help when it can, and when it must. I believe in "certain inalienable rights," I believe in "We The People." I believe in all the things this country was supposed to stand for. I'm not naive enough to believe we live in that place. But maybe we could, if enough of us want it bad enough.

It's okay to like America, I swear. That's what I have to say about my country.

Koori23
November 3rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
* I know this war is effed up.
* As is the way we treat gays and brown people.
* I can't afford health insurance.
* There are way to many advertisements.
* We're the richest country in the world, but we can't seem to keep everybody fed, and I think we really ought to be ashamed.

* But at the end of the day, I still believe in the America my second grade teacher told me about. A place big enough for all kinds of people, a place where any kid can grow up to be President, a country that tries to help when it can, and when it must. I believe in "certain inalienable rights," I believe in "We The People." I believe in all the things this country was supposed to stand for. I'm not naive enough to believe we live in that place. But maybe we could, if enough of us want it bad enough.

It's okay to like America, I swear. That's what I have to say about my country.

I agree with this person wholeheartedly. I'd also like to add that VERY FEW people agree with the war in Iraq. We are an aggressive bunch, both here and abroad. Like or hate it, it's true. The country that built the Internet but can't figure out how provide health care in an affordable fashion. The country that can design some seriously amazing technology but can't get it's head around the fact that gay people live here.. Ah yes.. I love the USA dearly.. It just doesn't make sense most of the time.

ice60
November 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i live in London, England. if the tiny bit of water between France and England didn't exist (it's just 21 miles and is called the English Channel) the country's history would be very, very different.

the English Channel has stopped many powerful armies dead in their tracks. the last sucessful invasion was in 1066.

i can't remember, but i think the spainish had some unfavourable wind (lol) when they once tried to invade and sailed in the wrong direction lol

jordilin
November 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I live in Catalonia (Barcelona is the capital), north-east of Spain. Now, Spain has recognized Catalonia as a nation. We speak our own language (diferent from Spanish) which is Catalan. Catalonia is great, with great gastronomy and weather. The main problem is that (as in all Spain) there aren't plenty of opportunities in the IT field.

darkghost
November 4th, 2006, 01:03 AM
No one from Italy yet ?

So...

I love my country for it's history, for the art we produceed and still produce in some sort...
On the contrary I hate the government, may it be left or right they only want taxes and taxes, without doing many things for common people...

Oh...and for now weather is stupid, very stupid. i really think they've messed up too much with climate...

loell
November 4th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Philippines
warm country , warm people :mrgreen:

heliumcyanide
November 4th, 2006, 04:49 AM
U.S.A.

Western NY, The Buffalo Sabres.:)

dbott67
November 4th, 2006, 05:00 AM
The Buffalo Sabres.:)

As a life-long Leaf fan it greatly pains me to say this: the Sabres look awesome so far this year (I think they may be drinking from sweet Stanley's cup this spring). Let's just hope they forget the directions to the arena on Saturday night --- maybe the Leafs will stand a chance! :)

-Dave

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Australia:

Pros:
Great people
Great climate (most of the time)
Plenty of open space (especially inland... 85% of people live on the coast)
Lots of untouched wilderness (though much less than was here pre-settlement)
We are one of the first countries to see the sunrise
We kick *** at sport :D
Beautiful Country :D

Cons:
We are currently in the worse drought for about 100 years
Summer temps can hit over 40 degrees (thats not THAT bad though... and im on the coast so i get a cooling seabreeze :D )
Winter temps can hit 0 at night (YES THATS COLD FOR ME!)
Our Prime Minister is Bush's lackey :(

Other:
(Im gonna correct the myth)
Sydney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney) is not the capital of Australia... Canberra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra) is! though Sydney is the largest city by a little bit over Melbourne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne)

Rating:
50/10 ;) :p

punkinside
November 4th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Venezuela:
PROS:

The Best Climate EVER 25C-30C year round. On a cold morning in january 1000m above sea level we have 19C.
Good, cheap beer!
Very beautiful women!
Beaches as far as the eye can see
Very nice and warm people
No speed limit, anywhere, ever

CONS:

Bad roads (natural speed limit)
Horrendous traffic, total anarchy, no traffic laws whatsoever.
At least 3 of the Top 10 worst politicians in history, the rest are in the Top 30.

I'm actually thinking of leaving the country as soon as I graduate (sooner if necessary :( ) for fear of our dear President turning us into another Cuba.

vayu
November 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I live in a facist state. On the 17th of October George Bush made it official when he signed a bill that allows "The President" (him or any successor) or "any designee of The President" to declare anyone (me, you, anybody) as an "enemy combatant" who can be denied legal representation, any right to petition a court for release (habeas corpus) and be held indefinitely and tortured in violation of the Geneva Conventions our government has signed.

It's been that way for a long time, but now it is official.

The people do nothing. Those maybe one third of the people here that have any kind of clue blame George Bush. That is as dangerous as it gets because he is not the problem. He is merely a puppet. He is literaly stupid. Our country is driven by multinationals. The oil industry has huge control, but so do all the Monsantos, Duponts, and countless others. Of the corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation has been the mantra here for a long time.

The difference between modern high tech facism and the antiquated versions of past is that the subliminal control is astounding. Key to that control is not only the most powerful technology driven propaganda machine in history, but also that the plunder and murder is kept offshore and out of sight. The scale of slavery, torture and murder is greater than Nazi Germany's or Mussolini's Italy. It's just spread all around the world. The people here are fed just enough bones to feel blessed yet scrambling for their existence so much that they can't do anything even if they have an inkling of what's going on.

Much of the landscape, the people, the creativity and awareness here is as beautiful as it gets anywhere yet we are infected with greed and ignorance fueled destruction and murder.

The irony is that the beauty and brightness is used to keep masses of people as willing cohorts. Growing up as a child of parents who escaped Nazi Germany I used to wonder how did it happen, why did the people let it happen? Now I know first hand.

I am blessed not having to witness the horror directly in front of me, but I know when a tree falls it makes a sound whether I'm there to hear it or not.

robotzu2
November 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM
My country is large and our language is totally different from English. Just guess, which country am I living in?8) 8)

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM
My country is large and our language is totally different from English. Just guess, which country am I living in?8) 8)
Russia

robotzu2
November 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wrong. Our language is totally different from English and Russian.;) ;) I think you have gotten it.

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
India or China?

xyz
November 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
India or China?

I second that one! But probably China...

robotzu2
November 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM
China. :KS

MedivhX
November 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cool!!! So much different countries with different people. I'd like to live in Australia.

xyz
November 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Carnaval -

If you are already familiar with Basel's famous carnival, Fasnacht, you may already know most of the information contained in this short guide. But if this is your first visit to our splendid event, which locals like to call the «most wonderful three days», we hope to give you some valuable tips about what to see.

Fasnacht is like one big family party for the whole of Basel, although guests are obviously more than welcome. It has to be said that our carnival, whose origins are deeply rooted in local tradition, does not give visitors much of an opportunity for active participation in the proceedings.

And there are bound to be many things you simply will not understand: our Basel dialect, the things we make fun of (usually local events and personalities), and our own special brand of humour with its strong irony. Even so, you are sure to be fascinated by the incredible party atmosphere, the vivid colours of the carnival costumes, the stirring tunes of the drummers and piccolo players, and the weird and wonderful «Guggen» music played by the brass bands.

Perhaps you will simply enjoy wandering around our city's lively streets, alleys, bars and restaurants, absorbing this unique mixture of celebration and melancholia, and the haunting enactment of mediaeval ritual: the dance of death (Totentanz) and the masquerade (Mummenschanz). The best way to enjoy things is simply to wander around the streets and go with the flow. And a final tip: don't take our humour too seriously!

Carnaval in the City of Basel-Switzerland (www.fasnachts-comite.ch)

mostwanted
November 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I live in Denmark, a state that Marx probably would've been proud of given he'd lived to see that capitalism and socialism could indeed be mixed successfully (note: I'm not a socialist or social democrat :p). The Danish system is an extensive welfare state where most of the population pay 60% taxes. The money is then redistributed to education (which is completely free - you're even paid a monthly wage if you receive education), hospitals (free), social security and other forms of monetary support.

#1 in income equality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

#6 in GDP per capita (PPP): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

3.9% unemployment rate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Denmark

Of course we have other problems like a slightly xenophobic population.

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Cool!!! So much different countries with different people. I'd like to live in Australia.
Cool, I'd like to visit Serbia one day :D

mrgnash
November 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM
'Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.' -Samuel Johnson

I'm into individuals, not nations so much. As long as a country is, or aspires to be, secular, democratic, liberal; has a good standard of living and sports a nice climate then I'm happy to live there. Australia doesn't score too badly on the above, compared to some countries.

nalmeth
November 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm from Canada, which, believe it or not, has population and landmass outside of southern ontario. Thats right, Canada streches all the way to Ottawa too! Boo leafs! Go Habs, and GO FLAMES! <-- they'll turn it around. You'll see.
Umm, I'm not overly proud of Tim Horton's coffee, I think if Tim were still with us he might not have sold out to Wendys... :(
I'm proud of living in the free-est country in North-America, the bitter cold in the early mornings, the sound of skates on cold hard ice, my majestic mountains (and the fresh powder they provide), and french canada.
Yes, people in the west do appreciate Quebec. :) Some do anyway.

dbott67
November 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm from Canada, which, believe it or not, has population and landmass outside of southern ontario. Thats right, Canada streches all the way to Ottawa too! Boo leafs! Go Habs, and GO FLAMES! <-- they'll turn it around. You'll see.
Umm, I'm not overly proud of Tim Horton's coffee, I think if Tim were still with us he might not have sold out to Wendys... :(
I'm proud of living in the free-est country in North-America, the bitter cold in the early mornings, the sound of skates on cold hard ice, my majestic mountains (and the fresh powder they provide), and french canada.
Yes, people in the west do appreciate Quebec. :) Some do anyway.

(at least you're not cheering for the Sens! :) )

Of course, I'm from the "banana belt" of Canada... way down south in the tropical climes of the Niagara Region, where oranges, bananas and pineapples are a-plenty. No snow here... just warm, sunny days all year round! :)

My wife an I visited Ottawa a few years ago and I must say that it's one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to (Victoria BC is also quite beautiful). It's been almost 30 years since I've been to Montreal & Quebec City (also very beautiful cities)... maybe we'll get a chance to head up there next summer.

Business aside, I still love a good cup of Timmy's!

nalmeth
November 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
(at least you're not cheering for the Sens! :smile: )
Haha, I don't know if people in Ottawa are even cheering for them this year. Kind of lost their scoring touch.

I hate to say it, but the leafs looks good so far. I'm just bitter because they beat the flames (stupid sundin and his fluke hat-trick...), and I know a couple hardcore leaf fans who just wail on the horn every chance they get.

Victoria is a spectacular city, and I love the culture of Montreal and Quebec. That, and french-canadian girls make me weak in the knees... YaowZA!

So add french-canadien ;) girls to the list, and now that I think of it, our CFL!!
I'm going to the west-semi final against the Riders this weekend, Calgary's going to stamp out those damn Rider fans!

Ahh, it's like we live in a world of our own up here.

justaguynpc
November 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Ahhhhhh, Timmies!
I am a transplant to "The-Great-White-North" from"The-Lower-48."

(Commonly referred to as "The-States.")

I love this country, will be initiating my permanent-residency status this winter. I hail from Muskoka these days.

Cheers

Ringil
November 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hmm, let's see. First the country I live in.

Thailand is, as you should know, in Asia. Most the time it is hot. It is either hot and dry, or hot and muggy. It cools down around Christmas though and that is nice. It's not a bad place and I kinda like it.

Next, where I'm from. New Zealand.

New Zealand, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others, is one of the most beautiful countrys in the world. It gets quite cold, especially in the south. It is very green, and pollution is quite low. It is the country I would choose to live in if I could (I can't 'cause I'm 14 and my parents live in Thailand, so I do to.)

ember
November 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Well - I live in Germany and it is a nice country, mostly with beautiful landscape and rich cultural life. Unfortunately it seems our current national intention is to make things as bad as we can.

So maybe I'll emigrate some day, maybe to Denmark, Sweden or just Switzerland.

sloggerkhan
November 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
So I'm from the american southwest, which really means New Mexico and Arizona. Texas tries to pretend it's southwest, but it's really southern.

Most of the big problems in America are because the south can't adapt and hasn't been able to since the Civil War. (American Civil War?) At least that's what I tend to think. I have relatives in the South... they send their kids to a private school. A couple of years ago they "celebrated" when they finally got a black kid enroll. You see, when desegregation was forced on the south, they took all the funding from public schools so white people could send their kids to private schools black people generally couldn't afford at the time (and probably would have been afraid to send their kid to).

Enough ranting about the south... it's humid anyhow.

I am Southwestern. And the southwest rocks. Of the 5 or so tolerable cities in America, 3 are in the southwest: Tucson, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque. I guess Tucson and Albuquerque don't look like too much... they are both really kinda sprawled and dusty, and, in my opinion, growing too fast outwards. I think they should limit the boundaries and grow upwards a bit, anasazi pueblo style.But they are still great places.

New Mexico is developing what I think is the only private spaceport in the world. We have the grand canyon (too touristy these days.), white sands, (a small sea of white sand dunes. It's kinda near the Trinity site, they shoot missile tests over it.) Outside of the 3 cities (Phoenix doesn't count, it's more Californian than southwestern), there ancient pueblo ruins, caves, rattlesnakes, bats, cactus, tumbleweeds (from Russia), coyotes. We have Indians/native Americans around. The Hopi and Navajo reservations (in theory retaining sovereignty) are in the north part of the states, and you can get pottery, silver jewelry, and other stuff from them. The Sonoran desert around tucson is the only place where you actually have the saguaro cactus, even though it's the one you see in all the "wester" stuff. In east arizona there's the painted desert and petrified forest which is a bunch of logs from million year old trees.
A lot of the smaller towns are hispanic and have been around forever (at least in American terms.) I think Santa Fe was founded in the 1600s which makes it older than most of the rest of the USA. There are a lot of rather interesting catholic/hispanic sites around, too.
The mountains in new mexico have forests, mostly coniferous, and the rivers throughout the southwest are bordered by rows of trees that disappear quickly as you move away from the water so they look like giant woody snakes stretching through the desert.

Since there are so many different groups in the southwest (whites, cowboyish, mormonish, new-ageish, hispanics, mexicans, fair numbers of Indians (asian and american), some other asian ethnicities and cultures, blacks, just all kinds of people) and generally they know how to respect each other and get along, though they are completely different and anywhere else might be blood enemies. (well, that's an exageration, but I feel like people out here are friendlier than in other parts of america, especially the east, They're SO curt and dickish on the east cost.)

The other places in america I like a bit are Alaska and the Pacific northwest. But they are not as good as the southwest. They don't have silver, great sunsets, coyotes howling, and an open horizon. (Actually, I guess alaska does have the northern lights, and an open horizon when you really get out in it, but I was there in the summer...)

I've only been outside the US to Canada,( (BC+Yukon, back in the late 90s when gas was about 90 cents a gallon, which I liked, the permafrosted shrunken forests in the yukon were pretty cool. So were moose. ) a little bit of mexico, and Germany (family there.). I like germany a lot, very different than america. The castles sometimes reminded me of pueblos, the old forests were really different than any in America, I like the old towns with really old buildings, the food, I like Berlin.

My favorite cities are Berlin and Tucson.

I hate New York, Los Angeles, east coast and west coast elitsm (people in california think the whole world should know that "bay area" mean san francisco, and that Hollywood makes good movies, and they actually want to live in huge cities with roads so crowded it takes 2 hours to get 15 miles.) (And I already went off about the south.) To be fair all these places have some nice people, but as overall cultures, bad.

In the southwest people are still generally OK with guns, which is good in case the republicans try to institute martial law or screw over the constitution even more.

Someday I'd like to visit India, Iceland, and Mongolia.

The southwestern weather ranges a lot, depending on where you are. In some places it's really windy, in others it isn't. In the summer, depending where you are, it can get near 50 degrees C (120s F) and as cold as -20 degrees C, though in tucson it only gets to right above 0 C because it stays warmer in the winter here than it does in the rest of the southwest. Usually we get some really nice thunderstorms a few times a year, and otherwise it's dry.

Anyhow, this has gotten really long. Wow.:o I'll just leave it at that.

Slogger

Dual Cortex
November 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wow I could say so much about COlombia. But I believe most of the people here wouldn't relate to it or find it to be as beutiful as I do.

When someon thins of COlombia they will either tink of Juan Valdes/Coffee, or white powdery stuff

Kernel Sanders
November 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'm from Wales :KS

**More Information In This Link** (http://www.visitwales.com/)

Its a small country that is right next door to England, and for those of you that dont know, is part of the United Kingdom.

Its a place with lots of hills, and lots of unspoilt countryside. Although the south part of the country is quite industrialised. Its capital city, Cardiff, is one of Britain's few cities that can claim to be modern and developed, yet close to the countryside too.

:KS

The Mekon
November 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
There's an old Australian stockman, lying, dying,
and he gets himself up on one elbow,
and he turns to his mates,
who are gathered 'round him and he says:

Watch me wallabys feed mate.
Watch me wallabys feed.
They're a dangerous breed mate.
So watch me wallabys feed.
Altogether now!

Tie me kangaroo down sport,
tie me kangaroo down.
Tie me kangaroo down sport,
tie me kangaroo down.

Keep me cockatoo cool, Curl,
keep me cockatoo cool.
Don't go acting the fool, Curl,
just keep me cockatoo cool.
Altogether now!

Take me koala back, Jack,
take me koala back.
He lives somewhere out on the track, Mac,
so take me koala back.
Altogether now!

Let me Abos go loose, Lou, *
let me Abos go loose.
They're of no further use, Lou,
so let me Abos go loose.
Altogether now!

Mind me platypus duck, Bill,
mind me platypus duck.
Don't let him go running amok, Bill,
mind me platypus duck.
Altogether now!

Play your digeridoo, Blue,
play your digeridoo.
Keep playing 'til I shoot thro' Blue,
play your digerydoo.
Altogether now!

Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred,
tan me hide when I'm dead.
So we tanned his hide when he died Clyde,
(Spoken) And that's it hanging on the shed.
Altogether now!

© 1960 Castle Music Pty, Ltd.
Words and music by Rolf Harris

nbound
November 5th, 2006, 12:50 AM
That brings back memories of primary school... god i hated that song :D:p

dv/dt
November 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I live in Sydney, Australia and it's ok here. Love the summer, absolutely hate the winter. I guess being in a usually hot country, I just can't stand the cold. I'm pretty much an environmentalist and the drought is just terrible. Dam levels here are below 40% and if we don't get enough rain, well then things are just gonna go worst :( The Howard government appears selfish for just not accepting the Kyoto Protocol and that makes me ashamed at times. Everything else though, ROCKS!

MedivhX
November 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
There are many Australians using Ubuntu... Strange...

.t.
November 5th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm in England. Long live the Party.

Castar
November 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Greece,

but living in London.

Which is kind of difficult, given the weather difference :)

your
November 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM
i live in Italy, but i don't like my nation... beacuse I love USA!!!

rosvit
November 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
so I am from SLOVAKIA, small country in the middle of Europe with nice nature. our highest mountain chain HIGH TATRAS are unique in this region, they are popular by quite wide choice of tourist paths and skiing centres in winter. Capital of Slovakia (and biggest city) is Bratislava, second biggest city is Kosice (where I live) with almost 240 000 inhabitatns. Slovakia is in European Union since 2004.

xpod
November 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I aint going to burst into a rendition of "flower of Scotland" being as i live down here in London among my English buddies now(with English kids):D

I originate from a wee place called Arbroath but spent my formative years in good old Edinburgh.

Countries dont come no better than bonnie Scotland....imho.
And i suppose England aint toooo bad either.....now that Longshanks is long gone;)

Burgresso
November 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Good thread topic...

I'm from the USA, and something that would suprise most people is how diverse it is.

Tampler
November 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Ok, lets talk about my location:) I'm from Bulgaria which is in Southeastern Europe. We have four seasons with warm summer and very cold winter(with a lot of snow).Foreigners said that our nature and girls are beautiful and I'm agree. For this moment we are one of the poorest country in Europe but we work hard and will change this very soon :) Currently I live in the bulgarian capital Sofia.

pgatrick
November 7th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'm from the USA, living on the Gulf Coast right now.. What can I say about this place.. Yay for hurricanes? They're really not so bad. Ever thrown a frisbee with 90mph+ winds at your back? :p The weather is really annoying, heat and humidity are a terrible combination. :rolleyes:

migla
November 7th, 2006, 01:49 AM
In my country the richer peoples representatives came into power, so now they want to take from the poor and give to the rich through reduced unemployment benefits and lowered taxes. They also want to subsidize golf and horsebackriding.

slibuntu
November 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear the water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

W.B Yeats

Ireland has the most beautiful scenery in the world, and the most beautiful language in the world, Gaelige, ar aghaigh linn!

theicyj
November 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
USA - Land of the free, home of the brave.

viper
November 7th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Australia, Melbourne..........simply love it.

Iandefor
November 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Hmmmm...my country is very cold in the morning and becomes quite hot in the afternoon(happens to every country doesn't it?). It also has a lot of nature,I can go on safari whenever I want!It is alright,but I would rather live in a country with faster internet. You live in Kenya?

I'm going to Kenya this upcoming January!

In regards to the US? See my sig. I've become quite disenchanted with the place as of late.

your
November 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Australia, Melbourne..........simply love it.

Australia? I'm not love Australia... it's any away from Italy :D

adam.tropics
November 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cairns, Australia. With you Viper, love it. Hot and sunny nearly everyday of the year up here! (too hot and humid right now though!)

rado_london
November 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I live in London but I am originally from Bulgaria.
For Bulgaria I have to say three things - rich cultural life, beautiful nature (sea and mountains) and buff chicks.

For London I have to say a city full with people that dont care about things they should do. ATM I am at college and my mate sitting next to me just had a fart. Does that looks normal to you. Life is expensive though but clubbing is brilliant here. And plus I am 17 and noone cares if I have an ID or not.

MedivhX
November 7th, 2006, 09:53 PM
In regards to the US? See my sig. I've become quite disenchanted with the place as of late.

Hey i love that Rammstein's song!!!

Iandefor
November 8th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Hey i love that Rammstein's song!!! I'm really not a big fan of Rammstein, but that lyric works so well :).

PryGuy
November 27th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Hello there!
I have a feeling I've seen a similar post here on the Ubuntu Forums but it wasn't a poll. So what country are you from? This poll has limitations so I could make it for 9 countries only (10th line is for 'Other' as usual). People from France and Germany, hope you won't be so angry that I had to join your countries together. ;)

DerHesse
November 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Vive la France!

xyz
November 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM
...not just about chocolate, cheese, watches and banks!

hesee
November 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Finland!

xpod
November 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Guess

daschl
November 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Austria! (no, the country with no kangaroos) ;)

tribaal
November 27th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Switzerland!

...not just about chocolate, cheese, watches and banks!
Clair ;)

- trib'

sbjaved
November 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Pakistan!

xyz
November 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Switzerland!

Clair ;)

- trib'
Salut à toi et salutations de Fribourg!!;)
Long live CH!

xiangpeng
November 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Singapore!

xpod
November 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I did`nt choose "Great Britain" as i dont like bundling my Bonnie Scotland in with such Empire-ish sounding terms.

I`ll settled for being an "Other":D

Malta paul
November 27th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Sunny Malta EU :-D

Teamgeist
November 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Germany. :-D
http://www.deutschland.de/aufeinenblick/uebersicht.php?lang=2

syrleb
November 27th, 2006, 10:36 AM
the point of this exactly?

xyz
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
fun!!!No?

xpod
November 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM

](*,)

kinson
November 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Malaysia ! (I'm Chinese, btw :) )

Cheers,
Kinson

adam.tropics
November 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
England...by birth, Australia by choice and citizenship.

camilluk
November 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I'm from Italy!

viper
November 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Australia...:)

foxmulder881
November 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Austria! (no, the country with no kangaroos) ;)

AUSTRALIA!

The country with Kangaroos, and lots of them!

missmoondog
November 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
wow! only 3 from the u.s.?

aspro
November 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Give it time and the ratios will even out, it's prime time over here in the land of the kangaroo.

beercz
November 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Uk

PryGuy
November 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Another vote from Russia. And I think I know who is that. It's my wife I suppose, I've sent her this link a few minutes ago... ;)

alican timur
November 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Turkey!

acheun
November 27th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Australia! Country of Koala as well. Born in HK though.

engla
November 27th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Gotta love this crazy poll with the crazy options :) France/Germany is now a country together?

I'm from Scandinavia.

PryGuy
November 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Gotta love this crazy poll with the crazy options :) France/Germany is now a country together?

I'm from Scandinavia.Comon, stop kidding me. The answer is - Yes! ;) In fact they are EU now. I had to write EU instead of France/Germany...
Scandinavia is great! We'll come to you for snow... It's +5 here now... ;)

arvster
November 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Latvia! :D
IMO the poll would make more sense if it would have just continents/general parts of the world on it.

Stew2
November 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
The Great White North... Canada. :)

Regards,
Stew2

MedivhX
November 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Serbia!

Obsolete
November 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Sweden...

TeraDyne
November 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
The United States

Dual Cortex
November 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Colombia

haxer
Sweden but three months every yeat im with my cousins in serbia :KS

PryGuy
Africa???!!!

Circus-Killer
November 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
<sarcasm>i'm from the lovely country of "african continent".</sarcasm> :p

Bavo
November 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Belgium

PryGuy
November 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM
<sarcasm>i'm from the lovely country of "african continent".</sarcasm> :pI would list all the countries all around the world if I could... Don't shoot the piano player please... :(

gosh
November 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM
The Netherlands

finferflu
November 27th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Italy, even though I'm living in the UK right now.

derjames
November 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
From Mexico but living in the UK...

munkyeetr
November 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Canada

HoMe_CaNiBaL
November 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
porto, portugal...

o melhor vinho e' do porto...

adwait
November 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Just 3 from india out of a billion! we gotta improve linux usage here :D

falkenberg_cph
November 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Denmark

VosaxAlo
November 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I'm from Switzerland (Cantone ticino - swiss italian region)

earobinson
November 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
CANADA wha no canada grrrrr

zAo
November 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Holland.

pichalsi
November 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Slovakia

serlex
November 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Born in Turkey, live in England

flapane
November 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hello there!
I have a feeling I've seen a similar post here on the Ubuntu Forums but it wasn't a poll. So what country are you from? This poll has limitations so I could make it for 9 countries only (10th line is for 'Other' as usual). People from France and Germany, hope you won't be so angry that I had to join your countries together. ;)

so what should tell italian ppl? ;):twisted:

finferflu
November 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Just have fun and don't bother! ;)

PryGuy
November 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
so what should tell italian ppl? ;):twisted:Italy and Spain, you know I love you! Two Spanish girls drove me crazy ten years ago in London. ;)

Tikhon
November 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Ukraine

steven8
November 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I had a friend who was stationed in Spain about 20 years ago. He raved about the Spanish women!!

I'm from the U.S. Big whoop.

dbbolton
November 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
yeah, 'cross the pond.

i'm moving to berlin.

Magnes
November 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Poland

Tasu
November 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Uhm! Italy! ^_^

ZuLuuuuuu
November 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Turkey :)

delfick
November 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM
WESTERN AUSTRALIA!!!!!

the best side of the best country in the world :D:D

(note i've never left WA so i could be wrong :D)

total wormage
November 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
the Netherlands

hurrah

zgornel
November 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Romania

beast2k
November 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Canada, with trees and ice, lots of ice.

lazyd2
November 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Greece.

bonzodog
November 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM
First vote here for Ireland (it's not part of Great Britain - is an independent country).

Sefrin
November 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Canada, the part with less trees, and way less ice.

Eddie Wilson
November 28th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I think this is great. Its makes the world seem a lot smaller. From the mountains of Virginia, USA.
Eddie

jkwarras
November 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
From Zaragoza, Spain.

hartl_vienna
November 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Austria!

PS: There are no kangaroos in Austria. :D

iPower
November 28th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Sweden

DerHesse
December 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Are you disappointed that your Country is not in the list?
Neither Syria nor Lebanon? You do seem to be a patriot! :confused:

I had to share my Radio Button with France! :-k
I'm a patriot, too. Long live old europe, and of course the rest of the world. :D

kapilg_it
December 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
India :cool:
I wasn't disappointed, Found India in the list

Aetherius
December 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Northern Ireland, its a part of the UK but NOT a part of "great" britain :P

sweemeng
December 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM
from malaysia

Gargamella
December 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Italy

wieman01
December 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Planet Earth...

dashnak
December 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm Mexican.
Viva México Cabrones!!! hehehehe

Titi
December 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
belgium.
yes, that is the capital of brussels.

gh0st
December 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm from the UK. It's cool to see so many people from around the world using Ubuntu, a true multi-cultural OS :-)

dutchmega
December 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The Netherlands, The World, The Universe, Some Alien's Garden

Duf_Sh
December 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Québec! (well, still Canada, no one knows what Québec is anymore)

But my coffee machine is italian ^-^

scrooge_74
December 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Using Ubuntu in Panama and loving it.

Ben Sprinkle
December 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Guess

London, you want to be in Scotland. Scotland is the best in my opinion. :)

avc302000
December 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Portugal!

Verminox
December 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
India here

Luggy
December 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Canada

budgie9
December 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
An Englishman now a Canadian citizen, who is proud to stand in the snow with the other 8 Canadians here.
Great to see some Canadianx using Linux in this MS world.

hoagie
December 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Cyprus

gfg
December 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
The fabulous country named Norway.

neoflight
December 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM
india, student here in PA

Lord Illidan
December 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Malta!!!

mindtrick
December 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Turkey :)

Iarwain ben-adar
December 11th, 2006, 08:47 PM
The little place called Belgium,
where they have chocolate and beer :D

Iarwain

pelle.k
December 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Sweden

rado_london
December 12th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I come from Bulgaria but ATM I live in UK.

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I'm from Hungary. I hope someone knows where it is. :D

BOBSONATOR
December 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I know where hungary is!

I am born in Hunington Beach, CA, but Im iranian.

sam81
December 12th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Italian living in the UK

energiya
December 12th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Romania! ;)

sailingboarder
December 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
United States

mand0
December 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Born in Brazil; living in the USA.

DC@DR
December 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM
As written in my forum profile, I'm proudly from Vietnam :-)

b3tzi
December 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Romania.

johan@
December 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Born and life in The Netherlands.

darkstarruk
December 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
England

Pathfinder_
December 13th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Ukraine!

mcglnx
December 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Belgium

aktiwers
December 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Denmark

Hex_Mandos
December 13th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Argentina. Poll design leaves a bit to be desired... every region should be covered, at least as a whole (Why is there an option for "African Continent" but not one for Latin America?)

mcglnx
December 13th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I agree - and confusing France and Germany can raise some flames,...

dorcssa
December 13th, 2006, 01:15 AM
See this one.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1877222#post1877222

That thread is better I think, you poll for your continent, and tell your country. :D

x3non
December 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Milan, Italy

argie
December 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Yay, India got a whole choice for ourselves.

katgfan
December 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Wow its like Miss World in here.

Bezmotivnik
December 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Wow its like Miss World in here.
"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful..." [-X

jeremy
December 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Spain

t100
December 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hello everyone,I'm from Costa Rica!

Ferio
December 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Spain

victorbrca
December 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Born in Brazil - Living in Canada

Pajblito
December 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM
por paraguay andamos hasta q se entere la policia :P

pero venimos de argentina, carne de exportacion viste

Korrontean
December 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm from the Basque Country in Spain. France+Germany: well done :) . You could have made it European Union too.

robert@debian
December 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
Germany here.

I wonder where all the Asian Linux geeks are :-k

s6dalane
December 21st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I am from Estonia and proud of it! :)

STREETURCHINE
December 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM
AUSTRALIA!

The country with Kangaroos, and lots of them!

AUSTRALIA,, dont forget the b*&%dy flies lots of the little b@#$%*d's...:D

IYY
December 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Canada!

ComplexNumber
December 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
great(?) britain, born and bred.

mdsmedia
December 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
WESTERN AUSTRALIA!!!!!

the best side of the best country in the world :D:D

(note i've never left WA so i could be wrong :D)LOL I lived in WA for a year and a half. It's a beautiful part of the country. I'm torn between Perth and Melbourne for my favourite city in the world :)

talbain
December 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Germany here.

I wonder where all the Asian Linux geeks are :-k

Browsing forums only they can read :D

Me? I'm from "Other" ... namely Argentina.

EdThaSlayer
December 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Netherlands!!!!

brianC
December 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Canada..........bumpy hilly part

Somenoob
December 28th, 2006, 10:17 PM
somewhere.. :-k

Amorphous_Snake
December 29th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Egypt, Africa.

Only 5 Africans. And none from Egypt. That's just too bad!

tommytom
December 29th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I've got nea idea mon, i've swalled a muckel tinny 'o tennents!

Ps - Africa Rocks!!

roderikk
December 29th, 2006, 01:28 AM
The Netherlands!

PartisanEntity
December 29th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Austria.

Nice to see people from all over the world :)

SAGEv4.5
December 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Canada eh?

dolny
December 29th, 2006, 02:04 AM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/2/-/bush_debate_poland.jpg

Poland, been living in Liverpool, UK for like 10 months but I guess I need to go back now :(

Zdravko
December 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I am from Sofia, Bulgaria! And in just one day Bulgaria will become a member of the European union! That's so cool! :KS

Zdravko
December 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I am a Bulgarian and currently live in the capital city - Sofia. rado_london (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=45665) and Tampler (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=72938) already said something about the seasons and the girls ;) The summer here is marvelous - the sun glistens over the lush green hills - just like a fairy-tale.
In fact Bulgaria has rich history and is going to enter the European Union in just one day! I am so happy about it!

haxer
December 30th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Im from sweden really nice country good economics good social security. But the prison time is so small for big crimes so all people from baltic countries comes to sweden and makes crimes such as smuggeling people killing.. "Laser man" killed 11people and got 11years if it was in some other country he would have got like 11 life centensies :-k

And im also half serbish volem te srpski :) sometime when i have saved enough money i will move there :)

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm watching Bush read the last book in his library, Green Eggs and Ham, he's already read Cat in the Hat, and read a little bit of Websters Childrens Dictonary, aww... He's such a cute president. :( (What an idiot)

ixus_123
December 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
The weather is crap which is probably why the english are the most travelled nation - you'll find at least one of stuck in any random corner of the world

RAV TUX
December 30th, 2006, 09:15 PM
So this is a thread about saying something about the county where you live. Say whether you like it or not etc...

I'm currently too lazy to say soething about Serbia, so you'll have to wait a bit (untill my lazyness stops).

USA...in spite of all the negative rhetoric. Love the USA...It really is a great place to live.

All reality is based on perspective of course.

(One illustrative theory is that Heaven and Hell are exactly the same,...it just depends on your perspective.)

Jorge32
December 31st, 2006, 06:26 AM
Mexico!!!

RAV TUX
December 31st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Hello there!

You could have posted a detrave poll with more options:;)

http://polls.detrave.net/

EDIT: these two threads merged:

What country are you from? | Say something about your country

PryGuy
December 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Hey people,
Sorry for the off topic but HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ;)