PDA

View Full Version : Vista = V.isually I.ts S.weet, T.echnically A.ppalling

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I just installed the final version of VISTA ULTIMATE.... I removed it within 12 hours, because it just feels all wrong!. It is trying to be too 'clever' and tbh, whatever it does and HOWEVER well it seems to be doing it, the interface is so counter-intuitive that it beggars belief in some ways.

Also, what gives with the super duper specs required, JUST to enabled 3D Desktop?!?! LOL!

Having said that, the installer is a massive improvement compared to other versions, BUT it seems to say, to thse of us who are IT techs "You don't need to worry yourself with the details" and simply hides what is going on behind the scenes... worrying!!.

I think as far as M$ OS's go, XP is surely the best of the bunch - why did they not just improve the code base, and build something based upon that success??. Better still, release the XP source code, when Vista goes public!! :D :D

Got to go sorry... a pig just crashed into our tree outside... they keep flying past! :rolleyes:

viciouslime
November 26th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Lol! Nice review :p

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I try my best *LMAO* ;)

pichalsi
November 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM
yeah i have like the same view... i installed vista last thursday but after the install (like one hour), i dont have sound, no programs except notepad and paint, no video driver, i havent noticed any good effects but i noticed i dont have menubar in windows explorer, stupid control panel is messed up and windows ask me to confirm every single thing... totally counter productive for me

but there is an improvement : command now has history (up arrow) and the Tab functions like here in linux :) when we had to do some latex work at my university my mates spend such a long time just typing latex asdf.tex and then opening it by mouse instead of just running my small script (they obviously dont know anything about batch files...)

rfruth
November 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM
The couple people I know (that have high end hardware and are Windows fans) say Vista is slow, even resizing a Window maxes out CPU usage but in the eye candy dept it scores big :confused:

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Here we go again... Billie's crew copying everything in existance, to attempt to "stay one step ahead" lmao.

The release cycle of WIN is spaced apart SO much, the Linux will eventually take over, if you ask me.

COPIED:
----------

Tabbed Browsing (BADLY)
Command history with arrows (cmd)
GUI installer... (its AWFUL)
basically everything else that anyone in the IT industry has ever discovered :(

WalmartSniperLX
November 26th, 2006, 11:04 PM
HEY after I installed Vista Ultimate I removed it in 15 MINUTES and replaced it with Kubuntu :D

I agree with what has been said about it though. ;)

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM
DIS
GUS
TIN
GWA
STE
OFR
ESO
URC
ES!

A bit like only using three letters per line, on a forum post, Vista wastes resources very much as M$ themselves do, financially and morally!!

addicted68098
November 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Vista is going to be a security nightmere!

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
*GOING* to be?? it already IS!!. The final RTM version has ALREADY been leaked out :) and if they can't keep their software a secret, can you trust M$ to keep your logins etc secret?? HAHA!!!

Ramses de Norre
November 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
but there is an improvement : command now has history (up arrow)

That works already in XP here, though the tab completion is new I guess.

unlokia
November 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM
It only works in XP as long as you have the CMD window open. Close the DOS box and it forgets everything. About as much use as rubber lips on a woodpecker, a chocolate fireguard or a polystyrene ladder!!

[edit] Oh and tab completion is present in XP - just tried it!.

Ramses de Norre
November 26th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Ow yes, there is indeed no history when you close the window.. And it's pretty handy in one window too;)

Although bash is superior without any doubt anyway.

MaximB
November 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM
yeah - the tab was in xp
and even the copy/paste trick in cmd was already in xp.

maybe we should charge them for patents ? ;)

RAV TUX
November 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM
moving to the Backyard....

couldn't decide wether to move this to the backyard or the Windows forum...

Since the Windows forum has a prohibition against bashing windows I will move this to the Backyard,...respectfully.

This could be changed if need be.

Jozef

unlokia
November 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Can we have a BBQ in your backyard?? We could roast Bill Gates, and open some *sauce* then pour it over him - he will probably taste rather bitter! :)

Choad
November 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Can we have a BBQ in your backyard?? We could roast Bill Gates, and open some *sauce* then pour it over him - he will probably taste rather bitter! :)
oh god.... thats awful. truly.

unlokia
November 27th, 2006, 12:28 AM
What better compliment for my jokes?!!! :D

Abild
November 27th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I can't help wondering what Microsoft was thinking with vista? The new interface is ugly, and especially those weird green "crystals" are amongst the ugliest things I've ever seen. The lack of menus in the windows explorer windows are really confusing (and I think many users will have trouble getting used to it). All the confirmation messages are really going to **** people of the same thing goes for the stricter activation rules. Lots of existing software also seems to be failing in vista.

And maybe most importantly: I've just set up Beryl on my laptop. Is a really old Dell Latitude C640 with Pentium 4-M 1,8ghz (the underclocked northwood, not Dothan), 768mb ram and some old crappy, poorly supported ATI graphics card (It is the mobile version of Radeon 7500 as far as i remember) with no hardware acceleration at all. Beryl runs beautifully on it and I have better effects than any vista user will ever have. I doubt vista, even without aero, would even be able to run on it at all.
How did vista become so resource hungry? Why isn't the biggest software company in the world with the most qualified programming staff out there not able to optimize their code so it would be able to run on existing hardware? I really don't get it.

unlokia
November 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
How did vista become so resource hungry? Why isn't the biggest software company in the world with the most qualified programming staff out there not able to optimize their code so it would be able to run on existing hardware? I really don't get it.

I get it... CLOSED SOURCE!!

M$ *may* be a "big company" but also one that doesn't give their source code out, and surely the open source community has a population FAR exceeding the number of M$ employees!!. Anyhow, when you are coding for the greater good of the community, you're FAR more likely to succeed, due to the moral objectives being completely different.

It is also due to them being "in bed" with the hardware manufacturers, and making sure people buy new kit. Whether or not you NEED that kit, is completely irrelevant to them - they suck money out of wallets like it's going out of fashion!. It would be better if they gave the hardware a longer life cycle, and charged for support. Unlikely though.. there goes that pig again, flying past my window.

aysiu
November 27th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Moved to Windows discussions.

RAV TUX
November 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Moved to Windows discussions.
remember:

Windows Discussions (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
Discuss the Windows operating system here. Please do not use this as a bashing area.

unlokia
November 27th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Do staff not talk to one another?? awww!

frup
November 27th, 2006, 01:39 AM
If windows was actually open sourced, would you use it though?

I don't really care about vista, it's old news to me. Feisty looks a tad more interesting.

unlokia
November 27th, 2006, 01:44 AM
If it was made open source, then why would I NOT want to try it, after a few revisions, naturally!.

RAV TUX
November 27th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Do staff not talk to one another?? awww!

yes we do and aysiu and I have agreed to move the thread here and close it.

due to it's tendency to bash Microsoft that is NOT allowed in this forum.

again the purpose of this forum is:

Windows Discussions (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
Discuss the Windows operating system here. Please do not use this as a bashing area.