PDA

View Full Version : Scripts not getting called...

davebed
November 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I am trying to have the following script excecuted automatically when the AC power is removed and the battery is called:

#!/bin/bash

DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/aticonfig --set-powerstate=1

I put in in a file called script.sh (with execute permissions) and placed it in /etc/acpi/battery.d

The problem is that it doesn't appear to get called.

How can I track this and see why it's not getting executed?

NOTES:
If I execute the code in the TERM it works fine.

If it execute it with sudo:

sudo DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/aticonfig --set-powerstate=1
I get:

sudo: DISPLAY=:0: command not found

Perhaps that is useful in solving this little problem?

thank you.

po0f
November 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
davebed,

I don't know too much about handling ACPI events; are you sure that the script is associated with the correct event? Also, the sudo command would be:

$ DISPLAY=:0 sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --set-powerstate=1
You have to declare variables before the command you run.

PilotJLR
November 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Try removing the extension from the filename... so just "scripts"

Also make sure the executable bit is set.

pdietric
November 27th, 2006, 01:06 AM
You can see what happens when the event occurs that should trigger your script by examining /var/log/acpid.
I bet your problem has something to do with root not being granted access to your X-session.

Bye

davebed
November 27th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I will put them to work and report back soon.

Many thanks again.

davebed
November 27th, 2006, 11:08 PM
You can see what happens when the event occurs that should trigger your script by examining /var/log/acpid.
I bet your problem has something to do with root not being granted access to your X-session.

Bye

How could I grant X-session root access on an automatic basis?

Thanks.

scoon
November 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hey there,

This is interesting. I am having a similar problem.

I have a script that should get called when I bring up my VPN, but it does not.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out for you.

My gut tells me that it could pertain to having an inactive root account. I will try to enable root and post back.

-scoon

pdietric
November 28th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Davebed,

the first thing to do would be to figure out how to grant root access to the user's X-Session at all. I myself have been trying to do this (also want to have some scripts executed at battery or ac event). All attempts unsuccessful so far.

What do you see in that acpid log. If it is a privilege issue there should be some entries saying "Connection to Display :0.0 refused. Can't open display " upon execution of power.sh .

If have read a lot of posts from people reporting some behavior similar to the just mentioned one. Some of these people claim they were able to solve it by doing a
xhost +localhost or similar command.

What is for sure is that
xhost + grants everybody access to the X-session in question and thus also root. The result is that power.sh does execute the scripts - it works. But this way one substantially weakens system security.

Others recommend the use of xauth's cookie system to enable root access to the user's X-session. This is supposed to be much more secure than using xhost. I think (don't know for sure) there are several ways to go about this with xauth (try One of the following).

1. when root, set root's XAUTHORITY environment variable with path to user's .Xauthority file:
export XAUTHORITY=/home/user/.Xauthority

2. copy user's Xauthority file to root's directory:
cp /home/user/.Xauthority /root/

3. use xauth command when root (don't know the actual effect of this one):
xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority

Trying all of the above I had no success with power.sh executing my scripts. But strangely the following worked after doing method 1 for example:

Go to virtual terminal:
Alt+Ctrl+F1

After loggin in as normal user become root:
sudo -i

Set DISPLAY env variable:
export DISPLAY=:0

execute a command affecting user's xsession, e.g.:
aticonfig --set-powerlevel=1

Switch back to your X-session:
ALT+Ctrl+F7

and check the powerlevel of your ati graphics chip:
aticonfig --lsp

It changed. But the I don't understand why executing the exact same command in a script by power.sh does not.

I hope I could make my point clear. Thanks for listening.

davebed
November 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Hmmm...

Ya. I had to run a
xhost +localhost script at session startup in order for my fglrxpowermode.sh (the ATI script called from power events that automatically scales the video card power up or down) script to execute the
aticonfig --set-powerlevel=X automatically.

If i run

or
DISPLAY=:0 sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --set-powerstate=1
from a terminal, i get

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Unable to open display `:0.0'.

but if i run a script with
#!/bin/bash

It works fine. and so do my scripts in ac.d and battery.d

Come to think of it, all the scripts I've been tring to run from ac.d and battery.d have been display related.

Is there a simple script you can think of that I could test with that is NOT diplay related?

Oh ya and, this means that we're no closer to solving this still, doesn't it?!

onaka_the_kaka
December 9th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I also entered Gnome-Toolbar->System->Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs-> and added

xhost +local:

If someone has figured out a better solution we might be able to put this on the wiki as many people seem to post about this!

stbaker
December 30th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I have a very similar problem. Like everyone else, I'm having no success getting fgrlx-powermode.sh to run properly. However, I also have another script, ipw-powermode.sh in both ac.d and battery.d. its pretty simple, it just sets the powersaving mode of my wireless card:

#!/bin/bash

iwpriv eth1 set_power 7

So basically when i (un)plug the power connector, the acpid log tells me power.sh gets called, but power.sh doesn't call the scripts in battery.d/ac.d. Any ideas?

Sean

twstokes
February 2nd, 2007, 05:40 AM
My original post: Add me to the list. I'm having the exact same problem trying to set my ATI card to a lower powerstate. I can run the script manually and it works fine.

Follow up: I found out how to fix my particular problem. All I had to do was remove the "#" from the beginning of "FGLRX_ACPI_SWITCH_POWERSTATES=true" in /etc/default/fglrx.

Now the script runs automatically when I run on battery or AC.