PDA

View Full Version : Pledge, may be this is the way forward

ade234uk
November 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM
No one on the outside is listening to Linux users. I saw the post of pledging for an open source nvidia driver which I think is a great idea.

I would really love to be able to run Dreamweaver natively in Linux or for someone to create something similar without relying on Crossover all the time. Why cant we have other ideas like this.

I'm prepared to pay to see these things come over on Linux.

aysiu
November 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I would really love to be able to run Dreamweaver natively in Linux or for someone to create something similar without relying on Crossover all the time. Why cant we have other ideas like this.

I'm prepared to pay to see these things come over on Linux. It's called Nvu.

If you're prepared to pay, buy Linspire:
Many people have asked how they can help support the Nvu project with cash donations. Currently Linspire, Inc. is the chief financial sponsor for Nvu. Linspire believes strongly in open source software and has committed to continue its financial support to the Nvu project. To see other projects that Linspire has contributed to visit http://www.linspire.com/opensource. The best way to support Nvu is by supporting Linspire through the purchase of their products and services at http://www.linspire.com/buy. We thank you for your support!

bionnaki
November 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
sudo aptitude install nvu

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry, but NVU is not Dreamweaver's equal.
You shouldn't rely on WYSIWYG anyway.... learn to code and use Bluefish.

aysiu
November 26th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry, but NVU is not Dreamweaver's equal. The OP was lauding a non-yet-functional open source Nvidia driver and wanted a similar project for Dreamweaver. Nvu is that project. It's certainly further along than the Nouveau project is.
You shouldn't rely on WYSIWYG anyway.... learn to code and use Bluefish. That's a separate issue entirely... and I agree. I prefer Gedit to Bluefish, though.

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 08:54 PM
The OP was lauding a non-yet-functional open source Nvidia driver and wanted a similar project for Dreamweaver. Nvu is that project. It's certainly further along than the Nouveau project is.

Nvu is dead, development stopped a year ago.

aysiu
November 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Nvu is dead, development stopped a year ago.
According to Wikipedia:
The original plan in June 2005 was to merge back the numerous changes into Mozilla Composer's source code tree. Since then the Mozilla Suite has been discontinued (then reintroduced as SeaMonkey), and no one merged the Nvu code back into Composer.

Daniel Glazman announced on September 15, 2006 that he has stopped official development on Nvu and he is developing a successor to it, tentatively called Composer (or Mozilla Composer 2.0), as a Mozilla.org project. It is written from scratch and based on Mozilla trunk Gecko 1.9 and XULRunner. PHP and CSS will be supported. A community-driven fork, KompoZer, maintains Nvu codebase and fixes bugs until a successor to Nvu is released. So Nvu by its own name may be dead, but it looks as if Composer or KompoZer may still be happening.