PDA

View Full Version : lazy lazy webdesigners

ade234uk
November 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I'm noticing more and more websites saying that it is only compatable in Internet Explorer. I used to see this on sites about 5 years ago.

Why wont some these companies make their site compatable with Firefox. I wanted to place an advert on www.friday-ad.co.uk and had problems. At the bottom of the page it now says

This site is best viewed using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
(Web-2) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Either companies don't trust Firefox or they are just plain lazy and cant be bothered to make sites compatable.

ZuLuuuuuu
November 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
The problem is not making web sites compatible, because if you are a real web designer then you know -standard- HTML language. And if you know HTML then your web site will work on both browsers already. Internet Explorer changed standards so there are many -so called- webmasters they don't even know that they should put " to attribute values. The web sites which don't look good on Firefox are not well coded.

Don't misunderstood me I'm saying this to the -so called- webmasters :)

I admit that there are some codes which cannot be rendered on Internet Explorer and Firefox well although they are standards compliant but they are rare. And Firefox is more standards compliant than Internet Explorer.

With the latest release -I'm not sure but- Opera is better than both of them from the point of view of standards.

TeraDyne
November 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM
With the latest release -I'm not sure but- Opera is better than both of them from the point of view of standards.

Opera and Konqueror both outdo FF and IE. They both pass the Acid2 test, which is the best test for standards compliance.

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 08:42 PM
On the other hand, more and more sites display the "w3c valid" tags. 8)

Spif
November 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM
More websites EI only? Really? Are you absolutely sure?

Because I feel far more sites are very Gecko friendly compared to just a year or two ago.

BWF89
November 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
The only websites that don't do Firefox are usually banking websites (you could instead drive to the bank to make transactions) or music listening websites (you could download the songs with Gnutella or listen to it with YouTube) so it's nothing that is completely irreplaceable. Just send a letter to the website telling them you can't visit their website as you don't use IE or Windows or don't send anything and find a website that is compatible to go to.

IYY
November 27th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Their loss. Forget about the Linux users; nearly 100% of Apple users don't use IE, as well as a huge share of Firefox users on Windows. And not only that, but these non compliant websites might not even work with newer versions of IE!

PrinceArithon
November 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I have one philosophy that I have adopted ever since I first used firefox when it was called firebird and that is:

"If it doesn't work, then I don't need to go to that site"

PryGuy
November 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
The problem is not making web sites compatible, because if you are a real web designer then you know -standard- HTML language. And if you know HTML then your web site will work on both browsers already. Internet Explorer changed standards so there are many -so called- webmasters they don't even know that they should put " to attribute values. The web sites which don't look good on Firefox are not well coded.Yes, and I'll tell you more, If you know CSS not HTML in general. CSS (Cascade Style Sheet) is perfectly compatible with most browsers. I have completely switched to CSS and my code is 90 percent cross-compatible out of the box. In fact IE is very poorly compatible with W3C standards. They believed that they were almighty so they developed their own standards for IE. Now we have this freaky browser with it's own HTML dialect. But thanks God IE has a good CSS compatibility so if you are going to write pages that could work in IE, Mozilla and Opera - CSS is your only way.

And not only that, but these non compliant websites might not even work with newer versions of IE!Why wouldn't they? Have you read something about IE7? There were a few engine changes only, interface changes mostly. So literally IE7 renders EVERYTHING like his daddy used to... ;)

RAV TUX
November 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM
it would be interesting to see a list of websites not compatible in Firefox...

My bank works fine in Firefox

the only website I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't work in Firefox is Launchcast.

xyz
November 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
At the bottom of the page it now says

This site is best viewed using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
I visited the site and my FF 2.0 doesn't display this!!

Rhapsody
November 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
But thanks God IE has a good CSS compatibility so if you are going to write pages that could work in IE, Mozilla and Opera - CSS is your only way.

Are you kidding? Internet Explorer has by far the worst CSS support (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_%28CSS%29) of any major browser. That's why it still fails the Acid2 test so badly while all other browsers either pass already or are nearing it (Firefox will pass Acid2 in version 3.0 and already does in development snapshots).

Why wouldn't they? Have you read something about IE7? There were a few engine changes only, interface changes mostly. So literally IE7 renders EVERYTHING like his daddy used to... ;)

Well to be fair to the IE developers, the current version (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Ie7acid2.png) is much improved over how the five-year old version 6.0 (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Ieacid2.gif) performed. It's still way behind the (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Safariacid2.png) competition (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Acid2firefoxreflow.png) though. It's also still lagging behind in another area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_%28XHTML%29) that is currently giving me a headache as I try to make my own site use coding a bit more modern...