PDA

View Full Version : A good laptop for video editing?

Flamekebab
November 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since the Hoary beta, both on desktops and my own laptops (along with as an intranet server). I'm very happy with it overall, but lately my oldest laptop, an Acer Aspire 1362 WLMi, has been having heating issues and, to be quite honest, I think it's nearly time for a new laptop. It's served me well, but I think it may soon be time to move to a new machine, one that doesn't shut itself down every few hours..

I enjoy editing videos under linux and so any new laptop would have to be quite powerful, although hard disk size isn't a major concern, as I have a 400GB USB2 external hard disk.

However, I want a laptop that has the optimum compatability with Ubuntu, although if the wireless doesn't work, I have a Belkin card from the Linux Emporium, so no worries on that account.

I live in the UK, so it's going to be expensive regardless, but I'd like to attempt to keep the costs down. Suggestions?

Macintosh Sauce
November 26th, 2006, 06:50 PM
One suggestion... A Mac Book Pro. :)

mips
November 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T61p or Z61p.

Flamekebab
November 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Having just Froogle'd the Z61P, I might want to add, I can probably not afford anything over £1000! Thank you for the suggestion though.

The T61P doesn't seem to exist, according to Froogle..

I am considering a macbook, except I want to run linux and I think a mac book pro would be a tad frivolous.

Choad
November 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since the Hoary beta, both on desktops and my own laptops (along with as an intranet server). I'm very happy with it overall, but lately my oldest laptop, an Acer Aspire 1362 WLMi, has been having heating issues and, to be quite honest, I think it's nearly time for a new laptop. It's served me well, but I think it may soon be time to move to a new machine, one that doesn't shut itself down every few hours..

I enjoy editing videos under linux and so any new laptop would have to be quite powerful, although hard disk size isn't a major concern, as I have a 400GB USB2 external hard disk.

However, I want a laptop that has the optimum compatability with Ubuntu, although if the wireless doesn't work, I have a Belkin card from the Linux Emporium, so no worries on that account.

I live in the UK, so it's going to be expensive regardless, but I'd like to attempt to keep the costs down. Suggestions?

http://uk.zepto.com/Default.aspx?page=NotebookSummaryPage&notebookid=u1czezshIM8xYjXUsjW

i saw that one a while back and it looks AWESOME. should be fully compatible

best thing is, it doesnt come with windows!

mips
November 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
m to exist, according to Froogle..

Sorry, T60p. T61p should be coming soon... ;)

Flamekebab
November 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
http://uk.zepto.com/Default.aspx?page=NotebookSummaryPage&notebookid=u1czezshIM8xYjXUsjW

I am stunned. That is one amazing bit of kit!
I may have to look into that one more.

Any other suggestions? Anything to beat the price and performance of that beast?

Choad
November 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I am stunned. That is one amazing bit of kit!
I may have to look into that one more.

Any other suggestions? Anything to beat the price and performance of that beast?
oooh crikey they are promoting it too now! 47 quid off. i thought it was good before!

darkhatter
November 27th, 2006, 12:46 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

why would you edit video and a laptop to begin with. Can you provide some more information, what kind of software are you going to use, do you want it to be 64-bit, are you going to be editing HD. Getting a desktop computer will serve you better but perhaps you have another reason for the laptop.

Flamekebab
November 27th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm a student and I also travel a lot. Having a desktop is unfeasible, both in space terms, but also in convenience and power consumption terms.

More information, well, erm, preferably x86 as it seems Ubuntu currently has better support for x86 than AMD64.

I'd be using Kino, Avidemux and possibly Cinelerra (and one day, maybe Diva..).

I doubt I'd be bothering with HD, DVD resolution would be adequate.

mips
November 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
More information, well, erm, preferably x86 as it seems Ubuntu currently has better support for x86 than AMD64.

:rolleyes: I dunno whether I should laugh or cry reading that statement. What is it based on ?

Intel Core 2 Duo has the performance lead currently.

Flamekebab
February 20th, 2007, 02:25 AM

I bought it, one of their top of the range laptops, it's absolutely fantastic..

Skia_42
February 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I don;t know if you have already seen these guys, they make good computers with hardware that is guarenteed to work with Ubuntu www.system76.com