PDA

View Full Version : gedit indentation

Dale Gerdemann
November 26th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Can gedit do smart indentation? I see that it has something called "auto indentation" but that doesn't seem to do anything useful for programming. So to be clear, I'd like to be able to hit my tab key anywhere in a line and see that line automatically go to the right level of indentation.

Related to this, I would like to be able to hit Enter ↵ and see my cursor jump to the right level of indentation. Is there a way to get gedit to do this?

What I'm also missing in gedit is a way to reload a file. Assuming that gedit doesn't provide a way to automatically format my program code, I would like to be able to quickly run my code through some tool that can do this task, and then reload it. Come to think about it, a process such as this ought to be simple to encode in a plugin. Or so I would think. I'm going to try to learn Python so that I can learn to do such things. But maybe somebody already has something?

Dale Gerdemann

skelooth
November 27th, 2006, 03:04 AM
IMO the K* tools are much better for programming and a lot more stable when working with large files.

So... you'd prolly be better off with something like kate, which is a text editor with an embedded terminal at the bottom, or even just using KDE. KDE has highlighting options for any language you could think of, plus it has a slew of editor options.

earobinson
November 27th, 2006, 03:07 AM
gedit dose not support this feature

Dale Gerdemann
November 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
IMO the K* tools are much better for programming and a lot more stable when working with large files.

So... you'd prolly be better off with something like kate, which is a text editor with an embedded terminal at the bottom, or even just using KDE. KDE has highlighting options for any language you could think of, plus it has a slew of editor options.

Well, I'm really an Emacs user, and I tried out gedit because I saw that it is really good at handling Unicode, even outside the BMP. It seems to be better than Emacs and also better than Kate. I'm teaching programming courses and some of my students use Kate. But none of them had found any way to format their programs by indenting all lines with one command (believe me, they need such a command). I finally told them to load their programs into Emacs, format, and then load back into Kate.

gedit is really good with Unicode. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to insert some mathematical symbols without cut-and-paste from another program.