PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the New Year

Circus-Killer
November 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Hey there guys.

Just thought I'de start a thread for suggestions on what we can get up to this upcoming year.

Personally, one of the things I'de like to see is the LocoTeam spreading and strengthening in all the major cities. We also need to start thinking about unified plans across the country.

If the Durban crew decide to hold an installfest, so should the other cities. These are just some simple things I'de like to see get done. But lets just get the ideas flowing for the New Year.

hoagie
November 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I would like to see system 76 delivering their products worldwide, and not only in America. I mean why is Europe and other regions like Africa left out?

morgs
November 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Hey there guys.

Just thought I'de start a thread for suggestions on what we can get up to this upcoming year.

Personally, one of the things I'de like to see is the LocoTeam spreading and strengthening in all the major cities. We also need to start thinking about unified plans across the country.

If the Durban crew decide to hold an installfest, so should the other cities. These are just some simple things I'de like to see get done. But lets just get the ideas flowing for the New Year.

Absolutely! Local meetups / installfests would be great.

Perhaps an Ubuntu Open Day for ZA?

I'm sure I can get a venue for Cape Town...

Morgan

Circus-Killer
November 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Absolutely! Local meetups / installfests would be great.

Perhaps an Ubuntu Open Day for ZA?

I'm sure I can get a venue for Cape Town...

Morgan

well, i'de have to look into a venue for joburg. but that's exactly the type of thing i'm talking about.

with just a little planning and some effort, we can really get things moving.

mips
November 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I would like to see system 76 delivering their products worldwide, and not only in America. I mean why is Europe and other regions like Africa left out?

Why not just buy Asus locally. It's the same thing System76 sells (rebadged) and it would be much cheaper than shipping/importing.

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
well, that is another issue i think we should and can address in the upcoming year. not only will holding an ubuntu day be great to convince shops to start selling boxes with ubuntu pre-installed (invite shop-owners to the event), but also to just go around from store to store, and speaking to head-offices of franchises to help make them see the light.

i think with just a little bit of convincing, computer shops would give it a try. all you need is to convince them to install ubuntu on one or two of their demo machines, and to give people the choice of whether they want windows or ubuntu pre-loaded.

sKuarecircle
November 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I own my own Office Automation Company, I really want to press Linux out there on my clients but find the hurdle ( read: learning curve) just a bit steep!

Any feedback to overcome this would be greatly appreciated.

Used Dapper Drake, in fact still do, and I find it really stable, but, do I want to place my companies rep on it!!!

Dont know

morgs
November 29th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I own my own Office Automation Company, I really want to press Linux out there on my clients but find the hurdle ( read: learning curve) just a bit steep!

What do you think would help? Training courses? Online training? Better documentation?

Meetups with other Ubuntu users?

diepruis
December 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'd like to find some local distributors of laptops with Ubuntu preloaded, for one. Preferably cheap, second hand models - I don't need much.