PDA

View Full Version : Help Teens understand Linux! Forum

Frak
November 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
-snip- unrelevant

majikstreet
November 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM
This sounds like an interesting project. (I'm 13 and I've been using linux off and on since I was about 11)

Anyway, good luck! I'm signing up now.

MedivhX
November 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I'm going to sign up too...

PriceChild
November 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'll have a look :)

Wondering if this aim could be represented on the frontpage?

Stew2
November 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Great idea! Good luck with it :D

Regards,
Stew2

meng
November 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Aren't we more in need of a Teens Helping Oldies Understand Linux Forum?

Frak
November 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
snip

zgornel
November 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Dennis Ritchie is an oldie too... :D

EdThaSlayer
November 26th, 2006, 05:49 PM
This sounds very interesting. Iam going to join this forum very soon.

meng
November 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
My comment is tongue-in-cheek. I am an oldie myself, and I bet there are plenty of teens could teach me more than a few tricks.

_simon_
November 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
It appears to be down.

Before your forum takes off you might want to look at this software instead: http://www.simplemachines.org/ it has a lot more features as standard over phpbb. You can also attach a portal: http://www.tinyportal.net

Frak
November 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
snip

Frak
November 26th, 2006, 08:00 PM
snip

Frak
November 27th, 2006, 02:38 AM
snip

Skia_42
November 27th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I think this is a great idea and I will definatly check out the forums but I do not think age has anything to do with it. I myself am 16, and have been using Ubuntu for less then a year. I have self taught everything I know and definatly need more learning. I think a forum aimed towards beginners wanting to learn more then the essentials is needed, not exclusivly teenagers.

Frak
November 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
snip

Frak
November 27th, 2006, 11:36 PM
snip

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Just added some distro's from distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.com/) to the forum

*** remove advertissement ***

;-) And please help add more distro's to the list with your own touch;-)

plugitin
December 1st, 2006, 02:46 AM
Started using Fedora Core when I was fourteen, now I'm 16 and moved to Ubuntu. Awesome idea, mabye some of these geriatric memebers can help me! (Okay mabye that was harsh)

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 02:48 AM
Lol! maybe a bit;-)

daynah
December 1st, 2006, 03:37 AM
Sorry to point out something depressing... but starting up any teen project, you need to be sensitive to the fact that anytime there is a large group of teens advertising themselves as teens, there are going to be a lot of older people looking to take advantage of this "menu."

There's not really a way around it if you do want to target teens. You could not allow teens to reveal their age or birthdate. Not allow any instant message information posted (bad people can just im you out of the blue). Possibly have private messages actually be able to be viewed by moderators (letting the users know about this ahead of time) and any time someone trades im information through pm, remind the users, "Hey, I'm a mod and we check over your PMs for teen safety. We noticed you traded IM information with so and so. I hope you get the Linux help you need from them. But also, remember that if these people aren't exactly who they say they are, all they need is the name of whatever sports team you play on, and they know exactly where to find you."

Yes, these people can easily do this at the Ubuntu forums, too, but it doesn't scream "Hey, there's 100% teen teen teen!" so it wont attract trouble in the same way.

I'm paranoid because I've had trouble like this personally over and over and over again, even when I thought I was being safe. Someone showed up at the comic book store I used to work at because of the background of a picture of me. And I'm one of the oldest girls in a youth service organization and I monitor their myspaces, livejournals, facebooks BLAH and all their comments to try to make sure everything is okay.

You may not want to do all that, of course, but just ponder it. I'm very mother hen. :)

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 04:13 AM
snip

Frak
December 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
snip

Frak
December 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
snip