PDA

View Full Version : Could The Transition Go Unnoticed

CheshireMac
November 26th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Hey . . .Any chance I could turn Windows over to Ubuntu but in a way that the VERY basic user would hardly see a difference:confused: My friends computer is really messed up, and theres no fixing it in sight . . .its wicked slow for no reason that I can see . . .run current anti-virus . . .checked the internet and everything . . .only solution I see is getting rid of Windows . . .any thoughts:confused:

fritz_monroe
November 26th, 2006, 04:42 AM
You could try Kbuntu. KDE is a bit closer to Windows than Gnome. That's one of the reasons that I went for a distro with Gnome. I wanted away from the same old stuff.

I doubt that even using KDE would be transparent to a user. Good luck with the changeover and keep us updated on how it goes.

frup
November 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
well you are going to need at least wine... although cedega or crossover might be more successful.

You are going to want to find an XP skin,
You are going to want to get every single icon and rename each program to its windows equivalent...
Maybe tell him that you've installed some advanced anti-virus thing so he thinks that all programs that won't work under wine are viruses :P

insane_alien
November 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
it can be done but requires you changing XP to look more like (K)ubuntu and changing ubuntu to meet at a half way point.

i done it over 3 months and nobody really noticed.

IncomingFire
November 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I remember PHLAK (www.phlak.org/) used to have a Windows theme, it looked pretty horrible at the time but I don't know if they've updated it, and since I'm at work I can't view it because oh noez its hacking.