PDA

View Full Version : Are We Ready For Vista?

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:37 AM
No doubt Microsoft is preparing for their biggest marketing/advertising campaign ever. How is the Linux community going to deal with this? Can we counter the massive campaign which is about to begin? Are we just gonna set back and let Microsoft pwn in the marketing field again?

Albi
November 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I don't think Ubuntu is ready to be accepted by someone who wants to just put the CD in, click next 50 times, and expect everything to work, so I say we improve it before the marketting starts

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:44 AM
You have a point there.... The marketing behind Ubuntu isn't too bad. I guess they would have more money to advertise if they spend less on the CD's but that would mean there would have to be a self-burning iso or a windows installer so that dummies could make their own cds easily. Easse of use still has a wee bit to go though.

IYY
November 26th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Nobody switches to Windows from Ubuntu, so this is not a competition in the traditional sense. Their ads will not help them maintain their users.

barsanuphe
November 26th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I dont think we can compete on the marketing level with microsoft. Expect them to drown everyone with vista propaganda in the near future, and expect a large majority of people to upgrade just because they heard it was out.
Ubuntu and Linux in general compete in another way. We grow one person at a time, one company at a time, as long as shipping computers with linux preinstalled isn't the norm (and microsoft makes sure that it doesnt).
vista wont take linux users away. it will just prey on windows users. we just have to convince them one at a time, whatever version they use.

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 02:01 AM
It's gonna be a lot hard to convert people just after they've paid lots of $$$ for a new o/s so we need to get them before they do it.

Kernel Sanders
November 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM
More importantly, is Vista ready for the people? :p

Since the answer is clearly NO, I predict quite a lot of whining over MS's new OS! :mrgreen:

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I found out that because my laptop only has 512 system ram I can't run the new aero interface. I have to come up with more money that I don't have to get more ram, I for one am not happy

Dual Cortex
November 26th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I found out that because my laptop only has 512 system ram I can't run the new aero interface. I have to come up with more money that I don't have to get more ram, I for one am not happy

It's not the RAM, it's your vid card.
My desktop with 512MB RAM and a 7300LE can run Vista with the Aero interface while my other desktop with 768MB RAM and a 9200LE is not supposed to support it.

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I have a geforce go 6100, the nvidia web site says it works with vista, Vista is having trouble detecting my laptop hardware anyway so that could be the reason. I tried the RC2

maddog39
November 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM
More importantly, is Vista ready for the people? :p

Since the answer is clearly NO, I predict quite a lot of whining over MS's new OS! :mrgreen:
Hahaha, I heavily agree with this statement. :D

addicted68098
November 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Sit back, relax, and watch Microsoft destroy itself, we all know that in I-Robot where they replaced the normal robots with the evil robots for free, Microsoft is doing the same thing. Vista may easily be the least stable, most insecure system yet. They think leaving their roots behind will help the situation, but really it won't. Also Microsoft isn't doing anything new, so many people won't see a reason to upgrade.

Stock up on Windows XP, it may save us from evil Vista, personally I think Ubuntu is the only operating system that can save us, so I have been stockpiling burnt Ubuntu CD's for the past year and half,

K.Mandla
November 26th, 2006, 05:10 AM
By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.
;)

Albi
November 26th, 2006, 05:14 AM
It's not the RAM, it's your vid card.
My desktop with 512MB RAM and a 7300LE can run Vista with the Aero interface while my other desktop with 768MB RAM and a 9200LE is not supposed to support it.

thats bs...beryl would run just fine with the 9200, and it does much more than aero

AlphaMack
November 26th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Stock up on Windows XP

I have to upgrade to a laptop sometime in the future and migrate away from Apple. I'll be damned if it has Vista as XP is more than sufficient for the "just in case" scenario (when I need a Windows app that won't run in WINE).

In the end, however, that is how we're going to have Vista users - from OEMs.

aysiu
November 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Moved to Windows discussions.

tomcheng76
November 26th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Never thought that i will use vista on my PC.
It forces me to update my whole system.
why do i need to use vista?
Just for Aero and DX10?
No way. i have Beryl already
and my DX7 card cant play DX9 already.
Just wait for DX10 shrinks, as ppl will use OpenGL :D

kvonb
November 26th, 2006, 08:00 AM
vista? what vista? :cool:

newbie2
November 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Or, to put it another way, Microsoft has taken control of your computer and decided what you may and may not do with it - even though you have bought a licensed copy of Vista from a reputable dealer.

You think I jest? Well, here's a true story, from a real company with which I have links. An engineer had installed the final beta version of Vista to check that the company's products would run under the new system. He had no need to connect his computer to the net - he was just testing applications in standalone mode. Then one day, his machine froze. All he could do was run a browser. But in order to connect to the net to 'activate' Vista, he needed to install an Ethernet [network] driver - which of course he was unable to do because Vista had disabled everything except the browser.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html
:twisted:

dude420
November 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi, I just started using ubuntu a couple of weeks ago and on my desktop its great, laptop is a diff story](*,) . But anyways I've been using windows for years now and did think about vista until I read this article

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

Made up my mind for me. I'll just slowly migrate over to linux. Only really use windows for games anymore anyway.

zetetic
November 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
dude420 said:

«Made up my mind for me. I'll just slowly migrate over to linux.»

Why slowly migrating to Linux? I was a Windows (or DOS) power user and administrator for more than 15 years, and I've migrated to Linux from one night to the other!

I've made backups of all my documents, formated windows partitions, and installed Linux.

I have 2 computers and 5 harddrives! I could install Linux and maintain 2 ou 3 Windows Installations (where I live only complete idiots buy Windows licenses, anyway).

But I've choose not to do it! I've formated all Windows partitions, from one night to the other.

So why "slowly migrating to Windows". Off course I respect this slowliness, I just don't get it.

zetetic

AlphaMack
November 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM
So why "slowly migrating to Windows". Off course I respect this slowliness, I just don't get it.

Simple. Different strokes for different folks.

srafx
November 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I installed the beta, and wasnt too impressed. Some new things, but its basically XP with a new look....little faster I think, if you have the right computer specs.

Here is a good article on Edgy vs Vista:
http://everythingelse.wordpress.com/2006/11/03/ubuntu-edgy-eft-vs-microsoft-windows-vista/

Brings out some good points like vista can ONLY be installed 5 times!! WTF?

Sefrin
November 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I know that no one in my family has the computer power to run Vista excluding my parents' new rig, they're wasting it, but they could care less about a new operating system. No one I know will be upgrading when their current OS runs their current hardware fine.

xpod
November 27th, 2006, 02:02 AM
The best decision i ever made was taking a pals old pc off her while we waited till this new vista thing came out before buying new...phew.

3 0r 4 other old-ish aquisitions later and im half way to the 6 i`ll eventually need all now with great free OS`s doing the sort of stuff i`d have no doubt paid through the nose for for next year......if at all!

The folks i acquired my pc`s from are a bit mythed to say the least when they see how well their old pc`s are working in comparison to the new ones they replaced them with back at the start of the year.

Oh well....what can i say:-\"
Only "Vistas" this house will now see is the great ones from the top of the London eye when we go next week.
Most folks i know with pc`s would`nt be rushing out to upgrade anyway and would only ever end up with Vista if they bought a new pc once it was released.My mother in law had`nt even heard of "Vista"

kvonb
November 27th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I love the new EULA, if it lives up to what people are claiming, it will be the best thing for Linux yet!

I can't wait for the calls from customers complaining that they're locked out of their computers :D, "Yes sir, that's because Microsoft have decided that you have a stolen copy of Windows, I can give you their phone number".

I'm confident that well over 50% of Windows users are running a pirate copy. I also believe (from what I've read on the 'net) that Microsoft will be issuing an "update" to XP which will enable the same EULA provisions as Vista.

Go Microsoft! ;)

di0rz`
November 27th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Nobody switches to Windows from Ubuntu, so this is not a competition in the traditional sense. Their ads will not help them maintain their users.

They have a very nice weapon, the OEM. Try to buy a computer without windows in a noob computer shop it is very dificult.
So I have been two time a customer of microsoft in my life but it didnt want this ****.

The question is, OEM, nice present or thief industry !

i vote for second answer :(

zetetic
November 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
srafx said:

«ts basically XP with a new look....little faster I think, if you have the right computer specs»

Well, it seems you could work for Microsoft's marketing department (no offense intended, I'm just kidding my friend). :)

I'm earing Steve Balmmer whispering on my ears: "Trust me, I've never lied, Vista is faster... as long as you have the right hardware". :)

And then Steve Balmmer continues: "you say Vista isn't faster then XP? That's because you don't have the right hadware, so the problem is at your end".

I mean, if you have to own much better hardware in order for Vista to run faster then XP, then you can not state Vista is faster then XP...

We must compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges.

You must install Vista on the exactly some harware you installed XP, and then make de comparisons.

zetetic

KiwiNZ
November 27th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I heard the same for Win 95 , Win 2000 , XP , and in the end they were all very successful.

Take it from a long time very good sales person , you do not sell your products by knocking the opposition.

Vista will be very successful.

AlphaMack
November 27th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Vista will be very successful.

Thanks to preinstalled copies shoved down every new computer buyer's throat.

truico
November 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks to preinstalled copies shoved down every new computer buyer's throat.

:rolleyes: No. we are not going to bash Vista itself. It will probably run just fine. It is just the marketing ("free" with every new rigg, among other things) we hate and the tricks of the monopolist to manipulate us, just like the pigs in Animal Farm.
The only difference between Vista and Ubuntu is probably the same as driving an automatic car or one with a gear-lever. I love the latest.
A few years ago I started with Suse (hard!), then took Linspire (too commercial) and now I am an EdgyEftress. I still have XP on a partition, but since Dapper Drake I never used it. I'm a grandmother and installed Ubuntu on my daughter's pc... I mean: indeed, the victory of UBUNTU will go from desktop to desktop, from old to young and vice versa. And Balmer??? Poor thing!:KS

kvonb
November 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
truico: I'm a grandmother and installed Ubuntu on my daughter's pc...

...good on yer! :D

Sefrin
November 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
And then Steve Balmmer continues: "you say Vista isn't faster then XP? That's because you don't have the right hadware, so the problem is at your end".

Hehe, speaks volumes.

AllenGG
November 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Hey Bubba ! I'm gittin Vista, yassir, if ole Steve say its better,then by golly, must be so. Giytin me a new 'puter at Wal-muck too.
Have been callin ever-body "Bubba" since the ack-see-dent, fell on my head off'n the barn roof. Soo git with the program Bubba, git Vista.

56phil
November 29th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Ready for Vista? Me? Heck no. Am I worried? Heck no. Should I be worried if I have Linux? Heck no.

If you don't like "heck" just replace it with an expletive of you choice.

the.dark.lord
November 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Ready for Vista? Me? Heck no. Am I worried? Heck no. Should I be worried if I have Linux? Heck no.

If you don't like "heck" just replace it with an expletive of you choice.

Can't argue with that. Watch out for Ballmer. :D

LOL ;)

srafx
November 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
srafx said:

«ts basically XP with a new look....little faster I think, if you have the right computer specs»

Well, it seems you could work for Microsoft's marketing department (no offense intended, I'm just kidding my friend). :)

I'm earing Steve Balmmer whispering on my ears: "Trust me, I've never lied, Vista is faster... as long as you have the right hardware". :)

I mean, if you have to own much better hardware in order for Vista to run faster then XP, then you can not state Vista is faster then XP...

We must compare apples with apples, not apples with oranges.

You must install Vista on the exactly some harware you installed XP, and then make de comparisons.

zetetic

Damn, I do sound like I work for Microsoft. lol. I was thinking about my statement and right when I installed it I upgraded my PC. So I dont really know if its faster. Either way, I wasnt impressed at all.

I'm way to greedy for my Beryl :)

Eddie Wilson
November 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm looking forward to Vista. Vista will make a lot of money. FOR ME! I've been repairing computers running Microsoft software for many years. I'm sure my side business will be booming soon. I use Ubuntu and Kubuntu at home. Also you would be shocked to see what people will pay to use Windows. I try to turn them, some I can and some I can't. Thats the way of the world.:-({|=
Eddie