PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is not number one -- its still Red Hat

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
:confused: :confused: I'm getting really confused. If Novell can barely touch Red Hat.....

I just want to know when this happened and whats Red Hats response to this.

P.S. I need someone to get a answer in before the flamewar starts

meng
November 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Number one in what?

highneko
November 26th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I just want to know when this happened and whats Red Hats response to this.

What happened? Did you forget to add links maybe? They should respond to your post?! Hehe.

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Number one in what? Where are you getting your figures from?

InsomniacUK
November 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM
:confused: :confused: I'm getting really confused.

You are? :-?

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM
sorry. I was reading the thread on the OpenSuSE issue, and I noticed that a few users kept stating that Ubuntu was now the number one distro. I don't have any article to prove it, if I did it would be in the news not here

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I dunno if this is the best source but I usually go to http://distrowatch.com to find out about distro popularity since it's a popular site for ALL distros.

InsomniacUK
November 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
sorry. I was reading the thread on the OpenSuSE issue, and I noticed that a few users kept stating that Ubuntu was now the number one distro. I don't have any article to prove it, if I did it would be in the news not here

Well, it's certainly more popular among newcomers than Red Hat. Red Hat might have a bigger overall market share, but it's been around a lot longer than Ubuntu and is already the base OS for many servers.

I think Ubuntu is certainly the most popular Linux distro around at the moment.

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Distrowatch is based on clicks

highneko
November 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I have never used ret hat, and have no reason to dislike it, but according to distrowatch ubuntu has the most hits per day, and red hat is far down there, I had to scroll for a while, maybe ten seconds reading distributions just to find it. Some people may say this means nothing, and that most users are idiots, and maybe it's true, but this is more than just words. ;)

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I dunno where you get your Google trend idea from but that doesn't chnage anything. I'm not much of a google fan but Google is the most popular search engine, maybe even the most visited site in the world. That means their trends would be more reflective of the real world than anything else.

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Well, it's certainly more popular among newcomers than Red Hat. Red Hat might have a bigger overall market share, but it's been around a lot longer than Ubuntu and is already the base OS for many servers.

I think Ubuntu is certainly the most popular Linux distro around at the moment.

where did you get your numbers from? I've read articles that say Red Hat is dying, and articles that say Red Hat is doing fine :confused:

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I dunno where you get your Google trend idea from but that doesn't chnage anything. I'm not much of a google fan but Google is the most popular search engine, maybe even the most visited site in the world. That means their trends would be more reflective of the real world than anything else.

that was a mistake the post should be edited by now, and google trends is based on how many times people look for ubuntu, I don't know anything about google trends

Johnsie
November 26th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I think this whole thread was a mistake. I'm gonna let it die...

fuscia
November 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM
confusing enterprise with desktop interest?

InsomniacUK
November 26th, 2006, 01:26 AM
where did you get your numbers from? I've read articles that say Red Hat is dying, and articles that say Red Hat is doing fine :confused:

I didn't quote any numbers. I am basing this on forum and blog activity relating to Linux, coverage in the major UK computer press, people I have spoken to on MSN, and the fact that websites that offer Linux as well as Windows software will often offer specific Ubuntu packages, because presumably they feel it's what most average people are using these days.

darkhatter
November 26th, 2006, 01:26 AM
confusing enterprise with desktop interest?

thats what I think is happening

PilotJLR
November 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Red Hat is not dying... they are doing very well in the enterprise and military markets.

Ubuntu has a much greater desktop or end user focus, so it gets a lot of attention that way.

I personally think both distributions are excellent... it's more a matter of what you need in your given environment.

robobomb#1
April 1st, 2008, 03:50 AM
You cant compare the two they are tailored at different user bases. Ubuntu is for everyday desktop use while Red Hat is enterprise and commercial servers.[-X

tubasoldier
April 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM
There is an obvious misunderstanding of the distros and where they are number 1.
Red Hat is by far the number one linux server, in sales and usage.
Ubuntu has taken the Linux desktop by storm. Most newcomers to Linux now use Ubuntu. Fedora Core is also a nice desktop and in some ways a bit more polished than Ubuntu. A lot of the newer graphical tools for Ubuntu have come directly from Red Hat, although Canonical has put a lot of work in them to do things the Debian way.

When it comes right down to it Ubuntu hasn't made Canonical much money at all. Red Hat, in spite of Suse's sale to the dark side, is still growing in revenue.

BOBSONATOR
April 1st, 2008, 04:17 AM
why did you resurect this thread?

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
Red Hat is the top ENTERPRISE Linux distro.