PDA

View Full Version : Windows addicts/zombies and Uncritical minds

zetetic
November 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Although I'm new to this extraordinary Ubuntu Forums, I'm fed up with some Windows zombies or Windows addicts that seems to come here for only one of these two reasons:

a)to discharge their frustrations about a foreign (to this Forum) operating system (Windows) to whom they seem to mantain a paranoic relationship of Love/Hate and addiction/repulsion.

Many of this people even come here begging for help with problems created by Windows, only to say, after getting the help they needed, that they like Linux but only Windows "is ready for de desktop"...

Usually they think Linux is "not ready for the desktop", only because they can't run on Linux one or two applications (so they seem also to have a psicopatic addiction to one or two specific applications) or because they can't play on Linux some fancy games (I can't comment on this cause I don't know what is the age of those people...).

b) to discharge their frustrations about a great and free operating system (GNU/Linux), which they can't really use or can't use as the only or main operating system, because they are not prepared to it (either because they do not have the required knowledge and don't want to learn, or because they simply don't understand the polithics, ethics and philosophy of Linux).

Most of these people think an operating system should behave just like a Television or a wash machine. And they also think they have the right to learn about Linux, in a few hours, by osmosis, the same they required years to learn on Windows.

Well, that said, I will give you an example of the kind of posts I'm talking about.
The following is a very recent post, by someone who has quite a decent amount os posts (Beans) here:

On the same thread, created by him, and with the tile "Windows Broke Itself And My Patience" unlokia wrote the following to posts, separated by a few hours:

Quote:
I had to (unfortunately) install ******* today - to do some 3DS MAX rendering... or should I say *tried* to install
I never EVER wanted to see ******* on my pc EVER again, but now I am ADAMENT that this is the VERY last time I shall use it for ANYTHING!!.
You live and learn as they say, and yeah... win is NEVER getting on my pc EVER AGAIN!!!»

After a few hours (quote):
«I removed the label, installed XP HOME OEM on my laptop *AGAIN*, activated, patched/updated and now I am up and running once more.
I NEED and WANT to use XP
A blind chimpanzee with no arms could install XP.
If M$ open-sourced XP/Vista/etc I would probably stick to XP for the main part,
I used to think Linux was *mainstream*-public desktop ready, but come ON, let us all face facts... it is amazing, and has its uses indeed, but it IS NOT ready for the public. In the sense of one click installation ease of use, XP wins hands down, WITHOUT fail!.»

Well, attitudes like this deserve no comments. But we should all think about this kind os things.

Shouldn't the type of people I'm talking about be politely invited to use Windows forums instead?
Should we be forced to stand these kind of frustrations, usually from people that simply don't understand the phylosophy of Linux?

Although Linux is so much technically superior to Windows, that superiority should not be the main reason for someone to switch from Windows to Linux! The main reason should always be the commitment or devotion and understanding of Linux philosophy, polithics and ethics!!!

Or do we live in a world of zombbies, who don't care about principles but only about the cold confort of resignation, abdication, leisure, uncritical thought and reprodution of establishment??

zetetics

PS: sorry, english is not my native language...

Biggus
November 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Uh, I wouldn't let it worry you too much dude.

I'm fairly surprised by the number of threads in the forum here relating to Windows.

I installed Ubuntu to get away from Windows.

If people want to use it, that's their choice, although, as I have said, I do think it odd that windows is referenced so frequently here.

Personally, I simply choose to ignore windows now.

qalimas
November 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I agree, when I try to get someone to use Linux, I hand them a CD (sometimes I'll install it for them) and simply say, if you like it enough, if you want to use it that badly, you'll learn it on your own. Now, if they honestly try, I'm more than ready to help them out, in fact I'm happy to do it.. after they prove they WANT to do it because they want to, not because they are in a little tantrum over Windows xD

maddog39
November 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Okay, well I just have to say that I'm a gamer and I can run Steam/HL2/CS:S on linux in wine with no problem. That is two of the biggest PC games out there. There are also guides on sites like linux-gamers.net (i think thats the site) on getting PC games to run in Wine.

deepwave
November 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Most people around equate Windows addicts with well-intentioned trolls. The only known peace-of-mind remedies is:
a) tell me them to stick around. quietly.
b) ignore them.

In either case, the zombies/trolls will either convert into Penguinauts or wander off to troll somewhere else.

There is an option c), for the saintly and infinitely patient.
c) Point the error of their ways. [Do this gently though.]

prizrak
November 25th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Although Linux is so much technically superior to Windows, that superiority should not be the main reason for someone to switch from Windows to Linux! The main reason should always be the commitment or devotion and understanding of Linux philosophy, polithics and ethics!!!
A computer is a tool and that tool was created to do useful work. If said tool does not do the required work it is useless. If Linux works better for me (and it does on the desktop) than Windows I will use it. If Windows works better for me (and it does on the tablet) then I will use that. Erecting philosophy and principles around computers is like saying that you should buy General Motors instead of a BMW because the latter were building airplanes for Nazis in WW2. It is completely disregarding the purpose of that tool.

Biggus
November 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Erecting philosophy and principles around computers is like saying that you should buy General Motors instead of a BMW because the latter were building airplanes for Nazis in WW2. It is completely disregarding the purpose of that tool.

Indeed, one of the other reasons that I installed Ubuntu is that I did not agree with the policies or aims of Microsoft, so I choose not to use their products.

It is a similar to the situation whereby some people choose cosmetics which have not been tested on animals, over those which have, irrespective of the relative merits of the effectiveness of the product in question.

Ethics, I think it is called, and I believe Microsoft not to be an ethical organisation.

argie
November 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM
A computer is a tool and that tool was created to do useful work. If said tool does not do the required work it is useless. If Linux works better for me (and it does on the desktop) than Windows I will use it. If Windows works better for me (and it does on the tablet) then I will use that. Erecting philosophy and principles around computers is like saying that you should buy General Motors instead of a BMW because the latter were building airplanes for Nazis in WW2. It is completely disregarding the purpose of that tool.
I see where you're coming from, but I think it is essential that you support the principles behind the tool even if it is only from a completely selfish view.

For example, without the principle of Free Software, this "tool that does useful work" well would not exist. By supporting this principle you are supporting the system. This tool is only there because of that principle.

aysiu
November 25th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Moved to Windows discussions, and I'm watching this one closely in case it turns into a flame war. I may merge this with the "Linux desktop readiness thread," too because the discussion may eventually end up exactly where you don't want it to go...

cantormath
November 25th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Although I'm new to this extraordinary Ubuntu Forums, I'm fed up with some Windows zombies or Windows addicts that seems to come here for only one of these two reasons:

a)to discharge their frustrations about a foreign (to this Forum) operating system (Windows) to whom they seem to mantain a paranoic relationship of Love/Hate and addiction/repulsion.

b) to discharge their frustrations about a great and free operating system (GNU/Linux), which they can't really use or can't use as the only or main operating system, because they are not prepared to it (either because they do not have the required knowledge and don't want to learn, or because they simply don't understand the polithics, ethics and philosophy of Linux).

AMEN TO THAT BRO!
This post should become a sticky Thread!](*,)

cantormath
November 25th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I think it is essential that you support the principles behind the tool even if it is only from a completely selfish view.

For example, without the principle of Free Software, this "tool that does useful work" well would not exist. By supporting this principle you are supporting the system. This tool is only there because of that principle.

The real issue, IMO, is that the MS users that come to complain expect customer service from the forum, and are rude. If they want that kind of support, they should get the single user support package for 250 dollars or whatever it is.

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I do not agree with the wholesale bashing of Windows user .

Also refer to th enotice at the top of this Forum....

"Windows Discussions Discuss the Windows operating system here. Please do not use this as a bashing area"

So I am going to close this before it gets out of hand

cantormath
November 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I agree, when I try to get someone to use Linux, I hand them a CD (sometimes I'll install it for them) and simply say, if you like it enough, if you want to use it that badly, you'll learn it on your own. Now, if they honestly try, I'm more than ready to help them out, in fact I'm happy to do it.. after they prove they WANT to do it because they want to, not because they are in a little tantrum over Windows xD

I think we as a community need to do more then just had out cd if we are going to convert the world. We need to help them use it and install it and learn it, or else they will never switch.