PDA

View Full Version : Is Edgy too buggy release for you ?

burek
November 25th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Is Edgy too buggy release for you ?

Just curiousity and open question
(Certainly I hope reply will be "not at all"...)

matthew
November 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
It's been very stable for me.

GStubbs43
November 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
The only problem I have is my laptop disconnects from the internet randomly and the only way to turn it back on is to restart my computer. Other than that, it works perfectly. :-D

stuh84
November 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM
On the Contrary, it works better for me than Dapper ever did, I had wireless working instantly on my Desktop with it, and my laptop wouldn't play with NDISWrapper, or the BCM43XX Firmware Cutter, in Dapper, but now it works fine in Edgy, sometimes it takes a bit of playing with to get it to connect, but most times I log on it goes in straight away.

Also Beryl & AIGLX on the Desktop are superb, way better than XGL + Compiz could ever have hoped to be.

I did clean installs though, most peoples problems are with upgrades it seems.

Somenoob
November 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I have not encountered a single problem so far, been quite stable. I love how it's a bit faster than Dapper.

PilotJLR
November 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it's very stable for me as well. Only had a couple small problems that are fairly easy to fix.

robotzu2
November 25th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yes, of course. Now I'm using Dapper.

neowolf
November 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Too buggy for me, the tty won't accept caps lock from my keyboard, the nvidia drivers don't work and the network management tool is a pain. Lots of trivial issues stack up to make it just not fun to use. Putting all restricted modules together in one big package makes it difficult to know what is really being loaded and what isn't.

tenn
November 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
There is a heap of topics about Edgy being unstable but this is non existent for me it is just another version.
The only problem I have is that Bluefish will not save.

PryGuy
November 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I like Edgy. It's a bit faster and easier to use. Dapper is preferable for the corporate users IMHO.

slimdog360
November 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM
good for me

drphilngood
November 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I liked everything but the new Firefox, so I installed Iceweasel and now I´m totally happy with it.

djsroknrol
November 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I find Edgy not so much buggy as it feels not very stable for my liking...My wireless was more of a chore setting up.

I'll wait for Fiesty, thank you....

deep.tinker77
November 25th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Edgy has been my first step in the world of linux, and I'm discovering more every day. I flat out love it, no problems....well, no problems that I didn't cause because I didn't know what I was doing.

Dual Cortex
November 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
It's been stable, just annoyed that the nv drivers do not work (at installation) with my 7300LE on Edgy, but they did work on Dapper!
This isn't really a problem now, but the first time it happened my Linux knowledge wasn't a third of what it is now.

Another annoying bug is that my CX5400's scanner is not recognized in Edgy [and it IS recognized in Dapper... got it working now though through a temporary fix I found on launchpad (pretty much downgrading libsane)]

InsomniacUK
November 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The live CD is a disaster, but Edgy itself is okay once you get it up and running.

AndyCooll
November 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Been using it for the last couple of weeks now and found it to be very stable.

Whenever I do an install there are usually a couple of things I have to sort out and Edgy was no better or worse. One of my wireless cards isn't supported out of the box, and of course there was the FF bug. Once I'd got these figured them out everything has been fine.

:cool:

hobieone
November 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
very stable on both my laptop and desktop machines. and actually had fewer issues with it that ai did with dapper

K.Mandla
November 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
It's been stable, just annoyed that the nv drivers do not work (at installation) with my 7300LE on Edgy, but they did work on Dapper!
I had a similar problem with the nvidia-glx drivers on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop with a 64Mb Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go. I probably should have taken the time to figure out what the problem was, but that particular computer is my fallback machine, and I didn't care to run into any other quirks. So Dapper went back on. I'm happy with that.

All my other machines run Edgy or Feisty. :mrgreen:

wastrel
November 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I looooove Edgy. Can't think of any major problems I've had with Edgy over Dapper... and the Palm sync bug from Dapper is fixed in Edgy.

So no, it's not too buggy for me.

chimay1
November 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM

Just curiousity and open question
(Certainly I hope reply will be "not at all"...)

I am using dapper, I had to many problems with edgy. Im not sure why they say keep saying edgy is so stable. I wasnt for me

adam.tropics
November 26th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Some initial drama with Firefox, but now that's sorted, all good.

BarfBag
November 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
No problems here. Well... Firefox is a little unstable, but it always has been for me (this release seems better with this, though).

FyreBrand
November 26th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Edgy has been very stable for me and in some ways more so than Dapper. I really happy with it.

The only major problem I had was with the default open nvidia drivers. The closed drivers are really easy to install so it wasn't an issue for me.

sumguy231
November 26th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I've had a few problems but most of them were a product of:
1.) Old configuration files (I didn't do an entirely clean install)
2.) 3rd party repositories
3.) Stupidity on my behalf.

That said, I still haven't figured out why dhcp isn't working with my wireless card. Oh well, a static ip works too.

Absolom
November 26th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I've had very few problems with it other then the minor firefox bug at first easily fixed once I was told what was wrong.... For my 1st couple weeks I had witdrawl cause 2 programs I used alot on windows I couldn't get to work with wine but yesterday I installed vmware server and although it has a strange bug in it I love it ...I can use the 2 progs I need Win for and still have ubuntu running to collect my emails etc... I wish I didn't have to have Win installed even within the lil vmware coral but untill something better comes along it'll do..

Ok I think I've babbled a little off topic but is only cause I'm so happy to be at least mostly out from under the ******* tierany

Tipo
November 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM
It was very stable when I installed it on my box. However, there were just a few things about it that struck me as weird, not really bugs either. After upgrading from Dapper, it just seemed like my processor was working harder *all the time*. My box was running a higher temperature, running loudly, etc. I put Dapper back on it, it's quieter, cooler, just as stable, if not more.

qalimas
November 26th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I'm loving Edgy, have it on both my desktop and laptop now, and I have no problems with either. I have yet to try and configure my TV Tuner... but that didn't run in any other Ubuntu or Linux for that matter anyway. My laptop actually runs a lot nicer with Edgy; the laptop key support finally being included rocks =D

viper
November 26th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I did the upgrade before the official release that everyone was saying would break my system, well all went quite well, then a few minor issues like swap not mounting, x issues.(fixed pretty quickly)
All said and done i find Edgy very stable.

frup
November 26th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Not a single problem :) .. oh except that gimp shuts randomly occasionally
Speed is excellent and that minor gimp problem is definitely worth new versions of programs.

doobit
November 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
I have had ZERO problems with Edgy. I have had a problem or two some of the new package updates - Thunderbird in particular.
I compiled the 2.6.18.2 kernel for it and it just works great.

SonicSteve
November 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
I've only been using it for a few days now but...
The upgrade went exceptionally well, and to this point it's been better than Dapper.
Time will tell but so far so good, I'm quite happy with it.

Turtle.net
November 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM
No problem, for me its definitely a better release than Dapper

P_Badger
November 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM
It's been running very well for me. Yes.

pyros
November 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I've installed it on a desktop and now my new laptop. it's great as far as I'm concerned. However, one weird problem, during the install, it seems that edgy found updated drivers for my wireless card (restricted) but didn't install any. So when I went to add it in synaptic, it kept trying to connect through the nonfunctional card and download the new one instead of just getting it from the cd. easy enough to fix, and the increased stability with my nvidia card was well worth it.

mediax
November 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I've found it to be stable and prefer it to Dapper. :KS

I've also found that the number of random lockups I experience running video files has decreased significantly since upgrading.

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
should of made this a poll.

anyways, i've had no problems with edgy. worked great for me.

ixus_123
November 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Still got the DMA problem on a CD drive that I had in dapper - I can't switch it on. I turn DMA on with hdparm & about 15 seconds later it switches itself off again.

Firefox crashes a lot more than the dapper version. I get the odd problem with CD / DVDs not being recognised or not unmounting.

Nautilus seems a lot faster than it was in Dapper though which is good

It's usable & nothing is really a problem but I wouldn't consider it finished - dapper is far better as a finished product in my opinion

beast2k
November 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Kubuntu Edgy is a train wreck but ubuntu edgy is rock solid perfect as usual .I often find that ubuntu seems more stable and trouble free than kubuntu it must be a gnome vs kde thing does anyone else find that true? perhaps the kubuntu people need more development time because they use kde instead of gnome.

MattSMiddleton
November 29th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I had been using Edgy + Beryl for a good bit and just switched back to Dapper, my wireless works a good deal better (I have an IBM ThinkPad r52), however the thing that ended up being the reason I switched back was because of two things. #1 Edgy would freeze fairly often (ctrl+alt+backspace did nothing so I had to hard kill it) and #2 Firefox 2.0 hogged all of my resources.

beast2k
November 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
#2 Firefox 2.0 hogged all of my resources.
Interesting you should say that because I find in edgy that my performance in games like UT2004 is pausing once in a while in the game like something is running in the background. I wonder if there could be a connection.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 29th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'd say, for me at least, Edgy was much less problematic than dapper, both on this laptop (intel chipset, wired internet, P4) and on our desktop (AMD64, ATi graphics, via chipset, wireless). Dapper wouldn't even boot to the live cd load on the desktop machine, with edgy it was flawless. On this laptop, Edgy was much faster, detected my intel grpahics flawlessly, and just worked (tm).

patrick295767
December 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
problems have been posted with edgy

others tiny prbs with our beloved edgy that I could also discover and i d like to mention it:

- bbconf
not present anymore in the repos

- xearth
not present anymore in repos

- libs missing in the
obconf for openbox
problem of making the debs

- the networking stopping sometimes is really getting on my nerves when doing importnqt things

- xmms fonts problems

xopher
December 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM

Absolutely not ;) If there was a release between Edgy and Feisty, Id be using it. Feisty is still too broken for me, who is stupid enough to update everything that's thrown at me. :)

awakatanka
December 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
Got :

Camera that can't put photo's on linux without being a root user.
Laptop powermanager that goes to hibernate if i pull out powercord and battery is totaly full.
Wireless problems and rt61 problems
Movies that stand still for a sec and then play again.

And some more things i dunno atm. They not that worse because i don't use it much.

patrick295767
December 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM
Got :

Camera that can't put photo's on linux without being a root user.
Laptop powermanager that goes to hibernate if i pull out powercord and battery is totaly full.
Wireless problems and rt61 problems
Movies that stand still for a sec and then play again.

And some more things i dunno atm. They not that worse because i don't use it much.

soo much ... :-k :-k

babygigi
December 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
No Edgy was not stable for me, it did not support my partition format LVM, which caused it to be unable to login, i experienced looping log in never getting anywhere, and now i've been slowly transfering all my data to another computer so i can do a fresh install however some data was lost.

patrick295767
December 2nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
No Edgy was not stable for me, it did not support my partition format LVM, which caused it to be unable to login, i experienced looping log in never getting anywhere, and now i've been slowly transfering all my data to another computer so i can do a fresh install however some data was lost.

Ohh, really sorry that you could loose data. That's really crap loosing data just because of a dist-upgrade. Try to fill the bugs https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs
maybe to warn the developpers that somthg is wrong. They are not too much active in forums.

They wont unfortunately restart new distro from dapper for tyheir newer release
they will improve Edgy only ... risky isnt it

- I tried amule : it crashes under edgy
when search

... annoyign

patrick295767
December 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM
For the bugs, did Bill Gates help in the development of Edgy ... ?

(no, it is just a bad joke not meaningful)

steven8
December 2nd, 2006, 05:58 AM
The live CD is a disaster, but Edgy itself is okay once you get it up and running.

I asked awhile back in a thread if there might be difference between the liveCD and an actual install. I tried the liveCD before doing an upgrade, and I couldn't get my USB cable modem going and it couldn't see my HP printer. Dapper worked with both ootb.

Should I do the dist upgrade, or do things automagically turn better if I install from the CD?

Paul_UK
December 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yes. The wireless keeps dropping, OpenOffice spreadsheet has a memory leak, the desktop image keeps disappearing and numerous other bits and pieces that worked fine in 6.06 don't work reliably or at all in 6.10. I;m sure they are all fixable if I had the time to mess around, search the forum, ask questions that probably won't get answered etc - but I want to use the PC not have to play around with the operating system.

I am currently using my windows boot most of the time, and am looking at other distros.

TLE
December 2nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well I would have to say yes.
One way to evaluate it is to simply count the numbers of bugs that noteably affect me, in my use of the system alltogether (though that off course include a lot of other software also). And in my case that number has risen from 1 to like 4 or 5, from Dapper to Edgy.

Furthermore one of the bugs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/59618) is simply so serious that it is very hard to ignore. In short the problem is that there is an error in the script that is supposed to change the xorg.conf according to the bootoptions on the livecd, so that e.g. safe graphics mode doesn't use vesa. This is of great importantce for those of us whose hardware isn't properly supported by open source drivers. And does in the last consequence mean that we can't install Ubuntu without the use of a somewhat complicated(at least to a newbie) workaround. Furthermode as it can be seen from the bugreport, it was reported before the release, which to me would sugest that maybe the devels have been a under a little to much time pressure in this release.

burek
December 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Well I would have to say yes.
One way to evaluate it is to simply count the numbers of bugs that noteably affect me, in my use of the system alltogether (though that off course include a lot of other software also). And in my case that number has risen from 1 to like 4 or 5, from Dapper to Edgy.

Furthermore one of the bugs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/59618) is simply so serious that it is very hard to ignore. In short the problem is that there is an error in the script that is supposed to change the xorg.conf according to the bootoptions on the livecd, so that e.g. safe graphics mode doesn't use vesa. This is of great importantce for those of us whose hardware isn't properly supported by open source drivers. And does in the last consequence mean that we can't install Ubuntu without the use of a somewhat complicated(at least to a newbie) workaround. Furthermode as it can be seen from the bugreport, it was reported before the release, which to me would sugest that maybe the devels have been a under a little to much time pressure in this release.

I dont think that is really too much time pressure. How can you explain that dapper was rather a great improvement of breezy and quite a stable realease. But now with edgy there is sooo much bugs reported that I would take a year to report them in the bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/59618
that users wont even try to sweat just for that. They, I guess, as it is said above, will boot to other distro. The thing is that all bugs wont be reported all of them and the release will be always buggy for the coming release . Let*s hope the best.:???:

Malta paul
December 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
No problems at all :) Has been very stable on my system, it a great distro

Nonno Bassotto
December 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
No, it isn't

sweemeng
December 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
yes, it is a little buggy.

my synaptic touch pad suddenly dead, so does my acpi, and my sound and i can't load the hdaps module anymore. all these after a month using edgy. but things seems work well on livecd. still investigating the reason.

ChadMMc
December 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Works great for me. Had come across 1 or 2 bugs, but they are fixed (can't even remember what they were now) and being that it is not an LTS release, I expected more bugs than the 1 or 2 I had come across...

UBUNTU ROCKS!

Caraibes
December 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
I went back to Xubuntu Dapper, after trying Edgy for a while...

First, it was FF crashing with flash, but I found the fix, then it was the Skype problem : whenever I turn Skype on, the whole system freezes !!! Feels like win98 !!!

So I did a clean re-install with the Xubuntu 6.06.1 alternate CD, everything went smooth, I used Automatix for the tweaks, no problem whatsoever...

I plan to stick to LTS releases whenever possible...

8)