PDA

View Full Version : In 50years,Imagine/how will be the life due to the great size reduction of Computers?

burek
November 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Imagine/how will be the life due to the size reduction of Computer in 50years ?
========

All computers will certainly be sthg like without harddisk (to reduce weight), like pxe booting, connected on the net.

We just need a CPU, a whatever the size display, and a network card for net-connection (http://www.kegel.com/linux/pxe.html) and a great reduction in size and weight.

Google is pionner in his own field for instance, trying to get all in one.
They also talk about skype-outlook, so, maybe chat-voice with google too, harddisk?...

I dont know, just thinking ...

--
How do you imagine the life-computer associated in 50 years ?
How can it improve & fullfill your daily needs ?

--
(positively sharing thread plz)

adam.tropics
November 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I'm just looking forward to the day when laptop battery life is referred to in weeks rather than days.

kanem
November 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
50 years is a long time. Think about what computers were like 50 years ago. I don't think a present day person would recognize what a computer will even look like in the future.

I imagine a computer inside us with which we communicate by talking or even just thinking.

If we want we can record everything around us all the time.

Glasses project the GUI to our eyes (these already exist BTW).

Sound is directed to our ears through bone conduction or some other internal mechanism (also already exists).

We can connect with anyone in the world anytime.

Most of these 'ideas' come from sci-fi stories such as Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (http://www.craphound.com/down/).

chaosgeisterchen
November 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'm just looking forward to the day when laptop battery life is referred to in weeks rather than days.

Will that ever happen? I am looking forward to these days when they surpass 10 or 12 hours at least and take some two hours to fully recharge. But that's a major point, battery life should definitely increase. Concerning size it's not possible to produce smaller notebooks which make sense. I need some minimal size to be able to work with a keyboard and some minimal screen size as well.

adam.tropics
November 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Catch 22 I guess, always needing more, but from less space and resources, so I guess time will tell. I do think that battery development needs to catch up a bit.

As for size and making sense, right now, you have a point, but since we're talking 50 years down the track, who knows how we'll be interacting with computers by then?...

ComplexNumber
November 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM
i imagine that it 50 years time, there won't be any such thing as PC's. they will be carried around on ones person. they will all rely on voice input and output, rendering dispays semi-useless.

chaosgeisterchen
November 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I am not able (and I think no one is) to predict what computing will be like in 50 years' time.

Artificial Intelligence
November 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Holographic projection instead of monitors I guess. Perhaps holo-deck as in star Trek will be a reality. Or neural connection while working with the computer. Well a went a bit off-topic I guess....

drphilngood
November 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
In fifty-years, I foresee humanity becoming much like the borg, in that our brains will be implanted with miniature computers that keep us connected to a huge grid 24/7. Furthermore, I can imagine a dream service that allows one to experience anything conceivable in a dream like state. :-k However, I bet this service will come at a high cost, not only in dollars but also privacy and freedom. Irregardless, I hope Im around to have a turn.:D

BWF89
November 25th, 2006, 02:48 PM
In fifty-years, I foresee humanity becoming much like the borg, in that our brains will be implanted with miniature computers that keep us connected to a huge grid 24/7. Furthermore, I can imagine a dream service that allows one to experience anything conceivable in a dream like state. :-k However, I bet this service will come at a high cost, not only in dollars but also privacy and freedom. Irregardless, I hope Im around to have a turn.:D
That's what I believe is going to happen in 50 years. If the world isn't destroyed by a nuclear war by then. And I'm not too looking forward to it. I'll keep my body the way is thank you, no implants for me.

Has anyone ever played the 1997 RTS game Total Annihilation? The back story for that game is that the galactic governing body came up with a way to transfer someones brain from their physical body to a computer based one to protect them. After that a group of rebels struck against the government because they didn't want to change.

JurB
November 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Forget our brain, it'll be replaced by some much more efficient type of hardware. Come to think of it everything will... we will be some kind of C-3PO... or multiple C-3PO's to prevent dataloss because of hardware failure. Then our leaders will be able to enact their lust for power and war without all the human suffering. It'll be like playing some futuristic style mmorpg.
[-o<