PDA

View Full Version : One leap forward for me, another back for MS :)

maddog39
November 25th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

Well I just made that big leap from windows to full time linux. Today I did a fresh install of Ubuntu, the only difference was, instead of that second partition, yea, I formatted my entire HD. I no longer have ******* on my computer and im so proud of it. It took me 2 years (almost) to get comfortable enough with linux, the first time I ever used linux was on my Apple PowerBook G4 using the Breezy Live CD. I just cant wait util Ubuntu comes with aiglx and compiz preinstalled, watched an ubuntu keynote on google video and that guy (forget his name, hes the founder of ubuntu) said that they planned to release desktop effects in the next release. So anyway, has anyone else deleted that other partition yet?

-maddog39

rlozano
November 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hello all,

Well I just made that big leap from windows to full time linux. Today I did a fresh install of Ubuntu, the only difference was, instead of that second partition, yea, I formatted my entire HD. I no longer have ******* on my computer and im so proud of it. It took me 2 years (almost) to get comfortable enough with linux, the first time I ever used linux was on my Apple PowerBook G4 using the Breezy Live CD. I just cant wait util Ubuntu comes with aiglx and compiz preinstalled, watched an ubuntu keynote on google video and that guy (forget his name, hes the founder of ubuntu) said that they planned to release desktop effects in the next release. So anyway, has anyone else deleted that other partition yet?

-maddog39

congrats! and welcome to the world of Linux (full-time). :-)

im sure that you will enjoy using ubuntu just like the rest of the community.

and the guy's name is Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Ubuntu. :-D

Christopherius
November 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM
yes i have been running ubuntu full time now for a month and i love it. im now 99% microsoft free! (i still have my hotmail account) :)

maddog39
November 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Heh, ye thanks for the name, and I've been using Ubuntu 98% of the time lately and was limited by my 20GB partition and was like, why the hell does ******* have 60GB of the HD... LOL. Then im like, err.. screw it, w!nd0z3 sux anyway. :P I'm loving it so far, doing my master install of like 40 programs from the repository now. I just finished the install like 30 mins ago. :)

[Edit]
Yeah I still use MSN, but no hotmail account, passport. :D

ComplexNumber
November 25th, 2006, 11:10 AM
So anyway, has anyone else deleted that other partition yet?
i wish i could, but vb.net lives there. i don't use it or windows though.

happy-and-lost
November 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Full time for 3 months. The *only* thing holding me back is my mp3 player, and my love of Black & White 2.

Gargamella
November 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
When I did it I knew it meant some sacrificies but it worth it.
I am proud of my laptop.Congrats to be full-time linux user

xpod
November 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I was lucky i guess...i only used Windows for 4 months before coming here.

Still only know the basic basics but windows(xp) is long since gone from this pc and also been wiped from a couple of others too

Theres still a primitive form off it upstairs in the form of an m.e but we let that live seeing as it was the first old sys we got back in march.

We keep it as a reminder of harder times:D

maddog39
November 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I dont understand why everyone doesnt just run ******* in VMWare Server or something. Thats what I'm planning to do with my wasted 300$ CD. Running, ******* on top of linux, hahahaha, I have to take a screeny of that one and share it with everyone.

56phil
November 25th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Congratulations! I did the same thing about two weeks ago.:-D

Dr. C
November 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I dont understand why everyone doesnt just run ******* in VMWare Server or something. Thats what I'm planning to do with my wasted 300$ CD. Running, ******* on top of linux, hahahaha, I have to take a screeny of that one and share it with everyone.

Some of us do. I run Windows NT 4.0 Workstation in VMWare server running under Ubuntu Dapper. Also tried XP pro and Vista RC1 in VMWare server running under Ubuntu Dapper.

Eigenwert
November 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Congrats!

I've been 98% Ubuntu for at least a year. I kept windo$e around for games and MatLab, but I don't have time for games anymore (school) and I now have MatLab for linux. Now I'm finally free!

EW

Choad
November 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
my phone has usb software for windows only, and my laptop has no bluetooth

thats all thats keeping me right now

im hopefully going to be getting a new laptop at christmas, with bluetooth (and intel wireless, nvidia graphics etc.) so it will be bye bye windows, hello linux

incidentally my niece will be getting her first desktop at christmas too, and ill probably be setting up ssh or remote desktop to help administer it remotely. (no one else really has any linux skills, so it will be down to me)

Absolom
November 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I to have Win XP running within vmware server I mainly because 2-3 programs I can't completely get away from I wish I could get them to run under wine so I didn't have to still support ******* by using XP wheather it's inside vmware or not it is still being used thus still supporting Bill Gates empire.

Vmware just makes it easier to get to Win then partitioning HD and having to reboot to get into Win then reboot back into Linux.... If I could run the programs I am too used to to completely dump I'd not need to have Win on my comp in any form.

iPower
November 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
99.9% Microsoft free since 1996 :)