PDA

View Full Version : Old Laptop and DSL

Drifter
November 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I have an old toshia teckra 8000 laptop that will not boot from cd drive. I would like to install DSL linux on it but can't figure out how to install DSL. Does anyone know how to boot with floppy and still install dsl

junglepeanut
November 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM
You need to create a boot floppy, there are many web pages referring how to do this, the hard part is finding a floppy that works ;)

Then you just put that in and it will ask for the CD after a bit, I went throught the whole process trying to figure out how to do this, then finally once I figured it out I found out that all that was required to change from floppy to cdrom in the bios was I had to hold the delete key down for 9 seconds. I would just check on google as much as possible to see if there is a special way to change it, if not, I may even still have the files I put on the floppy somewhere, but you need to find an application to make a bootfloppy. Will depend on the OS you are using to make it.

I did a quick google search and your laptop does boot from CDs.
(Nothing special either, so maybe bad CD? or you just need to change it to boot of CD?)

K.Mandla
November 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM
(Just shifting this into the Other OS Talk area. ;) )

kerry_s
November 25th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Try this-> http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Boot_Floppies

In case it's not clear, click on the 2 to get the image.

RAV TUX
November 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
moving to the Debian (and derivatives) forum