PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Dapper Or Edgy?

sevenworth
November 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I've heard conflicting stories about the stability of Edgy, so while I'm still uninformed, I don't know if I want to upgrade yet. How true are rumors that edgy is a no-go?

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM
DO YOU USE DAPPER OR EDGY?

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR MOST PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST STARTING OR THOSE LOOKING FOR STABILITY?

Over the last few weeks it seems that a lot of the problems people are having in the forum are partially due to the fact that they are using edgy. It appears there are still some bugs to be worked out. What do you recommend and what do use primarily?

daller
November 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I recommend using edgy to our customers and my friends!

I've installed dapper and edgy on 40+ machines, and I've experienced LESS problems with getting edgy running, and the stability is the same I think!

One of my main issues in installing is getting the hardware running (I mainly install *ubuntu on machines that people already have tried to get running - So it the worst of them :))

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I recommend using edgy to our customers and my friends!

I've installed dapper and edgy on 40+ machines, and I've experienced LESS problems with getting edgy running, and the stability is the same I think!

One of my main issues in installing is getting the hardware running (I mainly install *ubuntu on machines that people already have tried to get running - So it the worst of them :))

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of feed back Im looking for.

Shay Stephens
November 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Edgy all the way. I had trouble upgrading, but a clean install is pure magic.

Engnome
November 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Your caps hurts my eyes, wth do you shout?

Use and love edgy. Recommend it to my friends as well.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Your caps hurts my eyes, wth do you shout?

Use and love edgy. Recommend it to my friends as well.

I figured it would highlight the main idea. Sorry for the shout.

aysiu
November 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
For fresh installs, I'd recommend Edgy, but for upgrades, I recommend people stick with Dapper unless they do a full backup of their Dapper installations beforehand.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM
For fresh installs, I'd recommend Edgy, but for upgrades, I recommend people stick with Dapper unless they do a full backup of their Dapper installations beforehand.

Well put, I think that is a good game plan.

MedivhX
November 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I Use And Recommend Edgy For Everyone.

kd_pease
November 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I use edgy on my desktop machine and dapper on my laptop. Haven't got round to upgrading the laptop yet...

Apart from a problem with xorg that was fixed by selecting a different driver with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and a caps-lock key that doesn't work any more the upgrade of my desktop to edgy went smoothly. Stability seems fine on both.

fuscia
November 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM
i updated to edgy and had a bunch of problems. did a clean install of edgy and things are fine.

adam.tropics
November 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Edgy. No problems, though I wonder if that's having installed a few times all up, less issues are actually 'problems' any more!

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Edgy. No problems, though I wonder if that's having installed a few times all up, less issues are actually 'problems' any more!

I had a similar experience with dapper when it came out.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM
i updated to edgy and had a bunch of problems. did a clean install of edgy and things are fine.

That was the same issue we had with dapper from breezy.

drphilngood
November 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I recommend starting with Dapper but if you want to use edgy, do a fresh install(with alternative installer) instead of an upgrade.

Beamerboy
November 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM
What about those of us who use both? No option in the Poll for that.

I use Dapper on my main desktop machine and Edgy Server Edition on my Server machine.

The reason I haven't upgraded my desktop to Edgy yet is because of all the manually built software I have on this system. It would literally take me days to reinstall/rebuild for Edgy.

Beamerboy
AKA Paladine

kopilo
November 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Why isn't there a simple, 'I use Drapper' or 'I use Edgy'...

Tried edgy and it didn't like my graphics card, went back to drapper now waiting for FF.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Why isn't there a simple, 'I use Drapper' or 'I use Edgy'...

Tried edgy and it didn't like my graphics card, went back to drapper now waiting for FF.

you could say that you use dapper or that you use dapper and recommend dapper.

I didnt want the poll to be to big....The poll is multiple choice.

hoagie
November 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I use and recommend Edgy.
Am I the only one that upgrade from dapper to edgy without any problems?
Plus with Edgy I got beryl working from the first try something that in dapper was impossible.

dca
November 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It's kind of like comparing apples & nipples, really...

It depends what kind of comparison we're trying to make. I use Dapper as opposed to Edgy just be shear preference. Had some issue(s) w/ Edgy after clean install but nothing major, decided to go back.

Now, when comparing it to comrades who are Fedora afficiandos, SuSE, or Debian than I use Dapper as the comparison tool... (oh, not to mention I still got a sh**-load of 6.06LTS install LiveCDs from the 'ship-it dealie)

Christmas
November 24th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I use Kubuntu Dapper and recommended it when someone asked if he should try Dapper or Edgy. I tried Edgy, nice artwork, but it's slower than Dapper, and the packages seem to be put there without any polishing. I think the developers shouldn't grab the very last versions of the packages and just include them in the distribution. It is stable but very slow, so Dapper all the way.

daller
November 24th, 2006, 06:44 PM
It's kind of like comparing apples & nipples, really...

It depends what kind of comparison we're trying to make. I use Dapper as opposed to Edgy just be shear preference. Had some issue(s) w/ Edgy after clean install but nothing major, decided to go back.

Now, when comparing it to comrades who are Fedora afficiandos, SuSE, or Debian than I use Dapper as the comparison tool... (oh, not to mention I still got a sh**-load of 6.06LTS install LiveCDs from the 'ship-it dealie)

Are you a famous moviestar? (your avatar)

dca
November 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I was until I made some anti-semitic remarks after being arrested for a DUI in Mailbu...

No, j/k... Out of all the celebrity mugshots, (including Nick Nolte & Glen Campbell) that is probably the funniet one I've ever seen... LOL!!! Look, he's arrested, incarcerated, and he's still laughing...

dbbolton
November 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM
honestly, i'm just too lazy to upgrade.

infoseeker
November 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Installed both Kubuntu edgy AND Ubuntu edgy on separate partitions (to try them both). I installed Beryl on Ubuntu, and happy as a pig in **** :D , both clean installs with alternate CD's. I backed up my stuff from Dapper and removed it.

christthi
November 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I've heard conflicting stories about the stability of Edgy, so while I'm still uninformed, I don't know if I want to upgrade yet. How true are rumors that edgy is a no-go?

There are many reported problems, mainly with dapper-to-edgy upgrade and with xserver-xorg (which seems to have become infamous since the "blue screen of death" update catastrophy in late october). xserver-xorg used to be great for its hardware recognition, but now ironically, it became it's main PROBLEM. I'd say that 6.10 seems to be rather a "at your own risk" version than a no-go. It's gonna work fine for some, and will be a pain in the *** for others...

On my part I'm still on Xubuntu dapper since I tried any install/upgrade method imaginable for Edgy on my laptop and it just did'nt work...](*,) I'd say that anyone who's not an expert in Debian should stick with 6.06.1 as it's the latest truly stable Ubuntu to date.

EdThaSlayer
November 24th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I myself use Ubuntu Edgy Eft. I upgraded it via the internet and it still works great. It is very stable. But for other people that might not be as lucky as me, I reccomend you to keep Dapper since upgrading to Edgy Eft could cause you quite a few problems.

MedivhX
November 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Mine is very very stable too.

Eddie Wilson
November 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I used Dapper since it came out. I had it set up great and just like I wanted it. But them I wanted all the latest programs. I finally got my copy of Edgy and installed. Nothing but problems. You cannot connect online with a dial up modem on Edgy. Never had any problems wth Dapper or any other distro. Had to reinstall Dapper and start over. By the way I check the forums and asked in the forums but nobody could tell me anything. That is sad for this community. Or maybe I'm being too hard and no one really did know. Anyway thats why I'm using Dapper.
PS: Some people did try to help me, but nothing worked.
Eddie

MedivhX
November 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Well, did you upgrade with format>install, or you've upgraded by using update manager or whatever?

Eddie Wilson
November 24th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Did a fresh install.

MedivhX
November 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM
hmmmm... strange!

sawjew
November 24th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I upgraded to Edgy when it was still a beta release and I have had no problems whatsoever. I had a few unexplained application crashes early on but nothing since the final release and there were no effects on the system only on the individual application.

On the other hand I have not seen any really significant improvements over Dapper. There are a few improvements in small features and it uses more up to date applications such as Firefox 2 and Evolution 2.8 (which has some significant feature improvements) but most of the improvements are not visible (boot up and shut down is noticeably faster). The overall appearance is nowhere near as integrated as Dapper, it still uses the old Dapper splash with the new usplash and a few other things which do not have a consistent appearance.

Overall I find Edgy to be a better experience but I will probably update to Feisty when it goes beta because I just like to see the new features as they roll out.

drphilngood
November 24th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I must admit, Edgy has been rock-stable since I installed it. However, IŽve seen so many with problems that I still recommend Dapper.

ShadowVlican
November 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM
edgy! i like to use the latest and greatest!

TeraDyne
November 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I use Dapper, and it's been extremely stable for me, but I suggest Dapper for anyone who doesn't mind not having the latest and greatest.

BLTicklemonster
November 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I use edgy and love it, but would recommend dapper for new people and industry. I'm trying to get edgy to install on vmware so I can upgrade to feisty right now, but keep having problems, but will keep at it. (tried from a cd, kept stalling at 15% install, so now I'm getting an iso and will try it from that)

daller
November 24th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I was until I made some anti-semitic remarks after being arrested for a DUI in Mailbu...

No, j/k... Out of all the celebrity mugshots, (including Nick Nolte & Glen Campbell) that is probably the funniet one I've ever seen... LOL!!! Look, he's arrested, incarcerated, and he's still laughing...

Heh! :D

jclmusic
December 9th, 2006, 11:06 AM
i tried edgy it kept freezing and i found it much slower and less stable than dapper. i'm gonna wait for the next stable LTS release, which is gonna be the feisty fawn +1.

.t.
December 9th, 2006, 11:39 AM
/me uses Feisty

Lster
December 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I cant get Edgy until the free CDs for it are avaiable. Edgy sounds nice, but its not a big ugrade from what Ive heard. Fiesty on the other hand sounds like a MUST!

Somenoob
December 9th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Edgy of course, why recommend something else than the current version?

eilu
December 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Dapper. I like LTS, and I don't have the time/resources to download, install and upgrade every 6 months. If it ain't broke, why fix it? (Incidentally, this machine is still running Windows 98 on dual boot, so, yeah...)

Radiera
December 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
](*,)
Maybe because of it's stability. I came to the conclusion that Edgy is a piece of crap, highly unstable and has a poor hardware support.
Of course, Edgy, Feisty and all this ******** is meant for testing and preparing for the next LTS distro. A sane user that doesn't need trouble with stability should use Dapper. It's rock solid and is the best distro I've seen (believe me, I've used every debian based distro)
It may be fun edgy, but it's not useful to me.
Since I've mentioned Debian, I think that the developers should think twice before releasing etch this month. It is as much crappy as Edgy (mainly because of the 2.18 kernel and the poor hardware support)

In conclusion, my advice: USE DAPPER IF YOU WANT LONG UPTIMES!

PS: Feisty is totally out of the question. Testers should use it (believe me!), not noobs.

iPower
December 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Dapper

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Although I am an edgy user I am beginning to think about using feisty. Maybe install it over the Christmas holiday.

whynotchevron
December 10th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Edgy at home , but dapper for the internet cafe and business clients for the long term support .

troymcdavis
December 10th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I use Dapper and recommend to everyone.

However, I did a run of the Edgy liveCD, and since it actually detected my wireless card, I plan to install Edgy while home for the holidays.

burek
December 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I am back to Dapper, I couldnt solve the networking problems with Edgy.
That made me peaced sometimes when it was rather important work stuffs.

Besides, with Edgy, there is still lot of broken packages, debs, that should be re-compile, I have no time to spend with recompiling them for the moment.

I got as reply when I mentioned that these debs where crap that :
you should not mess up with packages taht nobody uses

That reply is not open source I guess.

So, for instance, the prob with debs:
-pypanel deb has no /usr/bin/pynal
-there is a reluctant problem with fonts : xmms, icewm, obconf ... lot with font problem
- xearth I guess or oldies packages problems too
- libs missing in some packages, for instance obconf
there is not enough libs to run it...

So, if you run gnome, the packages are fine, since lot are using these packages and in only 6 months, they certainly had no time to check all debs very well.

Besides, this is for me rather important point; when you find packages or distro whihc is not fully finished that can certainly be meaning too
that tehere is security holes that can be created ... Dont know, just an idea maybe relevant.

Exept this, this experimental Edgy isnt that bad, but feisty with stability and well finished distro will be a necessity I guess.

:KS :KS viva Ubuntu !

kurushi
December 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I think the most problems with Edgy are from laptop computers (with my own expirience). I use Edgy with my laptop because I expended some time configuring wireless and sd card reader. I installed Edgy in my cousin's Desktop computer and Dapper in my best friend laptop, without problems (no problem, no driver installation, all is working perfectly). Please if you think linux must be improved in order to work on desktops you are right, but if you think linux is not yet ready for common users let them decide it, because both of them (my friend and my cousin) are more than happy with Ubuntu.They only ask for better messenger support.

Magnes
December 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well, I have both Edgy and Dapper installed and I slowly move all my configuration from Dapper to Edgy. Edgy is working fine for me but Dapper was more stable I think.

Psquared
December 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I'm using Kubuntu Edgy and its fast and stable. No problems at all. As always with Linux I had to fiddle to get multimedia to work, but gxine plugin is the best.

awakatanka
December 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
If i want to use a bugged release i rather use Debian unstable. Whiped the test edgy of the partition and going to try a new kind of distro. Maybe going to try arch our sabayon.

AusIV4
December 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Because some of us have had issues keeping it running. I wouldn't recommend Edgy to anyone after the experience I had trying to upgrade.

Upgrading from Dapper left my system unbootable. A clean install left my home directory (an LVM volume) unmountable. Even after installing LVM and RAID from the repositories, I had trouble getting my home volume to mount properly and consistently, and searching the forums gave me no answers.

When it came time to put Ubuntu on my laptop, I still had such a bad taste in my mouth from Edgy I just put Dapper on it, even though I've no need for RAID or LVM on that machine, and I'm perfectly content with it. I just don't trust Edgy after I couldn't get everything running smoothly. I've had no problems with Dapper, and so I reccomend it.

Dapper is still a "current" version, and will be supported until version 9.04 (or something along those lines).

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I backed up my Dapper stuff to DVD, then installed Edgy from the alternate cd and had too many major problems - I don't think Edgy is newbie friendly. So, I restored Dapper - I've never had any major problems in Dapper. I'll probably still be using Dapper after Feisty Fawn is released.

I've tried a bunch of distros and I haven't found anything that beats Dapper.

hellmet
December 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
according to me Breezy was the most stable of Ubuntu versions I've seen.
Seriously, I had no problems whatsoever with it...

Dapper... I din like it, never liked it. But, it was always stable tho.
Am loving edgy right now.. it boots in no time....

Stew2
December 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I use Dapper because it is LTS. I prefer stability over cutting edge. :)

Regards,
Stew2

patrick295767
December 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
If i want to use a bugged release i rather use Debian unstable. Whiped the test edgy of the partition and going to try a new kind of distro. Maybe going to try arch our sabayon.

That sounds strong... What kind of problem you got with Edgy ?

Because some of us have had issues keeping it running. I wouldn't recommend Edgy to anyone after the experience I had trying to upgrade.

Upgrading from Dapper left my system unbootable. A clean install left my home directory (an LVM volume) unmountable. Even after installing LVM and RAID from the repositories, I had trouble getting my home volume to mount properly and consistently, and searching the forums gave me no answers.

When it came time to put Ubuntu on my laptop, I still had such a bad taste in my mouth from Edgy I just put Dapper on it, even though I've no need for RAID or LVM on that machine, and I'm perfectly content with it. I just don't trust Edgy after I couldn't get everything running smoothly. I've had no problems with Dapper, and so I reccomend it.

Dapper is still a "current" version, and will be supported until version 9.04 (or something along those lines).

According to me, when you get such problems with partitions, that is serious and should be considered. I would not like loosing my data.
I also experience troubles with upgrading the dapper. I wished I had made a fresh install.

patrick295767
December 10th, 2006, 06:15 PM
To sum up, I think it depends what you do with your linux box:

If you wanna just install gnome or kde and check your email, and from fresh edgy install, doing amsn:
you will hear that edgy is stable.

If you push further, changing windows manager, partitions, LVM, ... then problems can maybe appear and start to be annoying.

It is what I can read from the forum I guess, no? Funny that for some users it is 100percent fine and other not at all. It appears taht I USE EDGY BUT RECOMMEND DAPPER FOR NEW USERS AND IN INDUSTRY. is slightly high, even though winning. Hence, there is wihtout doubts sthg that has to be reviewed with Edgy.

Ubuntu rocks anyhow !

daller
December 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I answered Edgy, though that is not 100% correct... I'm running Feisty... Herd 1

Polygon
December 11th, 2006, 12:43 AM
i use dapper as when i upgraded from dapper to edgy, the installation was very slow (overloaded servers) and when i did find a mirror that did work kinda fast, when i rebooted i couldent even start up (x errors, fsck died with error code 8, the works), so i just reinstalled dapper and left it at that.

daller
December 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM
i use dapper as when i upgraded from dapper to edgy, the installation was very slow (overloaded servers) and when i did find a mirror that did work kinda fast, when i rebooted i couldent even start up (x errors, fsck died with error code 8, the works), so i just reinstalled dapper and left it at that.

May I suggest a cleaninstall? That would probably work a lot better.

The X issues tend to occur when upgrading! - A kinda weird issue, not present in debian.

zcal
December 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
How about an "I only trust Dapper with my work computer but IŽll let Edgy play with my multimedia"?

shhmiggly
December 13th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I have edgy on a secondary computer and it freezes every hour or so, therefore I would not recommend an upgrade yet. However, getting wpa and the wireless working with ndiswrapper was much easier than when I installed Dapper.

sailingboarder
December 13th, 2006, 03:08 AM
i have yet to upgrade to edgy, but i have wanted to try it since it was released,
i think i'm going to play around with it over the holiday break(which starts 2morrow 4 me, gotta love school)

Dr. C
December 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I have not upgraded from Dapper to Edgy on my main computer. There is not enough difference between Dapper and Edgy to warrant my time to upgrade. On my Laptop I installed Edgy, I also installed Edgy on a server I just put together.

I am very pleased with both Dapper and Edgy, they are both working well. I say on a new installation use Edgy, especially on very new hardware, but if you have Dapper on a system and it is working well I would leave it alone, especialy if you have customized your Dapper system in any way (namely edited a configuration file or two).

Quite honestly I am far to busy migrating data, including hundreds of webpages developed with Microsoft FrontPage, from Microsoft Windows based applications to FLOSS based appllications to be bothered with a Dapper to Edgy upgrade.

I voted it does not matter to me.

A_608
December 13th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I completed an upgrade to Edgy. For new systems and people wanting current fixes get edgy. If you want stability, then wait a little bit. I chose to take a risk and try to upgrade. The risk paid off. I am thankful for tutorials on upgrading. Sometimes you have to take a risk. (backup first)

A_608
December 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Next is installation of vmware and then the next upgrade. The life cycle of Ubuntu doesn't stay around like Microsoft.

machoo02
December 13th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I've been running Edgy on my Thinkpad since it was still a release candidate, and it has been working like a champ!

Lystrodom
December 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I used edgy on my main hard drive, but have Dapper installed on a spare, and will eventually put Dapper X64 on there. I'd put Edgy X64, but I don't have the internet capabilities to download the LiveCD, so I'm having it shipped to me(A friend burned me the Edgy liveCD)

BarfBag
December 13th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Use and recommend Edgy. I've run into more weird problems with other releases then I have with it.

eriqk
December 13th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I use Dapper on my work computers because I know what to expect. That kind of stability is important, I guess.
I've installed Edgy on my ancient laptop and a full Ubuntu+Gnome install is as snappy as the minimalist Fluxbox based Dapper I had running on it, so apart from the initial xserver-xorg problems I experienced (a dpkg-reconfigure soved that) it's been doing fine.

I think Dapper is the proper recommendation for newbies and people who like the stability. If you're ready to do some troubleshooting from time to time, Edgy is very cool.

Groet, Erik

dbbolton
December 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
i just upgraded to edgy, because i couldn't get beryl installed on dapper. plus, i run dapper on my notebook, so i thought it would be nice to have two flavours.

suziequzie
December 25th, 2006, 04:51 AM
When edgy came out, I did a complete fresh install. I was soooo looking forward to it...

As of Friday, Dec. 22/2006, I am back on Dapper. Seems more stable for me. I don't know why Edgy was buggy for me, but I'm very happy to return to Dapper.

Will make a test partition for Feisty to be evaluated before I make a move to another upgrade version.

lucid
December 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
My first attempt to upgrade to Edgy from Dapper bugged out, but the second went very smoothly. Edgy has been fine even throwing Beryl into the mix.

oyvindaa
December 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I use Dapper and I'm very pleased with it.

ButteBlues
December 25th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Feisty. ;)

bonzini
December 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM
On the balance, I'm happier with Edgy but my X or Gnome or ATI driver or SOMETHING hangs in Edgy on a fairly regular basis (sometimes more than once a day) and leaves no trace in the logs... this never happened with Dapper. This was bad enough a few weeks ago (no clue why) that I burned a new Dapper ISO image.

On the plus side, Edgy's newer gphoto stuff talks to all the cameras in our household; Dapper's doesn't, and the Dapper team has chosen to leave this "problem" as it is.

Also, the wifi in Edgy works really well. The network connection is on right away, unlike Dapper (or 'doze) which takes awhile to get going.

FWIW my computer is a Toshiba A70, about 18 months old. ATI 9200 IGX video.

frenchn00b
March 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM
PLEASE THREAD to be closed ;

out of date

(this poll sucks you cannot even poll if you do NOT recommand it ; Recommand ubuntu for newbies ; I unrecommand Ubuntu for industry)