PDA

View Full Version : Is the brand of disc or the drive at fault for skipping?

BarfBag
November 24th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I bought a huge stack of Memorex CD-R's last year and just used the last one. They were fine (and cheap), except that 1/3 of the time I'd burn a bootable .iso; it would skip and corrupt some files on the disc. I'd usually burn it at 12x. This is my first burner and I haven't used any other disc brand yet, so I was wondering. Is it the burner or the brand of discs that's causing this problem? Any recommended brands before I go out and buy some more?

Dual Cortex
November 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I've actually never bought CDs... just get them FAR (Free After Rebates) by the 100s. In fact the ones I currently use don't seem to even be branded.. CDs aren't stamped and brand was probably on its package but I threw it away a long time ago... can almost assure you they were no known brand.

I'd say it was your burner or burning software... my cheap lite-on CD/DVD burner has given me some good times. You could find it on newegg for ~35USD.

BarfBag
November 24th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I've actually never bought CDs... just get them FAR (Free After Rebates) by the 100s. In fact the ones I currently use don't seem to even be branded.. CDs aren't stamped and brand was probably on its package but I threw it away a long time ago... can almost assure you they were no known brand.

I'd say it was your burner or burning software... my cheap lite-on CD/DVD burner has given me some good times. You could find it on newegg for ~35USD.

Thanks for the reply. My burner is actually a Lite-On. Got it for 30 bucks at K-Mart. I usually use the Windows version of Nero to burn discs. Trying to convert to K3B, but not quite there yet.

grte
November 24th, 2006, 06:28 AM
A little from column A, a little from column B.

If you're having issues, try looking for firmware updates for your burner. They often increase compatibility with different brands.

Apparently, this is even more an issue with DVDs (though still not much of one), because DVDs don't even have the Philips standard going for them, instead having both dvd+r and dvd-r.

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I bought a huge stack of Memorex CD-R's last year and just used the last one. They were fine (and cheap), except that 1/3 of the time I'd burn a bootable .iso; it would skip and corrupt some files on the disc. I'd usually burn it at 12x. This is my first burner and I haven't used any other disc brand yet, so I was wondering. Is it the burner or the brand of discs that's causing this problem? Any recommended brands before I go out and buy some more?

I have used Memorex, it's not the CD's...it's more likely the speed at which you are burning...12x may be too fast...I would suggest no faster then 8x....and also don't fear K3b it is the best for burning I have found....you can set it to verify your burn also...

years ago in my windows days I had a free burner in windows that also was great and also verified the burn and all my burns worked but I have forgotten the name,...I am sure it still exist but rarely hear the name...it has just been too long since I used windows...

I reccomend you use the least expensive CD's and DVD you can find, I always look for whats on sale and buy 100 at a time...last time a few months ago I bought 200 CD's on sale never thought I would use them all...but I did.

I also encourage you to buy and burn DVD's of distros...

I exclusively look for DVD downloads now.

now wether your drive is at fault, that variable can only be isolated after you start burning at a slower speed.

3rdalbum
November 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Burn at a lower speed (8x should be fine).

If they are still giving you problems, it's almost certainly the discs. Some discs just don't go well in certain drives; it's something I've observed since 1999.

I've had great success with Verbatim and TDK. Other well-known names, like Phillips and Sony and the like, are also safe bets.