PDA

View Full Version : More and More I find myself using Konqueror over Firefox...

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM
It just seems that Konqueror is overall Faster, more secure, and has awesome ad blocking ability.

The clean smooth professionalism of this Browser is amazing.

I like most people use Firefox out of habit, but Konqueror seems to be far more superior.

What are your thoughts?

kuja
November 24th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I've got my a few gripes about Konqueror, but I like it best overall. One of the big reasons I use it is because I can preload as many copies as I want :) So nice not to have to wait a few seconds for the browser to load when I want it up right NOW, if you know what I mean.

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I was wondering is it just faster on a 64bit computer?

or is it faster in all computers?

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I've got my a few gripes about Konqueror, but I like it best overall. One of the big reasons I use it is because I can preload as many copies as I want :) So nice not to have to wait a few seconds for the browser to load when I want it up right NOW, if you know what I mean.

That is actually a very good point Firefox does not allow this and I am not sure why?

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:35 AM
It just seems that Konqueror is overall Faster, more secure, and has awesome ad blocking ability.

The clean smooth professionalism of this Browser is amazing.

I like most people use Firefox out of habit, but Konqueror seems to be far more superior.

What are your thoughts?

all though I still like and use Firefox.

Dual Cortex
November 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM
RAV, you're on gnome, right?

JAPrufrock
November 24th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Will Flash 9 work in Konqueror? What about other plugins?

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:44 AM
RAV, you're on gnome, right?

Yes,...rpath which is gnome by default but I can choose to run KDE upon startup in the session manager....but generally I prefer gnome.

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Will Flash 9 work in Konqueror? What about other plugins?

I haven't used it enough to give an indepth response.

I am just impressed with Konqueror overall...not sure why I have not used it more?

grte
November 24th, 2006, 06:07 AM
I went the other way - I like epiphany a lot. Everything I want, nothing I don't.

Jucato
November 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM
My only issue with Konqueror as a web browser is that not all sites render properly on it, specially AJAX-based ones (Google services, except for Gmail). Sometimes, even regular CSS don't render properly. Of course the problem is half the fault of the web site, and the other half falls on the hands of the developers.

Hopefully, with the new Unity project, which seeks to sync once more the divergent paths of WebKit and KHTML, Konqueror might become a better browser than it is today.

weatherman
November 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
indeed unity seems to be a very exciting project. I'm having some issues with the gmail spellcheck on konqueror lately (I have to use that when I write emails that are not in English)...the text I've written just disappears, luckily it's saved as a draft. Anybody else noticed that?
I'm really eager to see the gui and extensions improvements in konqueror4.

shining
November 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM
indeed unity seems to be a very exciting project. I'm having some issues with the gmail spellcheck on konqueror lately (I have to use that when I write emails that are not in English)...the text I've written just disappears, luckily it's saved as a draft. Anybody else noticed that?

Indeed, gmail spellcheck doesn't seem to work in Konqueror, and the message disappears when I click on resume.
But why don't you use konqueror spellcheck instead of gmail one?
(both firefox 2.0 and konqueror have an integrated spellcheck)

Jucato
November 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I never knew Gmail had its own spellcheck. I was so used to relying on Konqueror own spellchecking that I haven't bothered to look around. Also, I rarely use Gmail's web interface since I've started using KMail.

I wish that the other Google services would work on Konqueror, too... :(

frodon
November 24th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I tried epiphany 1 year ago and now i use only epiphany, it's just the fastest web-browser i ever seen.
However i still use firefox sometimes for several embedded video streams.

BTW, i don't know for you but i find firefox2 more buggy than the previous firefox version, even in windows.

AndyCooll
November 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Konqueror is ok, however since I use GNOME I haven't found it to startup any quicker than FF, or indeed render pages noticeably quicker.

I also prefer the way FF handles bookmarks, toolbar icons etc. This might be because I've never really sat down and taken time to properly configure them in Konq.

:cool:

AndyCooll
November 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I'm really eager to see the gui and extensions improvements in konqueror4.

Doesn't Konqueror have a mimic type facility where you can tell it to render a page as if it were FF. And if so, doesn't this resolve the issue? Never really used it, so I'm not sure exactly how it works.

:cool:

Freddy
November 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Of course the problem is half the fault of the web site, and the other half falls on the hands of the developers.
What do you base this (developers) fault on. Konqueror is one of two browsers that have passed the Acid2 test with 100% correctness. So I guess it's always the sites fault and the developers behind the site, not konqueror.

On topic.

I never use Konqueror as a browser. For me it's slow and certain websites doesn't even load at all.

mips
November 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I tried very hard to like/make konq my browser.

See this thread of mine, http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283755

In the end I gave up. It's not bad at all but I prefer firefox, it's the small things that get to me.

EdThaSlayer
November 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I still think Firefox is superior since it allows extensions.

kuja
November 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
What do you base this (developers) fault on. Konqueror is one of two browsers that have passed the Acid2 test with 100% correctness. So I guess it's always the sites fault and the developers behind the site, not konqueror.

On topic.

I never use Konqueror as a browser. For me it's slow and certain websites doesn't even load at all.
Usually if it's slow it has to with the Linux's DNS being incorrectly configured, such that it doesn't seem to take advantage of caching at all. Konqueror doesn't have built-in DNS handling like many other browsers do. http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135230

My only issue with Konqueror as a web browser is that not all sites render properly on it, specially AJAX-based ones (Google services, except for Gmail). Sometimes, even regular CSS don't render properly. Of course the problem is half the fault of the web site, and the other half falls on the hands of the developers.

Hopefully, with the new Unity project, which seeks to sync once more the divergent paths of WebKit and KHTML, Konqueror might become a better browser than it is today.
I'm of the understanding that quite a few developers are against working on WebCore. Something along the lines of them not wanting to do "unpaid work for Apple under more restrictive licensing", or something of that nature. Of course, then again, some of them are still interested in working on it anyway. I'd be interested in seeing some of the features and other improvements finding there way into KHTML though.

Randomskk
November 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I use Konqueror as my browser, file manager, FTP client, and just about everything else. It's awesome. From being able to translate the page with a menu thing, to archiving and ad blocking, it's got everything I need ;P

chaosgeisterchen
November 24th, 2006, 10:54 PM
It really depends on what the end-user needs if Konqueror is the right browser for him/her. If the user wants to extend the browser with extension, Firefox will surely fit the needs of the user better as it has loads of extensions at its disposal. The user community is also way bigger as Firefox already surpassed the 20% mark concerning overall usage worldwide (afaik).

Konqueror has its advantages too, though. If you are using KDE there is no other browser starting faster than Konqueror. It's also the file browser, ftp browser, image preview tool, text preview tool, has an built-in video player and PDF viewer. Those things are yet extensible but the community is rather small.

I would strongly suggest for KDE 4 both for Konqueror and the composite manager they will offer that they are both easily extensible with extensions written in well-known languages just like Python or Ruby. Amarok already realizes that with its scripting engine. Other K-Parts can also do so. It would overall improve KDEs usability (although the best you can get at the moment in my opinion) by far. And this has to be one of the goals for KDE 4 and therefore for the next generation of the Konqueror web browser and all the other usage opportunities for it.

Regards

cg

dbbolton
November 24th, 2006, 11:51 PM
all in all, firefox wins out for me due to the immense capability to customise (e.g. the unlimited power of community)

konqueror, eh. i just plain don't like it so much.

epiphany is pretty fast, and minimalistic- which is good in some circumstances. galeon seems to be about the same as epiphany, maybe a bit less stripped down.

i'm beginning to like opera too, though.

RAV TUX
November 25th, 2006, 12:17 AM
i'm beginning to like opera too, though.

Opera is pretty sweet!;)

Jucato
November 25th, 2006, 01:56 AM
@Freddy:
While it's nice that Konqueror is standards-compliant and passes the Acid2 (and Acid3, iirc) test, it doesn't help if most of the web sites in real life are less compliant. Complying with standards is the responsibility of web site developers/creators, but KHTML devs could also probably help a little by trying to make Konqueror still render non-compliant pages properly. Opera is another standards-compliant browser, and yet it's able to render more pages properly (although it still can't do some Google services).

@kuja: true, some devs don't like the Unity project, specially after what Apple has done in the past, when they first took KHTML. But I'm sure the devs are smart (cunning?) enough to be able to find a way to make sure it doesn't happen again. :)

@RAV TUX: yeah Opera's sweet, too. It's fast and light, and it's Qt-based! Although, you need to get used a bit to the different interface and workflow, specially URL tab completion.

podunk
November 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I was utterly conquered by Konqueror.

This is by far the neatest piece of software I've ever seen.

BWF89
November 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I use Firefox because of the extensions. I use Konqueror as my file browser but I think it's neat that I can enable tabs and browse my files in one tab and search the web with another.

chaosgeisterchen
November 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Concerning Opera I am still unsure. It's more or less the most lightweight Qt-based browser I assume and it's lightning fast compared to Firefox and Konqueror. So I use it for secial issues but in general I do still mostly use Konqueror just because it's workflow is too nice and I won't give away those Strg + $key - shortcuts in the future.

hoagie
November 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I prefer firefox, than any other web browser. I never tried kong to be honest but who cares I have firex to suit my needs.

PryGuy
November 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Firefox wins hands down!!!!!!!!

argie
November 25th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I use Konqueror now, I love the shadows, I love the Ctrl+(key) for links. It loads faster, is also the filemanager and Flash works fine :)

Christmas
November 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I use Konqueror and Firefox, both are great browsers but Konqueror doesn't detect correctly Romanian characters (even after I set encoding to Central European (USO 8859-2)) and Firefox is extremely slow. I use Kubuntu so Konqueror wins.

qalimas
November 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I only have Firefox installed on my laptop now to make sure my web pages look right in it. Same with Opera. Konqueror is my browser of choice, as I can have my home folder opened in it, PDFs, FTP, WWW, etc...

pichalsi
November 25th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Well I use konq sometimes but i prefer firefox because of extensions - mouse gestures (i really cant live without it), google browser sync, adblock and i used to use gmail notifier but i now i threw it away and use the kde tool

argie
November 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Oh by the way, mimicking Mozilla works fine for Gmail, and for some other sites as well.

Yopo
November 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
In my experience Konqueror isn't better in displaying websites correct. I've come across a few websites that Konqueror didn't display correct while Firefox had no problem with it or at least displayed it better.

shining
November 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
In my experience Konqueror isn't better in displaying websites correct. I've come across a few websites that Konqueror didn't display correct while Firefox had no problem with it or at least displayed it better.

It isn't obvious to me that being able to display broken sites is a good thing. Brokens site should stay broken, so that everyone complains and whines to its web developers, or stop using it. That way, there are more chances the site will eventually get fixed.

Otherwise, if Konqueror doesn't display correctly, or display poorly a well written website, then it's obviously a big downside.

rattlerviper
November 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Konq hands down for me...Then Opera...FireFox comes in as a distant third for me that I only use when doing my online banking as Konq does not function with my banks website(in fact nothing is supposed to except IE). Yes Konq is MUCH faster even on 32 bit computers, more secure and better pop up blocking than firefox, though perhaps not quite as good as Opera and it's ability to block ads on demand.

entangled
November 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
As a browser I think konqueror and firefox are fairly equal; konqueror browses fast and mostly renders well (but a few sites have strange text layout). Firefox seems to render all sites. The Java plugin was a problem in konqueror but now works well after pointing to the right version of java - ns7 works for me.
As a file manager konqueror easily beats nautilus, for speed and convenience. Network browsing in konqueror is amazingly quick, esp when compared with Windows Explorer on the same network.
Konqueror is a capable utility manager and covers most of the system.
Sometimes I use kde, sometimes gnome, konqueror is the program I use most.

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
As a file manager konqueror easily beats nautilusthe other way around is correct. nautilus is intuitive and works in a natural way. its also reliable. konqueror is the exact opposite. i'm just letting off steam at the moment at all the <expletive> annoying things about konqueror which, as a file manager, make it a handicap at best and next to useless at worst.

kuja
November 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
the other way around is correct. nautilus is intuitive and works in a natural way. its also reliable. konqueror is the exact opposite. i'm just letting off steam at the moment at all the <expletive> annoying things about konqueror which, as a file manager, make it a handicap at best and next to useless at worst.
Like?

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Like?
1) imagine that you have 60-100 themes or icon sets all as tarballs. sometimes when one selects them all and right clicks on them, they just bring up the right click menu. however, often they open the files each in a separate window. and that means 60-100 windows all opening one after the other. rather than going round closing all 60-odd windows, i have to do a soft reset on the PC. THAT IS SO DAMN ANNOYING! its not like its now and again. whenever i use kde, it becomes a regular occurance.

2) frequent crashes that seem to point to something ill at ease with pthreads (after doing a backtrace). sometimes, all thats needing to cause a crash is to right click on a directory. i mwan, its not like its something thats diastro specific. it happens in ALL distros using kde.

3) listing dot directories in a directory before normal directories (minor annoyance)

4) when untarring theme tarball files, i have to do them 1 at a time because if i do more than 1 or 2, most of the time (about 80%-90% of the time) konqueror only untarrs a small number of them and gives up. this could be a problem with ark too. in nautilus, i can select even as may as 100 or more directories and i know for a fact that it will faultlessly untar them or tar them ALL.

5) when i press the UP button, konqueror returns to the top of the directory rather than where i've just come from. nautilus goes back to where one has coeme from wether the user presses UP or BACK. thats the way things should be.

6) when i open up a large directory (eg .usr/lib or /usr/share/apps), konqueror seems to give the impression that its loaded all the directories. so when i double click on "apps", it ends up opening up a completely different directory becausein the split second whilst i'm double clicking, konqeuror bursts into life again and loads the rest of the directories in several short irregular bursts.

7) when in a directory with lots of directories, i don't want to have to type at a rate of 5 billion letters per second in order to go to the directory that i want. for example, if i type in "icon" quickly, i wil still find myself at a directory beginning with "o" because konqueror interprets the nano second time lapse inbetween typing "i" and o" as a new search. that is SO ANNOYING! in nautilus, i can quite easily and leasurely type in "icon" and it will go to "icon". if i type in "clearlooks-d", it will go to (eg) "clearlooks-dark"

8 ) konqueror is incredibly slow when opening up large directories. as an aside, Linux Format recently compared the speeds between konqueror and naultilus, and nautilus beat it on the all but one (being slower by 1 second to konqueror ) of the tests hands down.

9) there are many others that have been annoying me recently, but thats to give an inkling of how unintuitive and quirkily unatural in its workings konqueror is.
nautilus has none of the above faults and executes them perfectly. its also stable.
i like PCLinusOS, but i really don'ty think i can take much more of this shoddy piece of programming that is konqueror! ](*,)](*,)](*,). its nothing but a <expletive> pathetic excuse of a file manager.
*end of rant*

fuscia
November 26th, 2006, 01:58 AM
nautilus scripts make switching to root, for editing or other actions, much easier than konqueror (thunar does it even more easily). konqueror certainly renders smilies more correctly than firefox, though.

bailout
November 26th, 2006, 02:00 AM
the other way around is correct. nautilus is intuitive and works in a natural way. its also reliable. konqueror is the exact opposite. i'm just letting off steam at the moment at all the <expletive> annoying things about konqueror which, as a file manager, make it a handicap at best and next to useless at worst.

Ever since I have been browsing these forums and became aware of your posts you have been 'letting off steam' or rather 'spreading FUD and hate' towards everything KDE at every opportunity. FFS why don't you just stick to gnome/xfce etc if you hate KDE so much. If you do love and use gnome why do you feel the need to badmouth KDE in every KDE thread?

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Ever since I have been browsing these forums and became aware of your posts you have been 'letting off steam' or rather 'spreading FUD and hate' towards everything KDE at every opportunity. FFS why don't you just stick to gnome/xfce etc if you hate KDE so much. If you do love and use gnome why do you feel the need to badmouth KDE in every KDE thread?
no, that was letting off steam from using kde for about 5 or 6 years. this time its letting off steam from using kde at the moment. its not FUD. try them all out for yourself. whilst konq does a good job at trying to be a swiss army knife, a good file manager it is definitely not.
also, i was asked by kuja what the many problems of konqueror are, so i told him about a handful of them.
besides, you've got a cheek for having a go at someone for slating a desktop

FyreBrand
November 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I like Konqueror. I use it 85% of the time or more. But like it's been pointed out some sites just don't work as well in Konq as they do in Firefox. Mostly these are Java or AJAX sites like Moodle or Google's applications.

Most other sites work just fine with it. I like most all of the features about it, but the integration is taking a little getting used to. It's been pretty stable for me, at least as stable as nautilus, firefox, or opera have been.

qalimas
November 26th, 2006, 03:53 AM

I like being able to type where I want to go in an address bar. Anywhere from SSH, FTP, SMB, anything. With GNOME, I have to go through the process of making the connection and whatnot first, then using an icon it slams on my desktop. I see Konqueror as having a HUGE advantage, with a simple address bar that GNOME took out for God knows why ><

Jucato
November 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM
nautilus scripts make switching to root, for editing or other actions, much easier than konqueror (thunar does it even more easily). konqueror certainly renders smilies more correctly than firefox, though.

Have you tried right-clicking on a file (owned by root) and selecting Actions -> Edit as Root in Konqueror?

Anyway, let's keep the thread on topic, shall we? We're talking about Konqueror as a web browser versus Firefox. I don't see why Nautilus entered the picture... even if someone mentioned it out of the blue. Just ignore the unrelated comments and be on our merry way.

shining
November 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
no, that was letting off steam from using kde for about 5 or 6 years. this time its letting off steam from using kde at the moment. its not FUD. try them all out for yourself. whilst konq does a good job at trying to be a swiss army knife, a good file manager it is definitely not.
also, i was asked by kuja what the many problems of konqueror are, so i told him about a handful of them.
besides, you've got a cheek for having a go at someone for slating a desktop

Are all these problems reported? At least, we could have some hopes that konqueror will eventually be improved if they were. :)

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Are all these problems reported? At least, we could have some hopes that konqueror will eventually be improved if they were. :)
yes, i suppose i should. some of them are bugs and some of them are due to the fact that the devs don't seem to have a clue about user interface design (or they overlook it completely).

I like being able to type where I want to go in an address bar. Anywhere from SSH, FTP, SMB, anything. With GNOME, I have to go through the process of making the connection and whatnot first, then using an icon it slams on my desktop. I see Konqueror as having a HUGE advantage, with a simple address bar that GNOME took out for God knows why ><
the gnome devs haven't taken the address bar out, and it was never taken out. its enabled by default in most, if not all, distros. if its not already enabled, just go into the menu and select preferences and select "always show address bar".

as a browser, i prefer firefox. i miss the extensions when in konqueror. and as many people point out, even though its not a fault of konqueror, many pages don't seem to render correctly in konq. also, i hate the way that menus work in konqueror and kde (it means that i can't have long menus any longer than about 12 entries).

Steveire
November 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
ComplexNumber:

You claim Konqueror is pathetic, but the points you listed above only indictate that it doesn't suit you.

It suits me almost perfectly. If it's pathetic, how do you explain that?

AlphaMack
November 26th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Tried them all, but I keep coming back to Firefox because of these:

Google Browser Sync
CustomizeGoogle
NoScript
SwitchProxy
VideoDownloader

And to top it off, I use the Mostly Crystal theme. 8)

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM
ComplexNumber:

You claim Konqueror is pathetic, but the points you listed above only indictate that it doesn't suit you.

It suits me almost perfectly. If it's pathetic, how do you explain that?
because you obviously overlook the bugs and the poor design in software.

Steveire
November 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I didn't say it was bug free. Many of the bugs you listed above only exist in your head. Why should the up button perform the function of the back button when konqueror already has a functional back button?

I don't encounter the others because I don't use my computer in the same way that you do.
I don't have .files visible at all.
Give it a minute when you open /usr/share/apps so that it can load icons for all the folders before you click one.

It doesn't cater exactly to your needs. That doesn't mean it's pathetic.

ComplexNumber
November 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Many of the bugs you listed above only exist in your head.
yeah, right :rolleyes:. they exist. be told!

Give it a minute when you open /usr/share/apps so that it can load icons for all the folders before you click one.
why is konqueror so slow compared to nautilus?

kuja
November 26th, 2006, 11:18 PM
That's funny, /usr/share/apps came up and rendered on both my computer, and my little brothers older, slower computer, in less than second. I see no problems here.

fuscia
November 27th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Have you tried right-clicking on a file (owned by root) and selecting Actions -> Edit as Root in Konqueror?

that only applies to text files. nautilus scripts allow for converting a directory to root for doing things like moving files, editing, etc.

kuja
November 27th, 2006, 01:43 AM
With regards to privilege escalation in Konqueror... that's an ancient wishlist item, it can be found here: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5522
P.S. I've got 20 votes on it myself.

blackmh
November 27th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I have used KDE for year or so and with edgy coming out, I switched to GDM for good. There are these things in KDE making me nervous from time to time and I found there are less of those things present in Gnome so I'll stick with it. Beside that, KDE feels "hacky", raw, like things are botched together in 5 mins. I'll give it another try when 4 comes out but I also hope most annoying things in gnome will be fixed by that time.

After all, its still matter of taste and choice and its better to have multiple choices then 1 (win).