PDA

View Full Version : Programmer but Linux Noob needs to install LAMP

mickbw
November 24th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I am fairly knowledgeable about using PHP and mySQL but only in a windows environment and only set up through IIS.

SOOOOOOOOOO, I have a brand new Edgy Ubuntu desktop install and have installed Eclipse with the PHP and ColdFusion plugins. Now I want to install LAMP and all the instructions indicate installing LAMP through Ubuntu server.

Now I am only planning to use this box for testing of the pages, to mirror my ISP environment , and learn Apache. Would I be best off to:

Find the package and install it on my desktop. I would prefer doing this unless there are reasons it won't work.
Install Ubuntu Server in addition to the desktop.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Black Friday,

Michael

shining
November 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Isn't the only difference between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop the set of packages installed by default?
There is no reason you can't install and setup all the servers you want.
Just like you can install Ubuntu desktop, which gives you the Gnome desktop environment, and then install Kubuntu in addition, and also get the KDE desktop.

mickbw
November 24th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Isn't the only difference between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop the set of packages installed by default?
There is no reason you can't install and setup all the servers you want.
Just like you can install Ubuntu desktop, which gives you the Gnome desktop environment, and then install Kubuntu in addition, and also get the KDE desktop.
Thanks Shining.

I was able to install LAMP last night and it went flawlessly except it didn't give me enough time to make a turkey sandwich because it went too quickly.